Texas Fishing Forum

Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery?

Posted By: jimmytimmy87

Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 03:23 PM

I run a regular deep cycle marine battery for my 30# TM. It was right at 100$ and gives me plenty of power to last all day. It is by now means broken, BUT it is super heavy (pushing 70#.) That makes me ride with a low drag in the water. It also takes up a lot of room in the tank well. Recently, I heard about lithium batteries for TM.

1) They are expensive, but seem to be worth it in the long run. Do you agree?
2) What size do you need for small TM to run all day? (54aH seems to be good)
3) Lithium seems to be the main ingredient, but there are lots of other combos (IE: iron, phosphorus, etc.) What is the best/best for the money?
4) Trends seem to dictate that prices for these batteries will drop. Should I wait to pick one up?
5) Right now, I can go about 3 MPH with my TM. If I switch to a lithium battery (and lose 50#), it would stand to reason my speed would increase. Would this increase be enough to justify the >300$ price tag?

If there is anything else you know about them that you could throw in, I'd appreciate it. Just looking to make an informed decision...
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 05:12 PM

1) Personally, I think they are worth it. Weight and size makes a big difference in a Kayak

2) This depends upon your use. You can size down a little because Lithium will run at full power down to about a 10% remaining charge... Lead batteries will start tapping out at 50% remaining charge (and will not fully deplete). However, I would get the largest capacity that you can afford... You won't be upset if you finish the day with 50% remaining, but you will be upset if it taps out 2 hours before you are done fishing.

3) I don't know the answer to this one. However, if you are spending the money, I suggest that you don't skimp... do your research and get a good one because it will last you a very long time (even if you have to wait and save up a little more).

4) Possibly. Like LED lights, the price came down over time. However, LED's will never be as cheap as incandescents. The same is true of Lithium... they will never be the same price as a lead battery. Have the prices bottomed out? We won't know this until after it has happened.

5) Unless I am missing something, the battery should have no impact on the speed of the TM.

Is it worth $300... Personally, I think it is. They are lighter, smaller, and last a lot longer.

For the record, I am not a lithium expert (far from it). I only know what I read in a few articles over the years. My hands-on experience with Lithium is limited to a fish finder battery and a host of lithium power tools. I will say that there is NO comparison between my Makita lithiums and the old batteries. My Makita cordless tools are more powerful than some of my corded tools and the batteries last a very long time. They also run at full power up until they die... the old batteries would lose power after they were about 50% depleted.

Jerry knows a lot more about Lithium. Perhaps he will see this and chime in.
Posted By: porta

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jimmytimmy87
I run a regular deep cycle marine battery for my 30# TM. It was right at 100$ and gives me plenty of power to last all day. It is by now means broken, BUT it is super heavy (pushing 70#.) That makes me ride with a low drag in the water. It also takes up a lot of room in the tank well. Recently, I heard about lithium batteries for TM.

1) They are expensive, but seem to be worth it in the long run. Do you agree?

*Probably not worth it if someone only goes out goes out a few times per year, like on the 5 major (5 -70 # loading times) holidays. I go out around 100 times per year and also use the same battery for other purposes, so well under 30 cents per use over 10 years with lithium.

2) What size do you need for small TM to run all day? (54aH seems to be good)

*A 54ah lithium will usually perform better than a 80ah lead battery, so I only need around 50% to 65% of capacity compared to lead battery.

3) Lithium seems to be the main ingredient, but there are lots of other combos (IE: iron, phosphorus, etc.) What is the best/best for the money?

*There isn't that much difference in cost for TM sizes, except for very newest lithium version which may not be worth the high price, last time I checked.

4) Trends seem to dictate that prices for these batteries will drop. Should I wait to pick one up?

*Depends on pandemic, import tariff politics, and demand for EVs, etc for china (the present market maker), cost may increase.

5) Right now, I can go about 3 MPH with my TM. If I switch to a lithium battery (and lose 50#), it would stand to reason my speed would increase. Would this increase be enough to justify the >300$ price tag?

*Nope, weight difference has little effect on speed. Changing out the TM weed free prop to APC model air plane prop might get you 3.3 MPH while also using less power draw, but you will tangle a lot more in weeds when around them.

If there is anything else you know about them that you could throw in, I'd appreciate it. Just looking to make an informed decision...

See notes above, hope this helps.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 07:49 PM

I try to fish 80ish days a year. (If only I didn't have to work...) I'm really trying to get a little more speed and space. Right now I run a heavily modified OK Big Game Prowler. I only weigh 180# so this boat has weight to spare. I was hoping the lithium battery would help shed weight and in turn get me moving faster. My current set-up works great, just trying to improve my scene and weigh my options. I'll probably keep running my 70#er until it starts to give out. At that point, it would probably make sense to get the Li battery. I have read Dakota makes a good one. Do any others come to mind?

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 07:52 PM

Also, do they need special chargers?
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/24/21 10:57 PM

Yep, 80 ah, you need LifePO4 for a trolling motor don't go with straight lithium, I wouldn't, maybe a little but you shouldn't be buying it for increase in speed.

Some LifePO4 batteries come with chargers others recommend buying their charger. Your best bet is to buy a LifePO4 charger but they're cheap. Main thing is the charge rate needs to be low (2 amps).

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by jimmytimmy87
I try to fish 80ish days a year. (If only I didn't have to work...) I'm really trying to get a little more speed and space. Right now I run a heavily modified OK Big Game Prowler. I only weigh 180# so this boat has weight to spare. I was hoping the lithium battery would help shed weight and in turn get me moving faster. My current set-up works great, just trying to improve my scene and weigh my options. I'll probably keep running my 70#er until it starts to give out. At that point, it would probably make sense to get the Li battery. I have read Dakota makes a good one. Do any others come to mind?

To get more speed, a long narrow boat like rowers sculling boat is needed, search "hull speed limitation" for info. Hydrofoils are faster, but are not practical.

I am retired but only go half days, 2 half days when on a one week out of state trip, recharge each time. Point being that number of recharges or frequency of use of equipment matters, not warranty years or total number of years something lasts for someone.

Individual fact Ratings comments on Amazon can be useful things to be aware of, but not necessarily the best average star ratings.

JMHO, and long experience.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...280/re-seeking-battery-info#Post13820280

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 12:17 AM

Agree you're not going to get much more speed out of that kayak without jumping into a Torqeedo 1103AC which is about $3000 after taxes. A Bixpy electric motor will increase your speed a little but you'll lose some run time.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 04:42 AM

Agree that brute force with a torqeedo might increase the speed significantly. But if speed is that important, a 3-4 hp gasoline engine weighing around 60 lbs would probably get you there cheaper, or use a jet ski if cost not important?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 12:45 PM

Have you checked on different type propeller? Have seen folks experiment and pick up speed.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by porta
Agree that brute force with a torqeedo might increase the speed significantly. But if speed is that important, a 3-4 hp gasoline engine weighing around 60 lbs would probably get you there cheaper, or use a jet ski if cost not important?

Yes sir a gasser is definitely the cheapest route to go at least initially. The down side is having to carry a gas can and in Texas he would also have to carry a throw cushion and a fire extinguisher on board to be legal. Then there's maintenance on the engine and the noise.

Changing the prop is a good point. It might give you a 1 mph increase if you find the right one.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

Yes sir a gasser is definitely the cheapest route to go at least initially. The down side is having to carry a gas can and in Texas he would also have to carry a throw cushion and a fire extinguisher on board to be legal. Then there's maintenance on the engine and the noise.

Changing the prop is a good point. It might give you a 1 mph increase if you find the right one.

The path of least resistance is to simply purchase a larger TM... a 45-pound thrust will make Kayak scream. flame However, this will necessitate a larger capacity battery.

3MP in a kayak is not a bad speed... enjoy the scenery and crack a beverage on the way.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
Originally Posted by Jerry713

The path of least resistance is to simply purchase a larger TM... a 45-pound thrust will make Kayak scream. flame However, this will necessitate a larger capacity battery.

3MP in a kayak is not a bad speed... enjoy the scenery and crack a beverage on the way.

cheers
Posted By: Bumblebee488

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 11:18 PM

my 12V 35AH lead acid battery hooked up to my 30lb thrust only last me about 3 miles or less before becoming obsolete on my yak (45 lbs) with me (150lbs) and maybe another 15-20 lbs of gear. Having to haul the added 40+ pounds from the dead TM, battery, and mount for another 3-4 miles (plus my catch) made me ditch the idea after a few outings. Still considering upgrading to a larger battery for this upcoming season though.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 11:35 PM

Hull speed calculation for a 13' Prowler is about 5.2 mph, someone would have to be planing on top to get above that speed. Not sure if a torquedo with 3 horsepower would be enough to get that boat on plane, as it is not designed as a planing hull, someone would have to try it. Your present 30 # thrustTM @ 30 amps is about 0.4 HP, the bigger 45# thrust is about 0.6 HP. The bigger 0.6 HP motor might get you from 3 to 4 mph, would be my best guess, a nice increase!

Hope this helps

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/25/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bumblebee488
my 12V 35AH lead acid battery hooked up to my 30lb thrust only last me about 3 miles or less before becoming obsolete on my yak (45 lbs) with me (150lbs) and maybe another 15-20 lbs of gear. Having to haul the added 40+ pounds from the dead TM, battery, and mount for another 3-4 miles (plus my catch) made me ditch the idea after a few outings. Still considering upgrading to a larger battery for this upcoming season though.

You may already know this, but it's best to launch into the wind on open water or going upstream if you're on a river, so you can partially Coast back, to help you with any paddling. But sometimes there won't be launch areas that will make it possible.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/26/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bumblebee488

My boat has a 400# capacity, so I can run a 110AH battery. That said, I run my 30# TM ALL DAY on my kayak with negligible difference from start to finish. I have never been left stranded. I think you would be thrilled with a 90ish AH battery if you can fit it.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/26/21 02:47 PM

Like iConn said, changing props can help. You don't need a wide, fat prop to push a kayak. TM props are made to push a 2000 pound bass boat. I put a 12" model airplane prop on my 40# MinnKota, and cut an inch off each tip. It made no difference in top speed, but I use way less amperage. Most of the "work" is done at the outer inch or so of the prop. A guy in Houston did lots of measurements and he showed a vast reduction in amp draw. I had to reverse the two big TM leads, because the airplane prop turns the other direction. I didn't want 3 forward speeds and 5 reverses. I now have the TM on my aluminum flats skiff(approx. 450 pounds), and pushes it around nicely. IslandJim

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/26/21 06:04 PM

For model props, No cutting, drilling, or rewiring necessary if a smaller than 12" left hand pitch prop is used. This one fits most troll motors without alterations:

https://www.apcprop.com/product/10x4p-lh/

The downside previously written in post # 3 pg 1 @ 5) above is these props are weed magnets, and severe tangling might bring you to a stop. If you catch the tangling early on, sometimes you can untangle, by tilting the motor so the prop is out of water, then spinning the prop in air, reverse and forward, to fling off the weeds. But severe tangling may require that someone use their hands on the prop to untangle, which means somehow bringing the Motorhead on board. Don't ask me how I know....

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/26/21 07:04 PM

For model props, No cutting, drilling, or rewiring necessary if a smaller than 12" left hand pitch prop is used. This one fits most troll motors without alterations:

https://www.apcprop.com/product/10x4p-lh/

The downside previously written in post # 3 pg 1 @ 5) above is these props are weed magnets, and severe tangling might bring you to a stop. If you catch the tangling early on, sometimes you can untangle, by tilting the motor so the prop is out of water, then spinning the prop in air, reverse and forward, to fling off the weeds. But severe tangling may require that someone use their hands on the prop to untangle, which means somehow bringing the Motorhead on board. Don't ask me how I know....

1) How do you know if it is a LH pitch?
2) My TM is a 30# Minn Kota. Will this fit? Does it need the adapters that are mentioned in the description?
For 4$ this is a steal even if it doesn't increase speed.

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 02/26/21 09:57 PM

That is the LH prop that will fit your motor as well as the one for some other brands. You won't need the adapter unless the hole in your original propeller is different than 3/8 in, you can measure your original propeller and contact them about that. Your highest speed will usually be a little faster but use considerably less battery power for the 30lb TM, but your slower speeds will be somewhat lower than they were with your original propeller. That changes somewhat for more powerful TM's, they may use more power and go considerably faster at highest speed, depending on the brand RPM. The original propeller can be carried on board, in case you should get into weeds, you can quickly change back to weedless.

Another modification that can help speed and efficiency considerably is to add a longish (carved or 3D printed) teardrop fairing to the TM downshaft. That basically changes the shape of the down shaft from round to the shape of a flattish airplane wing, with the thickest part of the wing pointing towards the front of the boat. Putting a tapered spinner (available at model airplane hobby stores) behind the prop also helps a little.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 03/01/21 02:54 PM

porta, and others: I made a prop spinner out of a plastic wine glass I got at the thrift store for $.25. Cut off the stem, painted it flat black, and it looks like a factory part. IslandJim

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 03/01/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by IslandJim
Like iConn said, changing props can help. You don't need a wide, fat prop to push a kayak. TM props are made to push a 2000 pound bass boat. I put a 12" model airplane prop on my 40# MinnKota, and cut an inch off each tip. It made no difference in top speed, but I use way less amperage. Most of the "work" is done at the outer inch or so of the prop. A guy in Houston did lots of measurements and he showed a vast reduction in amp draw. I had to reverse the two big TM leads, because the airplane prop turns the other direction. I didn't want 3 forward speeds and 5 reverses. I now have the TM on my aluminum flats skiff(approx. 450 pounds), and pushes it around nicely. IslandJim

Interesting. With enough patience (and precision) I wonder if someone could simply cut a TM prop down with a Dremel and finish it off with a bench grinder? This would keep the pitch in the correct direction.

I would try with a spare prop first because it might be a big flop...

Re: Running a TM on yak... Lithium battery? - 03/01/21 08:19 PM

From Mike "Interesting. With enough patience (and precision) I wonder if someone could simply cut a TM prop down with a Dremel and finish it off with a bench grinder? This would keep the pitch in the correct direction."

From IJ above "Most of the "work" is done at the outer inch or so of the prop. A guy in Houston did lots of measurements and he showed a vast reduction in amp draw."

Usually cutting down any original weedless prop is not a good idea, unless you're forced to- because a smaller prop with a different length and pitch is not available. Though the pitch stays the same, it results in a prop that drains much less power from the battery and that goes much slower unless the motor is over volted. Cutting the length of an RC prop cuts the power that is delivered by the original prop where the "work" is done, and cutting the width down reduces torque delivered, also reducing power delivered. The existing eficiency balance of the prop design is diminished or destroyed.

Another trick that I used for many years without any motor damage was to run a 5-speed, non electronic speed control 12v Troll Motor at 24v on speed 5 only, by using a model airplane prop of lower or less aggressive pitch or a prop that came from a 24 volt motor. The trick was to keep the current below the maximum rated current and use a separate external speed control, since it's the amps that overheat a motor. A 12 volt 30 amp motor was run at 24 volts and 25-30 amps maximum by using a prop from a 24 volt motor. That way someone can get twice the power out of an existing motor without Burning It Up. Shorty Evans is no longer in business, but they had a variety of different trolling motor props at very reasonable prices.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum