Texas Fishing Forum

Bought another yak

Posted By: janie

Bought another yak - 05/03/20 09:23 PM

Since I got my hubby hooked on this sport, he now has my NuCanoe Frontier 10. Been looking for awhile, and Friday i bought the Pelican Catch 100. I've read lot's of bad about these rig's, but today got it in the water. Due to the winds and maiden voyage, I fished a 2 acre stock tank.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Far more stable than I expected,and it tracks nicely. Was hesitant to stand because of the winds, but did anyway and didn't get blown into the next county. Decent seat but added a throwable PFD to sit on which helped a lot.

The forward rod holder's are a joke. No way to paddle with a pole in place. Plenty of storage, and my tackle box slides underneath the seat.

Another bonus is, at 58 lbs i can load/unload this by myself. Biggest drawback? No swivel seat.

Anyway, just wanted to share my opinion on the Pelican. Fishing season is here fella's. Be safe and have fun.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Bought another yak - 05/03/20 11:09 PM

Whatever gets you on the water works! cheers
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Bought another yak - 05/03/20 11:14 PM

Enjoy your new kayak.
Wish you many happy outings.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Bought another yak - 05/04/20 12:29 PM

Congrats on the new yak. cheers
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Bought another yak - 05/13/20 02:43 AM

One of the reasons I like my cheapo Lifetime kayak is how little it weighs. I think mine is around the same weight as yours and its nice to be able to handle it without help. The high end kayaks are tempting and it would be nice to have something big and stable enough to stand up on with ease, but a lot of them I looked at are very heavy and almost need a trailer if you’re going on an outing alone. I’ll stick with what I got for a while and put the savings towards fishing gear.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Bought another yak - 05/14/20 11:52 PM

I have the 120 and I’m very happy with it, it works well for what I use it for-
Glad you like it-
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bought another yak - 05/15/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by janie

Another bonus is, at 58 lbs i can load/unload this by myself. Biggest drawback? No swivel seat.

This is a big bonus in my opinion!
It seems that kayak manufacturers pay little attention to weight with the new kayaks.
A 10 foot kayak shouldn't be pushing almost 100 pounds in my opinion, and many actually do.
There are trade offs which I understand, and plastic kayaks that are rigid and sturdy are going to weigh a ton, it's just the nature of the beast.
Pelican seems to be one manufacturer who is able to work around the weight problem, and still offer a lot of features while keeping the weight down.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum