Texas Fishing Forum

New kayak need new paddle

Posted By: jippedgenes

New kayak need new paddle - 12/15/20 04:31 PM

I finally got a new to me kayak for a really good deal. (Crescent Ultra lite 10). I have a crappy old metal ad plastic bending branches I got for $29 I used with my old kayak I have been paddling for 5 years. I have gotten used to how heavy it is but want to upgrade. (Note: wanted a bigger boat but my truck is dedicated to work so I use my little gas saver car with a rack on top for transport. I think this one will do me fine as I am only 165 lbs and my old kayak was 11'.)

Looking at Aquabound Manta ray carbon shaft paddle with the nylon fiberglass blade for about $150. Are the carbon blades that much better? They are $70 more than the glass blades but only 2 oz less in overall weight. I do not mind spending the $$$ if there is a real benefit.

I am also open for brand suggestions. I reckon I will stick with a 240 cm paddle as my boat is 30" wide and I am a tick under 6' tall.

Help a paddle buyer so he does not make a dumb decision?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New kayak need new paddle - 12/15/20 06:10 PM

Lots of good paddles in the $150 price range. The sad part is that its hard to try out all the different brands before purchasing. I've found that the lightest weight paddles don't work the best for me.. rather have one that doesn't fly out of my lap on windy days. The Manta Ray you're looking at has been one of the best value paddles for a long time. I haven't used it myself but started out with a mid priced Aquabound almost 18 years ago. I've been using a Bending Branches Navigator for the last 7 years... carbon shaft, wood blade/ fiberglass coating, and rockguard. My lightest weight paddle, an all carbon made by ONNO, weighs less than 22 ounces and never gets used unless I'm taking my sister's grandkids out.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: New kayak need new paddle - 12/15/20 06:32 PM

Aquabound Manta ray is what I use
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: New kayak need new paddle - 12/15/20 07:25 PM

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum