Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips?

Posted By: Mindrop

Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/28/21 12:37 AM

Hey!

I'm down here in San Antonio. I'm new to kayak fishing and the water is starting to warm up, and more importantly, the bass are starting, or just about to start, their pre-spawn feeding. I've got three easy access points to the Guadeloupe, West I-10 overpass, 281 Overpass, I-35 North Overpass, with boat ramps to the river. Do any of you have tips and tricks for fishing the Guadeloupe, or trips for the river itself? I'm in a 10 foot, sit on fishing kayak.

Thanks!
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/28/21 06:29 AM

Depending on which of those spots you put in at it fishes different. Upper river stretches fish great with small spinnerbaits, topwater and swimbaits. There are both largemouth and Guadalupe smallmouth in there. 35 and 10 at New Braunfels and Seguin fish more like a lake with current.

I'll shoot you a PM next time I go. If you want to buddy boat.

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/28/21 06:18 PM

That is an incredible change in patterns for such a short distance. And yes, let me know. I would love a buddy boat if I can go. The Guadeloupe Bass record is only 3.7 pounds and 17.25 inches. I would love to beat that.

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/29/21 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mindrop
That is an incredible change in patterns for such a short distance. And yes, let me know. I would love a buddy boat if I can go. The Guadeloupe Bass record is only 3.7 pounds and 17.25 inches. I would love to beat that.

Guadalupe smallmouth are extremely rare over 3 lbs. My brother had a fish that would have been the Guadalupe smallmouth state record for a short time. The current 3.7 would have displaced it. It was a 3.4 on a favorite stretch of mine. He waited too long to weigh it so it was never certified.
I will keep you posted though because I fish the Guadalupe often. I am taking Monday off to fish and was considering hitting the Guadalupe down by Seguin again but I am pretty sure I'm going to Coleto Creek instead to chase another DD bass.

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/29/21 04:22 AM

I have my one grad school class is on Monday. The other has stuff due Monday, but is asynchronous. So no worries. And yes, I know they are small, that is what makes chasing the record appealing to me, at least for a kayak. I don't think I want to fight a ten pound large mouth in my kayak. Four is much more manageable.

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/29/21 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mindrop
I have my one grad school class is on Monday. The other has stuff due Monday, but is asynchronous. So no worries. And yes, I know they are small, that is what makes chasing the record appealing to me, at least for a kayak. I don't think I want to fight a ten pound large mouth in my kayak. Four is much more manageable.

I've caught up to a 12 lb LMB in a yak (Coleto Creek not the Guadalupe). They are better for catching beasts than a boat.

And my one stretch of river has produced 2 GSM over 3 lbs including the one that technically was a record for a short bit. It came on a fire tiger Heddon Torpedo. They like topwater in that stretch. We get some decent striper through there also.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/29/21 04:31 PM

Been a few years, but I always enjoyed putting in at Rebecca Creek and paddling upstream.

Re: Fishing the Guadeloupe Tips? - 01/29/21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Been a few years, but I always enjoyed putting in at Rebecca Creek and paddling upstream.

Great know! I will mark that down as a place I can launch.

Originally Posted by Lmgreeri

I've caught up to a 12 lb LMB in a yak (Coleto Creek not the Guadalupe). They are better for catching beasts than a boat.

And my one stretch of river has produced 2 GSM over 3 lbs including the one that technically was a record for a short bit. It came on a fire tiger Heddon Torpedo. They like topwater in that stretch. We get some decent striper through there also.

It just seems to me that you have less leverage, but you are closer to the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum