Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak Fish Finder

Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Kayak Fish Finder - 02/26/21 04:44 PM

In the market for a fish finder for a kayak. Not wanting to spend more than 450. Any thoughts or lessons learned on what unit I should or should not entertain?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/26/21 04:54 PM

Garmin Stricker 4
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/26/21 06:49 PM

i use the Garmin Striker 4 cv (clear view). it's easy to use. i don't think it's made me a better fisherman but i enjoy the features on it. i paid about $180 for the finder and $100 for the 10ah Noqua battery. with your budget of $450 you might be able to get something with a bigger screen.
Posted By: jimmytimmy87

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/26/21 07:12 PM

Lowrance Hook 9 is what I run. I really like it. You could get a 5 (or maybe 7) inch display with mounts for 450 new. Whatever you get, I would go no smaller than 5 inches. GPS is a must as well. BOLO, Bass fisherman sell "old" ones all the time in the classified section.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/26/21 08:27 PM

I have a Lowrance Hook2-7 I’d let go pretty reasonably. Used it on my skiff for a few months. Let me know if you’re interested.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/27/21 01:44 AM

I used a Garmin Striker 4 as well. It's impossible to beat for the money. It gives you the depth, water temp and good visibility of the structure beneath.... All for $120 with intuitive controls.

I use a Lowrance HDS now, the features and graphics are better and it's fun to play with... The Sideview is very helpful, but most of the features are nice, but not necessary.
Posted By: elm creek

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 02/27/21 06:07 PM

I have a Garmin 5CV on mine, with ram mount and battery have about 375 in it.
Posted By: 45er

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 03/08/21 02:26 PM

I bought a Humminbird Helix 5. I'm pretty sure these can be had within your price range. Mine came with down imaging (DI) and a chip that added to the internal mapping system already hardwired into the unit. I like it but since it's my first, I can't tell you it's "better" than other makes models. Good luck in finding one that suits your needs.
Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Re: Kayak Fish Finder - 03/08/21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 45er
I bought a Humminbird Helix 5. I'm pretty sure these can be had within your price range. Mine came with down imaging (DI) and a chip that added to the internal mapping system already hardwired into the unit. I like it but since it's my first, I can't tell you it's "better" than other makes models. Good luck in finding one that suits your needs.

I ended up going with the Hook Reveal 5. Should be good for what I am looking for. Time will tell.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum