Texas Fishing Forum

Palestine 5/25/20

Posted By: lconn4

Palestine 5/25/20 - 05/27/20 03:59 AM

Hit the water around noon... launched out of Kickapoo ramp and headed to an area called OLD FOLKS, three miles away. roflmao Hadn't fished it in since 2013, but really liked it. Last time there about this time of year several years ago, I got caught out in a storm and almost had a heart attack coming through the stumped filled area with 3 foot white caps at my back. It was like I was a pin ball bouncing off the stumps and dropping down off a wave right on top. Made it past the stumps and around the long point only to be hit by more wind to the point I had to bail out and take cover. Thought it was going to hail and took hatch covers off kayak and stuck my head in one and put kayak over me. Large pine tree limbs were crashing all around, really high winds. Hadn't been back since. roflmao

[Linked Image]
I took the picture above earlier that day, and always thought the place was wicked. roflmao I've been out 7 miles offshore in the gulfstream, paddled through a squaw, and been hit by sharks and never felt as helpless as going through that stump field.

I was keeping an eye out on the weather and decided to take the creek route to stay out of wind... would circle around on way back on main lake if weather allowed.

[Linked Image]
Caught a good one right off the bat. Was throwing a 7 in swim bait past every stump in 5 feet of water when I got bit but no hook up. Threw right back and nothing, pulled out the spinner bait and threw it to same stump three times... nothing. Started working up the shoreline and five minutes later decided to go back and try the stump it one more time. Fish slammed spinner bait.

Caught another one off it much smaller then paddled on around to the creek channel opening. Missed a couple, caught a couple of small ones, all on spinner bait.

[Linked Image]
This place is beautiful. Great place to take someone sightseeing. For the most part completely out of the wind and lots of places to hide from it regardless of direction.

[Linked Image]

Went through several downpours and found little places in shore line to hide where it would take a direct hit from tornado to blow me away and no risk of pine trees blowing over on me. roflmao

[Linked Image]

Finally made it back to main lake, it was getting windy and not a lot of fun trying to fish the stumps and wind. Caught a couple more small ones then decided to head back in the other way around.

[Linked Image]
The area around this old duck blind was one of my favorite places to fish. Caught one and lost one today, both small.

[Linked Image]
Lost a good one at the very end of this point... little stump on edge of drop off. Got wrapped in fricking trot line attached to stump and pulled off.

[Linked Image]
Only a 1/2 mile of open water out of the 5 or 6 miles I paddled. Fun day.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Palestine 5/25/20 - 06/02/20 05:03 AM

Caught my PB in wet, drizzly weather and had some other fantastic trips in the rain. Never count those days out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum