Texas Fishing Forum

Camping

Posted By: Tallgrass05

Camping - 07/26/20 05:31 PM

No fishing on this trip, but just finished a 9-day, 173-mile kayak camping trip. There was an abundance of bald eagles, beavers, deer, and other great wildlife. I had my first experience with Asian carp jumping and hitting my kayak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Camping - 07/26/20 05:53 PM

Man I bet that was a blast. Where?
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Camping - 07/26/20 07:45 PM

nice
donde ?

Re: Camping - 07/26/20 10:56 PM

Kansas River.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Camping - 07/28/20 02:03 PM

Like this? roflmao

Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Camping - 07/28/20 10:20 PM

Nice....love to kayak & camp...longest I've done is 20 miles .... you get to see a lot of stuff on a trip like that
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Camping - 07/29/20 04:41 PM

I can't imagine how you would pack a kayak for a trip like that. Would love to hear the full story!!

Re: Camping - 07/29/20 05:10 PM

My goal was to carry only 70 lbs of water and gear. Inside the bow hatch was a spare paddle, a dry bag with clothes, spare shoes and sandals, and a dry bag with a sleeping pad, a bed sheet, a light sleeping bag (did not ever use the sleeping bag), and an inflatable pillow.

The black pod in front of the seat held a rain jacket, camera, sunscreen, snacks, backup sunglasses. One cooler behind the seat held dry food and a JetBoil. The other cooler behind the seat held six 20-oz bottles of water. The orange dry bag held all the camping gear--tent, stakes, and collapsible chair. The yellow dry bag is first aid stuff and kayak repair. Bringing up the rear were two 1-gallon water jugs. We each carried about 3 gallons of water.

We had a support truck meet us to replenish water, food, and clothes, and some ice, there’s no practical way to pack 9 days of water on a kayak.

We planned to average about 20 miles per day, but had to go 31 miles on one day to beat some nasty storms.

[Linked Image]

Re: Camping - 07/29/20 06:18 PM

Wow, that is fantastic. Thanks for the details. Support vehicle for supplies was a good idea.

Re: Camping - 07/29/20 08:37 PM

cheers
Posted By: Zedteamk2

Re: Camping - 08/16/20 11:23 PM

Wow, thats awesome !
I need to see if there are any places i could kayak out to , camp a night or two, and kayak back to my jeep near me.

Re: Camping - 08/17/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zedteamk2
Wow, thats awesome !
I need to see if there are any places i could kayak out to , camp a night or two, and kayak back to my jeep near me.

We used to park at Rochelles on the Brazos, kayak upstream to the deeper pools, then camp and fish all night.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Camping - 08/18/20 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Wow, thats awesome !

We used to park at Rochelles on the Brazos, kayak upstream to the deeper pools, then camp and fish all night.

We still do that too sometimes, especially if the water isn’t running too fast-
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Camping - 08/18/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by steveiam
Wow, thats awesome !

Hoping to make the trip from 16 to Rochelle's soon as it cools off a bit
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Camping - 08/18/20 11:23 PM

Awesome post. thumb
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Camping - 08/18/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Schpanky
Originally Posted by steveiam
Wow, thats awesome !

Hoping to make the trip from 16 to Rochelle's soon as it cools off a bit

Yessir, we are looking at an oct trip ourselves-
cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum