Texas Fishing Forum

Teach me about waders

Posted By: Superfluke

Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 01:48 PM

This will be my 1st spring to fish out of a kayak and I'm not sure which kind of waders I should be looking to purchase to stay dry and warm until the water temp comes up. What's the difference between PVC and neoprene? Do the ones with built in boots work better than the stocking footed ones? Not exactly sure what I need to be looking for or how to ask. Lol. Any and all info is appreciated!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 03:11 PM

I would not wear waders in a yak, if you roll it or just fall out and they fill with water and you have a problem if you can't stand up.

invest in a good rain suit like bps 100 mph or cabelas guidewear etc. and learn to layer with fleece/longjohns to what temp dictates.

you can remove layers as you warm up.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I would not wear waders in a yak, if you roll it or just fall out and they fill with water and you have a problem if you can't stand up.

invest in a good rain suit like bps 100 mph or cabelas guidewear etc. and learn to layer with fleece/longjohns to what temp dictates.

Hop ,how many times have you fallen out of your kayak and your waders filled up?
roflmao
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 04:41 PM

For full disclosure, I do not wear waders in the kayak, nor does my son.... so take all of this with a grain of salt.

However, my son trout fishes in Arkansas and I bought him a nice set of waders for 2020 Christmas. Because of this, I did a lot of research before dropping several hundred bucks!

The PVC waders (what my son bought for himself a couple of years ago) are relatively inexpensive. They will do the trick but they are thinner and are relatively easy to tear.

The neoprene waders are much thicker and will be much warmer... however, If you have a pedal yak, they will limit your leg movement a little and will be too warm in Texas (in my opinion).

I ended up buying him a set of Gore-tex type waders from Orvis (and yikes, they are pricey!). The Orvis waders are not branded Gore-Tex... different brand with Gore-Tex like application. I felt these were the best of both worlds.... thicker, but not too thick. My son LOVES them.

The ones with stocking feet are a better fit. However, you need to purchase a pair of wading boots to go with them and that will cost an extra $75 to $250 (depending upon what you buy).

Lastly... the waders will not fill up with water if you fall out. Especially if you wear a chest strap.

Saying this, I am curious why you want waders in a kayak? In my opinion, they are not necessary in Texas. They would be nice to have in January and February... but my old butt stays off the water when it's cold. LOL.
Posted By: Superfluke

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
For full disclosure, I do not wear waders in the kayak, nor does my son.... so take all of this with a grain of salt.

However, my son trout fishes in Arkansas and I bought him a nice set of waders for 2020 Christmas. Because of this, I did a lot of research before dropping several hundred bucks!

The PVC waders (what my son bought for himself a couple of years ago) are relatively inexpensive. They will do the trick but they are thinner and are relatively easy to tear.

The neoprene waders are much thicker and will be much warmer... however, If you have a pedal yak, they will limit your leg movement a little and will be too warm in Texas (in my opinion).

I ended up buying him a set of Gore-tex type waders from Orvis (and yikes, they are pricey!). The Orvis waders are not branded Gore-Tex... different brand with Gore-Tex like application. I felt these were the best of both worlds.... thicker, but not too thick. My son LOVES them.

The ones with stocking feet are a better fit. However, you need to purchase a pair of wading boots to go with them and that will cost an extra $75 to $250 (depending upon what you buy).

Lastly... the waders will not fill up with water if you fall out. Especially if you wear a chest strap.

Saying this, I am curious why you want waders in a kayak? In my opinion, they are not necessary in Texas. They would be nice to have in January and February... but my old butt stays off the water when it's cold. LOL.

I dont really know if I need/want waders or not. Trying to figure out how to stay dry/warm in my yak. Maybe I should ask what people wear to keep their feet warm/dry since my upper body will stay warm from casting/paddling? I'm just trying to figure things out because I'll start hitting the water at the end of the month.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 05:08 PM

I have never worn waders in a yak. If it is cold, I prefer to wear a rain suit and warm base layers underneath it.

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
Originally Posted by hopalong

Hop ,how many times have you fallen out of your kayak and your waders filled up?
roflmao

never wore them in the canoe or c-1, I have helped rescue a few in colorado that just fell in while wading. I wore a wetsuit and then layered over that.
fill em up sometime and try swimming, video scores extra points and a pm from derek or mudshark (I do have to pay them to pm ya tho) grin

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Superfluke
Originally Posted by Mike@972

I dont really know if I need/want waders or not. Trying to figure out how to stay dry/warm in my yak. Maybe I should ask what people wear to keep their feet warm/dry since my upper body will stay warm from casting/paddling? I'm just trying to figure things out because I'll start hitting the water at the end of the month.

dive boots for shoes, warm and if they do get water in them they are still reasonably warm, sorta. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-neoprene-wading-boots-200611143?gmc_feed=t&campid=71700000050238199&adgroupid=58700004916746674&device=c&keyword=92700057163983502&Channel=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlNDO_KjT7gIVPx6tBh2RMAWpEAQYCSABEgK-F_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=14409&ogmap=SEM|PLN|GOOG|SHOP|c|OUT||NonBrand-Shopping-HighIntent-Outdoor|Outdoor-Fishing||71700000050238199|58700004916746674

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Superfluke

Obviously, waders keep your legs dry when you get in the kayak. However, they also keep your legs and most of your torso dry when you fall out. The latter is most important in cold water conditions.

Saying this, the latter is not terribly important to me because I shy away from the cold air temps. I realize that you can still get hypothermic regardless of air temp. However, I don't fish below 50 degree air temp(ever)... Im a 60 degree plus wimp.

When I do fish cold water, I don't go far from the truck (even if the air temps are warm).... this way I can get back quickly if I fall out. Right or wrong, I figure I can muscle through a 5 to 10 minute pedal if I get soaked so long as the air temps are 60+ degrees. I also keep a lighter in my pocket... this way I can start a fire if get separated from my kayak and cannot get back to my truck.

My kayak always has a lighter, paracord and large yard heavy-duty trash bag 100% of the time. I doubt I ever need it, but you never know.

You can keep your feet/legs dry when entering/exiting the yak by picking a steep bank or by using a launching pier at a boat ramp.

When it's warm (even if the water is still cold), I simply suck up the cold water for 30 seconds and walk knee-deep at the boat ramp.

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 06:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRKx69_E34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs&t=169s
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 06:36 PM

I have waders, and I like them for wading; but much prefer these in a kayak (more comfortable, more range of motion)
Water proof
Warm
Layered (can remove layers as the day warms up)
Hi Vis

Northern Tool in Denton

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 06:46 PM

Tractor Supply in Wichita Falls
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 08:10 PM

If you want to get a pair of waders get breathable not neoprene. IMO waders in a yak are a pain because they trap air and puff up. I bought a pair of wading pants and like them much better. I now only wear my waders when I'm wade fishing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZK2RRH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/05/21 08:37 PM

Never wore my waders in the yak. Will wear hip boots if I know I will need to walk part of a creek.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/06/21 02:24 PM

I use waiders in a kayak. Personally, i get the cheapest set of breathable waiders i can find. I use them a season or two and get new ones. I end up with holes all in them from hooks and fins. The downside is taking a leak. You have to get up on your knees and it can be a pain. Ive tried rain type suits but is not great because I always end up walking out deeper than boots will work.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/06/21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
I use waiders in a kayak. Personally, i get the cheapest set of breathable waiders i can find. I use them a season or two and get new ones. I end up with holes all in them from hooks and fins. The downside is taking a leak. You have to get up on your knees and it can be a pain. Ive tried rain type suits but is not great because I always end up walking out deeper than boots will work.

this
with layers underneath
Posted By: porta

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/06/21 07:00 PM

So long as I pick my days so that the wind is under 5 miles per hour and the Sun is out all day, I can tolerate air and water temperatures down into the 50s without waders. But I usually don't wade in the cold water for more than 5 minutes at a time. I use up to two layers of dark color nylon or polyester pants and socks that don't absorb water with open River sandals which drain and dry quickly and stay comfortable from the warm sun. Works for me so long as my feet are in a place where they are not marinating in water and can be at least partially hit by the sun's rays.

Otherwise, if it's overcast, windy, or colder, I use the low cost $60 breathable stockingfoot waders from either Academy or Amazon, at least one size bigger to allow for wool socks. I find the bulby neoprene feet fit well with one or two size bigger Crocs shoes, which are quick on and off compared to lace up wading shoes. For me, the Crocs are good enough for dry land walking, but too slippery should I need to do extensive Rocky River wading.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by porta
So long as I pick my days so that the wind is under 5 miles per hour and the Sun is out all day, I can tolerate air and water temperatures down into the 50s without waders. But I usually don't wade in the cold water for more than 5 minutes at a time. I use up to two layers of dark color nylon or polyester pants and socks that don't absorb water with open River sandals which drain and dry quickly and stay comfortable from the warm sun. Works for me so long as my feet are in a place where they are not marinating in water and can be at least partially hit by the sun's rays.

Otherwise, if it's overcast, windy, or colder, I use the low cost $60 breathable stockingfoot waders from either Academy or Amazon, at least one size bigger to allow for wool socks. I find the bulby neoprene feet fit well with one or two size bigger Crocs shoes, which are quick on and off compared to lace up wading shoes. For me, the Crocs are good enough for dry land walking, but too slippery should I need to do extensive Rocky River wading.

Hope this helps.

thats a good idea
i cannot stand lacing my boots
& they are good ones

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 05:15 PM

Crocs are lighter on someone's feet, float if they fall overboard, don't mildew or drain water in your vehicle since they shake off and dry quickly, easy to clean since mud barely sticks, and are less likely to catch a lure treble hook than a shoelace, plus better comfort than lace up wading shoes- are some advantages I've discovered over the years. They can be custom tightened with a tied piece of paracord left at the arch area, if they are too loose. Ross and other discount places sometimes carry them at 30% of Academy's prices. Of course they are not as good as purposely designed wading shoes, if someone is doing lots of wading in Slippery areas.

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 05:51 PM

I'm the wader king.. I rarely kayak without waders. roflmao Have worn them in 90 degree temps, have worn them when the temps never got above 29 degrees. For me it all about comfort of being in a kayak for 10 hour days, rain or shine, wind, or storm, anywhere.

[Linked Image]

My first kayak was a Perception Illusion. The design of kayak was what impressed me the most about it... 27 inch beam, low profile, paddled like a dream.. which meant it wasn't nearly as affected by wind as other sit on top kayaks. The downside was that you sat below the water line, making even less wind profile, and the seat was constantly filled with water.. no drainage until there was over a inch in seat. Seat pads would help raise you up but you lose a lot of stability in rough conditions. Had to find a way to waterproof my azz. Not only did the waders do that, but they kept mosquitoes and no seeums off me. In the hottest months of the year in the Everglades, I would often get an itchy rash from the hydroids that seemed to show up every summer. Another plus was that during summer rain storms, if you got soaked and it was windy, you were going to be cold until you dried up and the temps got back up. Waders were the lessor of all evils. Never cold, never had chiggers, or no seeums, or mosquito bites to worry about, never had to go to shore and change into rain gear... and it even kept the sun off.

Started out with booted neoprene waders, have been using orvis breathable stocking foot waders with relief zipper for the last 8. Will never buy another set of waders that don't have the zipper. The older you get, the more you'll use it. I don't stand in my narrow beamed kayaks so I gotta have a way to whizz from the sitting position. Going to land is not an option as the places I fish I never want to get out of my kayak. Now I did think the booted waders were the way to go until I tried the stocking foot. I never felt comfortable wearing wading boots over stocking foot, especially in the winter time when you'd be wearing a couple of pairs of wool socks. So I just don't wear boots and carry my crocks in kayak if I ever get stranded and need to walk out. Throw in some chemical warmers in the stocking feet, some in the hand warmer pockets of waders, and with a little paddling you can overheat in the coldest conditions. With experience you can adjust the amount of warmers to make life really comfortable.

Now they do get hot in the summer time, but I can pour water on outside of waders and they'll cool right off. I can pull the chest area of waders down too, as long as I've got the waist belt on, you're not going to have water pouring in like Niagra Falls if you go over. Now it might be different if you're fly fishing a cold fast running river and try to stand up facing upstream... I doubt the waders would fill even like that if you had the chest strap and waist strap properly adjusted.

I don't like fish slime all over my fishing clothes... I like to be able to take my waders off, and go straight to the club! roflmao

Note: Orvis doesn't make the waders I bought 8 years ago... they must have had problems keeping them waterproof. I don't care, if I fall in water I'm out and back in kayak in 10 seconds. Might take on some water that trickles down but its not going to be enough to end my day.

May be pulling the trigger on one of these soon.

https://www.orvis.com/p/men-s-pro-zipper-waders/20n1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urrQUx9KALk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnptxeba4U

Here is the best option if you are the type that wear covid masks. Completely seals around neck and wrists... been there done that with the two piece systems and its not for me.

https://kokatat.com/activity/kayak-fishing/

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 07:11 PM

Peeing from the sitting position has never been a problem for me because I have to use oversized waders. I am thin and tall and have to buy a wader size 13 shoe minimum, which means a lot of extra material space at the chest area. That extra material space pulls down low enough to use a wide mouth pee bottle with watertight cap held outside the waders, if I'm far from shore. Astronaut underwear can also be used as a backup, for bumpy conditions or other issues.

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 08:07 PM

I tried taking a leak while sitting down in kayak with high chest waders in rough conditions on Palestine 8 years ago. I was going to have to loosen straps on pfd, slide wader straps off my sholders, lower chest waders ... Was thinking at the time how stupid it would be if I tipped over and drowned while trying to take a leak.. to make a long story short.. I couldn't see what I was doing with bulky Kokatat pfd and trying to keep waders down low enough and ended up whizzing into unzipped pocket where I keep my camera instead of cup that was just below it.. Fried my camera in pizz... the display on the back looked like some kind of leveling device. Decided that day to bite the bullet and get zippered waders.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/07/21 11:23 PM

Hahahahhahahaba!!!! Thats funny! Most waiders shoulder straps are opposite so they can clip together. I roll them down and pee over the side.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/08/21 11:19 AM

I wear waders (SIMMS) when I kayak during the colder months. Mine are the Headwaters because they are light and cheap. When salt water fishing, I like to get out and wade. Something special about wading. Heck, I do this when I take the boat out. Anyway, I suggest buying a good pair because they will last longer, specifically if you take care of them.

I wear Muck Boots but you need to go two sizes bigger.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/08/21 01:35 PM

I wear breathable, stockingfoot waders with the appropriate amount of layering underneath. Make sure to wear the belt. Whether you go with waders or not it's also important to not wear cotton as it's a poor insulator when wet and takes a long time to dry. Stick to wool or synthetic fabrics (such as fleece) when dressing for kayaking.
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Teach me about waders - 02/28/21 12:43 AM

i use breathable waders only when wading. kayak i just use

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-To...ip-Wader-Cleated/104784118?selected=true
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum