Texas Fishing Forum

duct seal /transducer issues?

Posted By: kdub#1

duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/01/20 05:13 PM

Am about to install a thru hull transducer in my canoe. Tee last time I did it I used marine goop, all the videos I am watching right now say to use duct seal.

My question?
Has anyone who has used duct seal had any issues with the transducer/ duct seal falling off while transporting etc?
I guess I'm just skeptical that the duct seal might come loose while the canoe is upside down on top of my truck,ie vibrations etc..

Any input?
Thanks
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/01/20 05:19 PM

Zip tie the transducer to a thwart or something temporary for the drive. After unloading the canoe, cut the zip tie and put the Duct Seal compound onto the canoe floor and then bury the transducer in it. If you avoid making air bubbles, it should work.

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/01/20 05:54 PM

That could work, but if I need to mess with it every time out I think I will just go the ole silicone route. Thanks for he input thumb
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/02/20 03:45 AM

I have transducers in my SoloSkiff and two of my kayaks, all mounted in Goop. The Solo for nearly five years and the two Ocean Kayaks for nearly double that. No issues yet with any of the installations. No need to ditch the Goop.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/02/20 04:07 PM

I have used Goop and the duct seal water well method.
The Goop method is far easier and more secure and didn't notice any difference with the duct seal water well method.

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/02/20 07:56 PM

^^ The duct seal method I have seen lately does not use a water well. They say to stick the transducer firmly into the duct seal and stick it on the yak just like that..

Good lord! I tried to remove the old transducer that I had mounted with goop. That sucker ain't going anywhere. I just cut the wires, it was broken anyways. Anyways I'm going to stay away from the duct seal and try marine silicone this time in the hopes that I ever want to remove the transducer again that it will be easier than the goop.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: duct seal /transducer issues? - 12/02/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kdub#1

^^ The duct seal method I have seen lately does not use a water well. They say to stick the transducer firmly into the duct seal and stick it on the yak just like that..

Good lord! I tried to remove the old transducer that I had mounted with goop. That sucker ain't going anywhere. I just cut the wires, it was broken anyways. Anyways I'm going to stay away from the duct seal and try marine silicone this time in the hopes that I ever want to remove the transducer again that it will be easier than the goop.

I agree. I once had a transducer mounted with goop to a fiberglass hull of a bass boat (the rough side of fiberglass). My transducer (or cable) went bad and I had to replace it. The transducer was mounted in a very small well near the plug (too small to accommodate a second transducer). I wanted the new transducer mounted to the same area because it was the lowest and flattest point of the hull... I had to use a multi-saw and grinder to remove the old goop. I don't know what they make that stuff out of, but it's STICKS like none other!

I have also used two-part epoxy putty and it worked just fine. However, I believe goop to be better because the epoxy can get pretty hard and might not flex with the hull.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum