Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak storage

Posted By: gander

Kayak storage - 10/08/20 05:51 PM

I am looking to get my garage back to what it was.... a two vehicle garage. I am wanting to hang my kayak from ceiling ( first choice ) or hang on the wall. I would appreciate any info and examples (pics) of what folks are doing with theirs...Thanks
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Kayak storage - 10/08/20 06:36 PM

I had mine hanging from the ceiling, for several years, but it was a huge pain to lower and load by myself. Granted, it is a LARGE (14') kayak, but I've found I prefer it on the floor.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Kayak storage - 10/08/20 08:23 PM

Do you have yard space? If so, you might consider building a wooden (or metal) rack for the yard. This is where I keep mind during the winter months. The most logical spopt (behind the shed) has 80% shade, I also invested in a UV cover to protect the plastic. Otherwise, it says in the garage most of the time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Kayak storage - 10/08/20 09:08 PM

I have plenty of yard space but 50% east sun. I was hoping to hang it but now now that I see your outside set up might be up to building a rack on a garage wall. Thanks

Re: Kayak storage - 10/08/20 10:25 PM

Something like this will allow you to move it around and pick up some gear storage underneath. If you haul your kayak in a truck, you can build it to bed hight to make for easy loading and unloading.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Kayak storage - 10/09/20 12:35 AM

[Linked Image]
Can’t remember what brand rack it was but looks a lot like suspenz ez rack.

Re: Kayak storage - 10/09/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]
Can’t remember what brand rack it was but looks a lot like suspenz ez rack.
Thanks .. I like the idea of this or a ceiling rack in the garage. I dont want it on the floor of the garage because the goal is to have two vehicles and a motorcycle in there also.

Re: Kayak storage - 10/09/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
Something like this will allow you to move it around and pick up some gear storage underneath. If you haul your kayak in a truck, you can build it to bed hight to make for easy loading and unloading.

[Linked Image]
That is a nice setup....I just cant put it on the floor of garage and still have the vehicles in the garage also

Re: Kayak storage - 10/09/20 02:35 AM

Undstood. Looks like Iccon is pointing you in the right direction for your situation... It looks nice.

Re: Kayak storage - 10/11/20 04:53 PM

For my situation, its the easiest way for me to get my kayak off and on my car rack and stored quick. Depending on the type and weight of your kayak, and what you're loading it onto, it might not work at all. I could make it even easier for me if I had j racks on my car, but don't want them on my car 24/7 and taking them on and off is a deal breaker for me... I've used them before. If I had saddles on my car rack it would make loading and unloading a real pain as I would have to flip the kayak and that is not going to work. If I were loading into back of truck or onto a trailer, I would want rack at a much lower height and again, I'm going to have to flip kayak over. Another problem is the design of the kayak and where the balance point is and where your hands can be placed, grab handles... all kayaks are not equal... and balance point will change as you add more stuff to your kayak... rudder, flush mounts, anchor trolleys, gear tracks. You can do a lot of damage to your mirrors with a kayak if not careful... and to yourself. Learn to throw your kayak away from your body when you get in a bad situation... and just remember this is in your garage, when you are at the lake you have to deal with the wind too. Good Luck. roflmao
Posted By: Yakety_Yak

Re: Kayak storage - 10/11/20 10:49 PM

See the link I am providing to see what I use for my kayaks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I7CB4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of using the straps that the company provides, I use my own. The reason for this is because the straps are too long and make it where the kayak sits too low. Now my kayaks sit much higher and are out of the way of everything. This is a great option and it's extremely inexpensive.
Posted By: BigB49

Re: Kayak storage - 10/12/20 12:11 PM

This is how I store mine[Linked Image]

Re: Kayak storage - 10/12/20 03:13 PM

Some good ideas. I will probably look into a rack for the garage wall. I can back truck partially into garage and hopefully lift onto the racks pretty easily.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Kayak storage - 10/12/20 06:35 PM

I have exposed rafters in my garage, so I just screwed in some "heavy duty" eye bolts to hang it from, one in front, and one in back. I use the push button type tie-downs and it just hang it from the handles. Most of the Summer it'll stay on the ground but through the winter it hangs. Keep it simple. Jackson Coosa of that matters.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Kayak storage - 10/12/20 06:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Here is the set up I had for a Native Element kayak which is a hybrid kayak/canoe. 4 eye bolts into the ceiling joists, 4 chains, 4 eye bolts into a pair of 2"x2"s. There are clips or chain links connecting the chain to the eye bolts. This set up works well for canoes. If I was trying to lift a more rounded sit on top kayak, I would use 2 long straps with cam buckles to hang from the ceiling eye bolts in a cradle position.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak storage - 10/13/20 12:18 AM

This is what I do

Attached picture 20200503_092333.jpg

Re: Kayak storage - 10/13/20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
This is what I do
Nice set up ..I have been thinking of a lower position like that and leaning up against garage wall but will probably hang it about 4 ft up off floor. Floor space is needed for other necessities

Re: Kayak storage - 10/13/20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
[Linked Image]

Here is the set up I had for a Native Element kayak which is a hybrid kayak/canoe. 4 eye bolts into the ceiling joists, 4 chains, 4 eye bolts into a pair of 2"x2"s. There are clips or chain links connecting the chain to the eye bolts. This set up works well for canoes. If I was trying to lift a more rounded sit on top kayak, I would use 2 long straps with cam buckles to hang from the ceiling eye bolts in a cradle position.

That looks nice...a ceiling set up will be an option if the wall mount does not work out

Re: Kayak storage - 10/13/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
I have exposed rafters in my garage, so I just screwed in some "heavy duty" eye bolts to hang it from, one in front, and one in back. I use the push button type tie-downs and it just hang it from the handles. Most of the Summer it'll stay on the ground but through the winter it hangs. Keep it simple. Jackson Coosa of that matters.

I dont mean to offer advice where its not wanted... but I'll take a chance do it anyway (sorry if I am overstepping).

Hanging a kayak from the handles is not a good idea for most kayaks. Getting some supports (wood, PVC, wide straps, etc) under the kayak is a better solution, especially for kayaks that have some weight to them. Upside down is best, but this is a hassle because you have to completely unload it. Right side up is convenient (this is what I do), but support becomes all the more important.

Re: Kayak storage - 10/13/20 08:09 PM

This is what I do

That is the most efficient way to load on to a trailer or into back of truck. I don't have a garage door and it would be the easiest way for someone to steal my kayak.
roflmao
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak storage - 10/14/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
This is what I do

That is the most efficient way to load on to a trailer or into back of truck. I don't have a garage door and it would be the easiest way for someone to steal my kayak.
roflmao

Good point. I am guilty of reading the title and not the entire post.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Kayak storage - 10/15/20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
Originally Posted by NoconaBrian

I dont mean to offer advice where its not wanted... but I'll take a chance do it anyway (sorry if I am overstepping).

Hanging a kayak from the handles is not a good idea for most kayaks.

I wouldn't if they are strap style handles!
I once reached down to pick up my kayak and almost fell backward as the strap snapped, and I ended up holding the handle in my hand and the kayak still on the ground.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Kayak storage - 10/21/20 12:27 PM

Sounds like an outside wall mounted rack or an addition on to your shed that covers the kayaks is what you are needing. With 2 vehicles and a motorcycle in a garage I don't see how you'll get any kayaks in there unless it's a 3 car garage.

Re: Kayak storage - 10/22/20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
Sounds like an outside wall mounted rack or an addition on to your shed that covers the kayaks is what you are needing. With 2 vehicles and a motorcycle in a garage I don't see how you'll get any kayaks in there unless it's a 3 car garage.
I don't have a shed and the garage is an oversized 2 car. I am going to try a wall mount about 40" up from floor which would allow MC to park under it. If that doesn't work I guess I will try a ceiling rack or last resort something in backyard.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum