Texas Fishing Forum

Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing

Posted By: medinaD

Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 08/19/20 06:40 PM

We moved in my son at Baylor University this week. We didn't realize there was so much access to fish around the university. He's thinking of bringing his kayak to school next trip. Is the Brazos River in that area good for bass or crappie fishing? Any info on areas or technique would be appreciated.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 08/21/20 06:53 PM

I have not fished that part of Lake Brazos but I've heard theres good fishing in the cove by McLane Stadium. I have put in a few times at the Brazos Spillway Park off of Airport Rd. The best fishing in kayak seems to be the Brazos below the Whitney Dam but you need to be cautious because if the dam lets out, there is very little warning. They blow an air horn and let water out immediately after the horn blows.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 08/22/20 01:33 PM

The chances of water release from Whitney Dam in August are microscopic. Go fish! It's a beautiful area!
Posted By: Razor63

Re: Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 08/23/20 12:56 PM

The corps has a website where you can check to see the flow rate on the Brazos. Looks like they have been generating about every other day for the past week. The schedule can change at anytime but it can give you best guess.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?..._date=2017-06-02&end_date=2017-06-09
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 08/24/20 06:59 PM

This time of year they generate pretty regularly but that really shouldn't affect the river in Waco too drastically. It's pretty wide there and should be able to handle the increased flow without too much trouble. If you're going to put in below Whitney, you'll want to check the site on the previous post and get an idea of what to expect.

Don't know much about the fishing in town, but the fishing upstream from there is fantastic....and yes, so is the scenery.
Posted By: Yak24

Re: Waco/BrazosBaylor Kayak Fishing - 09/25/20 12:27 AM

Put in at the new kayak / canoe launch park just below the Lake Waco dam discharge (the big pipe, not the spillway) just off Lake Shore Dr and paddle down to where it meets the Brazos and fish along the way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum