Texas Fishing Forum

Coast Guard "If Found" sticker

Posted By: Beer Money

Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/01/20 11:51 PM

I saw where someone found a kayak that looks like it was rigged for flounder gigging empty near Aransas Pass.
I never even thought about this until now, but these stickers seem like a good idea.
Do any of y'all already use these?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/02/20 12:49 AM

Last year I saw a video where the coast guard inspected peoples kayaks and they talked about these stickers.
I called the local coast guard auxillary and they did not have any or know where I could find them.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/02/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Last year I saw a video where the coast guard inspected peoples kayaks and they talked about these stickers.
I called the local coast guard auxillary and they did not have any or know where I could find them.

$4 - $5 each on eBay with free shipping
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/02/20 12:18 PM

This one is not from the Coast Guard but serves the same purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Vinyl-Contact-Sticker-Waterproof/dp/B01EM89754
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/08/20 05:40 AM

I never found any either. hmmm
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/08/20 01:59 PM

USCG - IF FOUND STICKER

$2.00
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/10/20 03:39 PM

Tough to think about the purpose of those, hopefully its just that the boat drifted away from you when you went on bank and not they found it floating without you... like you had gone deep six.

Not a bad idea though, safety first.

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/10/20 04:45 PM

There are all sorts of situations where you can get separated from your kayak. As you get older, you are more willing to accept the separation than to die trying to save it. This becomes even more true if your boat is identifiable and likely to be returned to you.

Two examples come to mind. First is going down river and getting flipped in some small rapids. Do you chase your boat down stream or swim to the nearby shore with your fishing rods? A second example is lake fishing a point from shore in winter. You have beached your kayak and are fishing the shoreline when the wind picks up and blows your kayak off the shore and out toward open water. Do you swim after it in cold water or let it go? If it is tagged, you are more likely to make a smart decision and let it go.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/11/20 03:12 AM

If the authorities find a kayak with the sticker and they can make contact with the owner, they would not have to send out a search crew.
There are situations where you could get separated from your kayak and it would be unsafe to go after it.
For the owner, if you ever did get separated from your kayak there is a much higher chance you might get it back.
I think the stickers or something with the same information are a great idea.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/14/20 02:47 AM

Wife is going to make some tomorrow she says...RED and YELLOW $2.50 ea. 5" x 6" Will chg up the wording a bit...may put "Address" on it to. Your input will be appreciated. No nonsense posts please. She will make me some examples and will post pics soon.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/14/20 05:46 AM

I do not suggest putting an address line. Someone is unlikely to deliver a lost kayak to your home. If they do, they will call first.

Personally speaking, I would not want a 5x6 sticker on my boat. To me smaller is better... Business card size seems about right to me.

The $2.50 price point is more expensive than the Coast Guard sticker... It only makes sense to pay more if y'alls are made from the right material (i.e.: UV resistant, water proof, heat tolerant adhesive) and if you custom print name and number. Otherwise, the Coast Guard sticker is a safer choice.

Just my two cents.

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/14/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
Wife is going to make some tomorrow she says...RED and YELLOW $2.50 ea. 5" x 6" Will chg up the wording a bit...may put "Address" on it to. Your input will be appreciated. No nonsense posts please. She will make me some examples and will post pics soon.

Name: ________________
Phone: _______________
E-mail: _______________

The address is not necessary. I suggest the e-mail because if they lost their kayak, there is a good chance they lost their cell phone.
The sticker should be between a business card and an index card. 5” x 6” is too big.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/14/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
Originally Posted by V-Bottom

Name: ________________
Phone: _______________
E-mail: _______________

The address is not necessary. I suggest the e-mail because if they lost their kayak, there is a good chance they lost their cell phone.
The sticker should be between a business card and an index card. 5” x 6” is too big.

Maybe 2 lines for phone #s.
One for the owner and one for the owner's spouse or family member.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Coast Guard "If Found" sticker - 03/15/20 08:55 PM

I have one in each of my kayaks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum