Texas Fishing Forum

Lighting & Electronics Install

Posted By: KatFerrari

Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 12:07 AM

If you're looking to step your kayak lighting and electronics game up to the next level, this might be helpful!

Plus, who wouldn't love a new set of lights for Valentine's Day?!? grin

Stay safe out there, guys!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 02:52 AM

Nicely done. Cool video and thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 03:03 AM

What battery are you using? I imagine the spotlights can drain power pretty quickly.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 12:29 PM

Nice work! It's crazy how bait swarms to those green lights at night. If you haven't seen it yet you'll love it. It's pretty cool.

Speaking from experience that USB socket will likely rust if you don't protect it somehow from moisture. Same thing with a 12 volt cigarette style socket. I've used dielectric grease to help protect terminal connections from rusting and it did help but I've never used it on the USB socket. It would be a good idea if you didn't already to go back and put some dielectric grease on all of your terminal connections. I know the PDL has a dry hull but still moisture will get in the hull. I am in the process of switching my USB and 12 volt cigarette style sockets out with a 12 volt SAE socket because most of them have a cap that helps keep water and moisture out. Then I will use this when I need a USB port. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1993MV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 12:59 PM

I'll have to come back and watch the video later, it's too long to sit and watch before my shift starts. I did chuckle that your kayak in in the house. The first guy I followed on youtube, that makes kayak fishing videos, also stored his kayak in the house. I can see where this is the only option if living in an apartment. Honestly, who wouldn't like to work on their stuff in a nice, climate controlled space! grin

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 05:39 PM

Thanks, man!!

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay
What battery are you using? I imagine the spotlights can drain power pretty quickly.

It's a 12v 12ah lead acid - Like I mentioned in the video, the spot lights are LEDs as well, so their drain isn't bad at all! 😁

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
Nice work! It's crazy how bait swarms to those green lights at night. If you haven't seen it yet you'll love it. It's pretty cool.

Speaking from experience that USB socket will likely rust if you don't protect it somehow from moisture. Same thing with a 12 volt cigarette style socket. I've used dielectric grease to help protect terminal connections from rusting and it did help but I've never used it on the USB socket. It would be a good idea if you didn't already to go back and put some dielectric grease on all of your terminal connections. I know the PDL has a dry hull but still moisture will get in the hull. I am in the process of switching my USB and 12 volt cigarette style sockets out with a 12 volt SAE socket because most of them have a cap that helps keep water and moisture out. Then I will use this when I need a USB port. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1993MV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, man!! I've installed switch panels into previous kayaks without an issue - I silicone them down to the hull then silicone around the edges as well. The USB sockets have rubber inserts for them to protect from water, and there isn't a cigarette port on it at all - the panels I use are rated for marine use, so they're pretty great for the application!

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/14/20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by T- Gil
I'll have to come back and watch the video later, it's too long to sit and watch before my shift starts. I did chuckle that your kayak in in the house. The first guy I followed on youtube, that makes kayak fishing videos, also stored his kayak in the house. I can see where this is the only option if living in an apartment. Honestly, who wouldn't like to work on their stuff in a nice, climate controlled space! grin

Haha - I'm all about climate control when I'm working on my yak!! We're on ours most days of the week, so they actually stay locked in our truck bed, outside in the driveway. I couldn't imagine having to wrangle them into an apartment every day - that would be rough!! LOL
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/15/20 02:58 AM

One might do well to explore the legality of installing some of those lights on a kayak.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/15/20 04:50 PM

cheers

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/15/20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford
One might do well to explore the legality of installing some of those lights on a kayak.

Jim I think as long as the spot lights are turned off anytime approaching an oncoming vessel whether it's a boat or kayak they'll be fine. If not it could definitely draw a citation. Also the spot lights when turned on at night would technically interfere with the required 360 light. Though I don't think a GW would issue a ticket for that.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/16/20 06:21 PM

Videos not supported on iPad or iPhone?

I just received $700 worth of LED’s and Wiring from Yak Power for my 2 Bonafides to be installed this coming week.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/16/20 11:54 PM

Jim I think as long as the spot lights are turned off anytime approaching an oncoming vessel whether it's a boat or kayak they'll be fine. If not it could definitely draw a citation. Also the spot lights when turned on at night would technically interfere with the required 360 light. Though I don't think a GW would issue a ticket for that.

Kayaks are allowed to use the same nav light type and placement as sailboats but not required to use that many lights. Also need to beware of red and green lights showing when under way because they can confuse other motorboats. The lighting is usually not an issue when stationary (except for a 360 degree anchor light)

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/17/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bronco71

Kayaks are allowed to use the same nav light type and placement as sailboats but not required to use that many lights.

bronco71 you are correct but kayaks are also required to abide by the same rules that all other vessels do regarding lights at night while on the water and that is the lights shall not impede vision of other vessels on the water at night or shall not impede the vision of any and all required lights being the 360 light. It's just a courtesy to other boaters to always turn off your headlights, spolights,l ight bar, etc. when approaching and passing just like you dim your headlights on your vehicle.

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/18/20 12:58 AM

From the Inland Rules:

PART C—LIGHTS AND SHAPES
RULE 20
Application
(a) Rules in this Part shall be complied with in all weathers.
(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to
sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except
such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or
do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the
keeping of a proper look-out.

(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited
from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other
circumstances when it is deemed necessary.
(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.
(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the
provisions of Annex I of these Rules.

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/18/20 02:36 PM

Yeah this is a hot topic. Here's some additional info on the subject.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2664539&highlight=light+bar+laws
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/19/20 05:36 PM

Great job on the video, which spotlights and LEDs are those, and can you provide a link?

Thanks

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/21/20 01:05 AM

Jerry 713, adding to the info in your provided link; I worked enforcement in a boat for several years. Your link alluded to vessels running at night with docking lamps on. I found that many pontoon boaters did exactly that. Not only does that destroy other boaters’ night vision, as your article stated, and temporarily destroy the operator of the offender’s vessel’s night vision when they are first turned off, as the article also stated. It also limits the effective area the offending operator can see while they are on. I stopped numerous pontooners at night running docking lamps and tried to educate them. I told them that while they could see greater detail at short range with those docking lamps on, they were unable to see anything outside that narrow aura of light. Most were receptive. Some weren’t; they got to explain their superior knowledge to a judge. But I received quite a few followup calls from folks who told me that they tried running without docking lamps at night, and were amazed at how much better they could see without them.
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Lighting & Electronics Install - 02/24/20 12:50 PM

Never have been able to watch the video. Is it in some "new" format?

Scratch that, works on my phone now, just not the work PC.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum