Texas Fishing Forum

Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville

Posted By: ps1135

Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 07/31/20 06:05 PM

Hello,

I am getting a kayak for my birthday so i can go fishing on bigger lakes(not from shore) in the next month or so, I was wondering if anyone could help me with places to launch on Grapevine and Lewisville. Free is better but willing to pay if needed.

Also would like to stay closer to the southern side for both as I live in Richardson.

Any other lakes recommended near me? if so which ones and launch areas?
dont want to have to drive too far roflmao

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 07/31/20 06:51 PM

To get started, you might want to consider Twin Cove Park on Grapevine. It's $10 to enter, but has really nice amenities (i.e.: Kayak dock with launching ramp within the dock). There is a hard bank next to the dock if you prefer to launch from the grass (this is what I do).

The fishing is decent to good at Twin Coves. I've never caught a wall hanger at Twin Coves, but I've never been skunked either. My largest is a 3-pound bass... but lots 1 to 2 pounders.

There is a lot of boat traffic at the mouth of the cove because of the nearby marina. However, the cove is very deep and you can stay in protected waters while having divers fishing features (i.e.: secondary coves, secondary points, creek beds, standing timber, rock, ledges, humps, grass, etc). Also, Grapevine tends to have relatively clear water (which I prefer).

In my opinion, this is a good place for you to start. I would stay off Lewisville until you get a feel for your new kayak. Lewisville has a lot of boat traffic 9 months out of the year.

Don't rule out Ray Roberts. Its a further drive and the fishing can be tough... but its a low boat traffic lake and it has really good fish (if you can figure out how to catch them!)

Good luck.

Posted By: texas-rig

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 08/01/20 01:08 AM

Happy Birthday and welcome to the Yak-addiction. I agree with Mike, STAY off Lewisville until you are comfortable in the Yak. Twin Coves is a great launch, also look into Murrell park its one cove east from twin coves, and it's free. In Lewisville I stick to Hickory Creek arm of Lewisville, but gotta watch out for wake boats and jet skis. If you get up in the creek usually not as much boat traffic.
Best of luck
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 08/01/20 12:38 PM

Welcome to the kayak fishing world. There isn't many places to launch that don't have some kind of fee. As far as driving....well just my thoughts, kayak fishing is not the easy route. This sport takes work and effort. You will get out of it what you put in to it. There is nothing wrong with paying $7 to support the texas wildlife.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 08/01/20 03:15 PM

Murrell is free and has two ramps you can use to launch (one is a high water ramp which may be closed to boats but you can still launch a kayak there). Twin coves has the $10 fee but can launch at the kayak spot or at the boat ramp. There is also a park in Grapevine just west of the Gaylord (Katie Woods maybe?) that has a $5 fee and a ramp - you can paddle to the dam from there.

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 08/14/20 06:02 PM

appreciate all the recommendations. Just got the kayak in and cant wait to try it when the weather is "less" hot roflmao

Did get a pedal drive so hopefully I can go further than using my arms grin

on another note, is Ray Hubbard any good? any spots to launch there?
Posted By: BassRaiderFisherman

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 09/29/20 02:24 PM

Pilot Knoll Park at Lake Lewisville is a decent spot to launch small boats and kayaks.

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 10/13/20 10:51 PM

went to Grapevine. Launched off of Twin coves. water seemed pretty deep all around(20-30ft). had to go pretty far back on east fork to finally catch a fish after 4 hours of nothing. maybe it was just an off day. it was a bit windy. I threw a jig, cranks(deep and shallow) and spinnerbait with no bites. caught 2 fish in the back in about 4 ft of water with a wacky rigged senko. not much action though.. will have to come back and try again
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 10/14/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ps1135
went to Grapevine. Launched off of Twin coves. water seemed pretty deep all around(20-30ft). had to go pretty far back on east fork to finally catch a fish after 4 hours of nothing. maybe it was just an off day. it was a bit windy. I threw a jig, cranks(deep and shallow) and spinnerbait with no bites. caught 2 fish in the back in about 4 ft of water with a wacky rigged senko. not much action though.. will have to come back and try again

I do not fish the east fork upstream from the marina very often - have not had much luck there. Having said that, the biggest bass I ever saw caught on Grapevine was pulled out of a brush on the east fork by a guy pitching jigs.
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 10/16/20 05:32 PM

I agree with katie woods park you can fish silver lake marina and tire reef and a bridge in there two, lots of spotted bass on small shad patterns And light line
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Where to launch on Grapevine or Lewisville - 11/01/20 04:12 PM

Also the I30 penensula on ray hubbard is good launch kayaks at the east ramp fish the marina tire reefs and riprap all the way to the rock wall side includes a bridge and another marina and tire reef on the rock wall side north of the I30
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum