Texas Fishing Forum

Quick Reminder!! Safety First!!

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Quick Reminder!! Safety First!! - 06/11/20 12:38 PM

No this is not another thread about PFDs. I think everybody with intelligence knows already to always wear your PFD.

Let's talk about tie down straps!

Good friend of mine had a very scary incident yesterday where he lost his Hobie PA 14 out of the bed of his truck and onto a very busy freeway. He's an experienced kayaker and knows what he is doing, however equipment can fail at the most unexpected time.

This inspired me to double down on my securing of the kayak during transport! And also to replace any and all ageing or even slightly suspect tie-downs.

Thankfully no one was hurt and he was able to retrieve the kayak. As you can imagine this could have been a very serious situation.

So I urge everyone to maybe take a second look at how they secure their kayak, and adding one more strap or anchor point... Well it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Be safe my friends!
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Quick Reminder!! Safety First!! - 06/11/20 01:42 PM

it's amazing to me just how easily things can sprout wings and leave the back of a pickup truck. I had a deer blind do that once and explode all over the interstate. Fortunately, it didn't cause any accidents and the only thing hurt was my pride as I did the walk of shame picking up the pieces....I have double strapped everything since.

Spend another $10 on an extra strap to secure a $2,000 kayak....it just makes sense.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Quick Reminder!! Safety First!! - 06/11/20 03:56 PM

It can happen to anyone. Ive never lost anything yet and i hope i never do. Goint through handles and scuppers might help, wont fix equipment falure but may give you an extra second or 2 to notice the falure. Temp can also make a difference. The hull becomes much softer in the heat of the day.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Quick Reminder!! Safety First!! - 06/13/20 03:52 AM

The sun is a real killer on straps and grab handles. I tie down with two on front and one on back these days. Had only one strap go bad as I was tightening it down and was surprised at how little pressure it took for it to part once a small tear appeared. Grab handles are my main problem. Was just counting the other day how many times I've had to replace a grab handle because they gave way while lifting... 14 times. Have replaced both sides on my oldest kayak three times. I still clean and jerk my kayaks on top of my head to transport to and from the water and that is hard on grab handles but I don't care for trailering kayaks and don't use my cart. The two Native Manta Rays I acquired have four grab handles and I swear they all went bad within a 6 month period. Would have replaced them all at the same time but its not easy to find them in a lot of the stores (Academy or Dicks) out this way and I rarely purchase online in advance. It seems about 6 years is the lifespan for grab handles for me. When one busts as you start to lift, its best to just chunk the kayak away from you as far as possible. First few times I've had it happen I would just drop it straight down and have had them bounce into my shins more than once.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum