Texas Fishing Forum

Your thoughts

Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Your thoughts - 10/10/20 09:43 PM

Hey guys I’m building a kayak & tackle shop in brownwood tx. I would like to hold two tournaments a year one in spring and one in the fall. Instead of measuring fish and sending pictures I would like that we just turn in your biggest bass of the day at weight in. That would mean you would have to build a livewell out of a cooler to keep fish alive. With that being said can you guys post your thoughts and if this is something you would be serious about driving 3 or 4 hours to Brownwood. I have all kinds of ideas floating around in my head to makes the fun and affordable at the same time win some good prizes. Thanks guys
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Your thoughts - 10/10/20 10:01 PM

Wire fish basket will keep them alive all day. No need for a livewell.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Your thoughts - 10/11/20 03:54 PM

Will there be a fish fry afterwards?
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Your thoughts - 10/13/20 02:50 AM

I wouldn't drag a fish around for a tournament. Sucked just dragging my 12.3 a couple hundred yards to get it weighed. Definitely wouldn't want to drag one around all day.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Your thoughts - 10/13/20 04:28 AM

Live weigh-ins for a kayak tournament isn't a good look for kayakers!
Why not do like every kayak tournament and measure, photo, and release?
Unless you intend to have a fish-fry afterward it's not practical!
I used to fish bass tournaments years ago when it wasn't a sin to weigh bass and then take a filet knife to a stringer of bass, and then have a fish fry or fill an ice chest.....Believe me, without a proper onboard live well you will kill a bass in a hurry.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Your thoughts - 10/13/20 12:56 PM

If the lake is not too big you could have a couple power boats serve as livewells. When a yaker catches a bass they weigh it and call a number to see what the biggest fish is so far. If they catch a biggie a boat is dispatched to hold the fish with a tag for the fisherman.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Your thoughts - 10/13/20 07:51 PM

Keep your first tournament easy.. no strict rules that would keep newcomers from entering. I would let all fish count, or open it to other species/divisions to attract all kayak fishermen and not just bass anglers. Open mouth if doing catch, photo, release. With low entry, make it fun for all, and not too serious. Makes for better attitudes all around.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum