Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Murray, Ok

Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Lake Murray, Ok - 03/09/20 07:33 PM

Anybody have any experience chasing Smallmouth bass on Lake Murray in Southern Oklahoma from a kayak? Planning a day trip, possibly overnight camp and fish, very soon from Fort Worth up there. I have never been up there for fishing so I have zero knowledge of the area other than the small amount of info i have found via blog/forum posts here in the past & youtube videos i have found. Just wondering if there is a certain area of the Lake to concentrate on, good launch spots, camping grounds that people have experience with. Looks like Marrieta Landing will be the closest option for me & there is camping, shoreline looks rocky so I would think that is a good sign.
Posted By: Lottfisher

Re: Lake Murray, Ok - 03/09/20 08:57 PM

I too have been wanting to kayak fish that lake, but never have. If you want some company I would be willing to meet you their, although it might be better to go after spring break...Lawton
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: Lake Murray, Ok - 03/09/20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lottfisher
I too have been wanting to kayak fish that lake, but never have. If you want some company I would be willing to meet you their, although it might be better to go after spring break...Lawton

Right on, I will let you know when I plan something, was definitely thinking about waiting at least 2-3 more weeks in hopes water temps will come up a bit more. Fished on Saturday at Eagle Mountain and water was still low to mid 50s. This weeks temperature rise should help alot. cheers

Ray
Posted By: Lottfisher

Re: Lake Murray, Ok - 03/10/20 12:20 AM

Low 50s seems pretty cold, I have been on Somerville, twice last week as well as the yegua that feeds Somerville, and the water temps down here are 60-64. I will PM you about a Murray trip...Lawton
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Lake Murray, Ok - 03/10/20 02:41 AM

I believe the Oklahoma spring break is the week after the Texas spring break so it maybe a good time to go.
Most of the Smallmouth are 12” but are entertaining on a light spinning rod. They are in the southern half of the lake up against the rocky shorelines. My late summer early fall go to bait was a Ned rigged TRD. My second place bait was a wacky rigged Yum Dinger. I haven’t had a chance to see what works in the Spring. if you catch bigger fish, please send me a PM and let me know what you are doing. I have next Friday off and may try to make it up there if the forecasted rain percentage drops.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum