Texas Fishing Forum

If you have not been to Caddo...

Posted By: jippedgenes

If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/28/20 09:52 PM

I finally got a chance to go to Caddo with my kayak. Fished last Friday through Sunday actually on right off the river. Water was muddy on the main but the ditches were much clearer. Never got a big un but stayed busy with 1-2 pounders pretty steady. The best numbers days I have ever had. I would say conservatively 70 fish in 3 days (once into them I might catch 5 fish on 6 casts). A big bonus is the scenery, what a beautiful place. Started with topwaters and got a few boils but no takers. I found a white 1/4 oz spinner bait was the ticket. When they did not feel like chasing and I thought everything turned off I used a light Texas rigged watermelon red flake Zoom trick work with the tail dipped or a wacky yum dinger pitched up on the cypress knees. I tried pitching a jig and craw baits but never got bit. They wanted worms I guess.

It is going to be days before my thumbs grow skin back on them. That is a good problem to have.

Average school fish and some scenery.

If you have not been it is an incredible experience. I fish Lewisville and Grapevine mostly. What little I explored was infinitely more beautiful, and once off the main I did not see any boats. A few kayaks is all.

Attached picture thumbnail (5).jpg
Attached picture thumbnail (8).jpg
Attached picture thumbnail.jpg
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/28/20 10:11 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: CADD

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/29/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb

thumb
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/29/20 05:18 AM

That lake is on my bucket list to peddle!
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/29/20 01:36 PM

This time of the year Big Cypress Bayou above Jefferson with light tackle is an awesome trip too, if you can get access. There use to be a gal in Jefferson who had a canoe rental, and she had access to several of the properties along the bayou. Stellar trips!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/29/20 05:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Just get out before dark as those trees will eat you! roflmao

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/30/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford
This time of the year Big Cypress Bayou above Jefferson with light tackle is an awesome trip too, if you can get access. There use to be a gal in Jefferson who had a canoe rental, and she had access to several of the properties along the bayou. Stellar trips!

That is a pretty close to where we were.

lconn4, I had a thermacell going in the cup holder between my legs and only got bot 1-2 times. It was like a force field around me.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 09/30/20 01:10 AM

My wife and I were there most of the day Saturday in our Ranger.

We were mostly sight seeing but did wet a line or two. cheers
Posted By: fishr3

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/22/20 01:30 PM

Thanks for the trip report. I really appreciate all the info shared here on TFF. I have been kayak fishing Caddo Lake and Big Cypress Bayou over the past 2 years and I'm still trying to figure out how to fish dense grassy areas. My best fishing trips have been on Big Cypress Bayou. There are miles and miles of paddling trails and waterways to explore and fish in this area. Caddo Lake is a paddler's paradise.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/22/20 02:16 PM

what are the red & green paths?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/22/20 05:46 PM

Awesome thread! thumb
Posted By: fishr3

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/23/20 03:58 AM

Green is the main river channel, Big Cypress Bayou. Red are the marked boat roads.
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/23/20 03:33 PM

Great pictures, that place looks really nice, I've wanted to take the kayak out there for awhile.

Any recommendations on good campsites or cabins with easy access to paddling trails with good fishing?

From what I've seen on google maps it looks like Caddo Lake State Park has easy access to Big Cypress Bayou, & the Caddo Lake WMA canoe/kayak launch looks to have good access to the Carter Lake area. Whole area looks like fish & wildlife heaven.

Re: If you have not been to Caddo... - 10/24/20 02:07 PM

Went back. All I caught was 2 catfish ONE ON A BUZZBAIT! That was crazy. Still had a blast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum