Texas Fishing Forum

Killeen/Belton area kayak launch

Posted By: ADDICTED 2 FISHING

Killeen/Belton area kayak launch - 08/25/20 01:21 PM

Hello everyone! I live on the Texas coast and it looks like I will likely be running from hurricane Laura. I will be heading to Killeen TX to stay with family for the weekend. I will be taking the kayak to maybe try some bass fishing, or any fishing for that matter. I know there is Belton lake and a few others locally. NOT looking for any honey holes just a safe kayak friendly launch to use for someone who does not know the lake. Also I am not set on Belton lake, i am open to any local any rivers or bodies of water that anyone can point me to i will consider. Thanks and i appreciate any help!

PS: I am on the coast so i am use to marsh, bays and beaches chasing reds and trout, so targeting bass will be new to me. We have a few ponds over here I get to bass fish sometimes but its all saltwater over here.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Killeen/Belton area kayak launch - 08/25/20 01:37 PM

Lots of options on Belton and Stillhouse. Just launch at the ramps, Temple lake park, Arrowhead, Rogers or Cedar Ridge on Belton. On Stillhouse you have Cedar Gap, Union Grove that should put you in an area for fishing.

Good luck, winds are expecting to blow for the next week
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Killeen/Belton area kayak launch - 08/25/20 03:24 PM

I really like putting in at Miller Springs Park, just below the Belton Dam. Now there are 2 miller springs areas, this is the one where you drive right to where the Leon river is and you can see the base of the Dam. If the Flow is low, I put in there, go down river a mile or 2 and turn around taking out where I put in. If the flow is High, I put in at Heritage Park on the other side of Killeen and go against the current 1rst and then turn around and take out at the Same place. If you have 2 vehicles you can put in at Miller Springs and Take out at Heritage Park (summer fun on map). This is the best way.

[img]https://www.google.com/maps/@31.0844829,-97.4638008,14z[/img]
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Killeen/Belton area kayak launch - 08/25/20 03:54 PM

For Fishing this area of the Leon river, get away from the park before you start, the park is way over fished. Once you are around the 1rst corner, throw anything dark, brown or black, weed less at the banks, at every little stick or brush pile, the fish are mostly right up against the banks, in the over hanging ledges, in the brush pile, in the shade of a branch, I have caught VERY Few in the middle of the river. I like a Motor oil, Worm or Lizard, these are not big fish, but they fight harder than the fish in the lake, and can have some really spectacular colors. Shade, shade shade, they are almost always in the shade. Even throw onto the bank and let it fall right off the edge, let it drop before retrieving, You might be amazed. GL
Posted By: ADDICTED 2 FISHING

Re: Killeen/Belton area kayak launch - 08/28/20 12:03 AM

Well I definitely appreciate all the help! The hurricane shifted more east than expected and I did not have to evacuate. Thanks again everyone cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum