Texas Fishing Forum

Fish finders

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Fish finders - 01/01/20 08:38 PM

What fish finders are y’all running and on what type of kayak? Does anyone have side imaging and is it worth it?

I’m trying to decide which direction I should go for my Topwater 120 PDL.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Fish finders - 01/01/20 08:52 PM

Garmin Striker 4 with Transducer, 3.5" GPS Fishfinder with CHIRP Traditional Transducer
Jackson Mayfly
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Fish finders - 01/01/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Smurfs
Garmin Striker 4 with Transducer, 3.5" GPS Fishfinder with CHIRP Traditional Transducer
Jackson Mayfly

I have the exact same Garmin and like it a lot. It's simple, small and easy on the battery. It gives me depth, temp and GPS... about all one really "needs".

However, I've been eyeing the Lowrance HDS Live 7 with a 3 in 1 transducer. They are pricey, but I keep looking hammer

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/fishfinders-chartplotters/hds-7-live-amer-xd-ai-3-in-1/
Posted By: Bdpeelgren

Re: Fish finders - 01/02/20 05:42 AM

Had a striker 4 on my last kayak. It being only 100 bucks it’s was good for what it was. Really only used it for depth and water temp.
I imagine side imaging would be really nice to have but not sure it’s worth the money to put it on a kayak.

Nowadays I just use the navionics app on my phone.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Fish finders - 01/02/20 10:53 AM

A lot depends on what type of fishing you do and then it’s just a personal opinion as to Side Imaging being worth the $.
I personally will not own a Fish Finder without Side Image and there are some very affordable options today.
I’ve been running Humminbird units with SI for about 10 years and it’s improved my fishing game and enjoyment
a lot. one thing a lot of people don’t consider about FF’s with SI is the enjoyment of looking at and finding Interesting
things in the lake. I personally enjoy that almost as much as fishing.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Fish finders - 01/02/20 02:23 PM

I currently have a Hook2 5 down scan only. When I do upgrade it will be to a side scan unit. Worth the $ IMO.

Re: Fish finders - 01/03/20 04:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Fish finders - 01/04/20 02:22 PM

I'm looking for a new fishfinder as well, will definitely go with side imaging on the next one. Using a Lowrance Elite 4, with downscan, regular sonar and gps now. At the price those have fallen to, its a bargain. If just starting out I would have at least downscan and gps.

My first fishfinder below. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 03:24 AM

[Linked Image]

Lowrance Elite 5, I got my eyes on the Boards waiting for somebody too upgrade to LiveScope and offload a Side Scan Unit.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
I'm looking for a new fishfinder as well, will definitely go with side imaging on the next one. Using a Lowrance Elite 4, with downscan, regular sonar and gps now. At the price those have fallen to, its a bargain. If just starting out I would have at least downscan and gps.

My first fishfinder below. roflmao

[Linked Image]

Y
I had that same setup on my first little boat! But I had the larger head unit versus the one that you could attach to your Rod or wrist.

Used a piece of rope and tied the transducer off the back of the boat.

I've come a long way from floating that little bobber transducer behind an inflatable boat lol
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 07:12 PM

Tru story. I won that smartcast in raffle at Texas kayak fishing tournament in Rockport 15 or 16 years ago. Go back to Florida and I'm pulling the floating transducer behind my kayak all day the first time I use it. Never see anything but 4', 4', 4'. all day. No drops no, real structure, no fish, just 4 ' of water in large lake connected to IntraCoastalWaterway, in Hollywood. Back in the ICW I'm paddling back nearer to ramp and my smartcast beeps, I look at watch and its showing three large fish icons. I back up kayak, pick up rod with DOA shrimp and just as I cast up against sea wall in front of le Tub saloon, a waitress says, "you better not mess with my ...." Before she could say "pets", I hang a monster tarpon that comes out of the water right beside kayak and makes such a splash that everyone jumps up from their waterfront seating and bar to watch. That fish jumped three more times in quick succession, almost landing in my kayak on the second jump and I'm trying to loosen my drag as quickly as possible. It drags me to middle of I C W and settles down to dragging me in circles as it makes its way 2 miles down current, over the next half hour.. Had some folks following along sea wall for a quarter mile before giving up. Fish finally lays over on its side at surface and hook falls out. No picture.

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
Tru story. I won that smartcast in raffle at Texas kayak fishing tournament in Rockport 15 or 16 years ago. Go back to Florida and I'm pulling the floating transducer behind my kayak all day the first time I use it. Never see anything but 4', 4', 4'. all day. No drops no, real structure, no fish, just 4 ' of water in large lake connected to IntraCoastalWaterway, in Hollywood. Back in the ICW I'm paddling back nearer to ramp and my smartcast beeps, I look at watch and its showing three large fish icons. I back up kayak, pick up rod with DOA shrimp and just as I cast up against sea wall in front of le Tub saloon, a waitress says, "you better not mess with my ...." Before she could say "pets", I hang a monster tarpon that comes out of the water right beside kayak and makes such a splash that everyone jumps up from their waterfront seating and bar to watch. That fish jumped three more times in quick succession, almost landing in my kayak on the second jump and I'm trying to loosen my drag as quickly as possible. It drags me to middle of I C W and settles down to dragging me in circles as it makes its way 2 miles down current, over the next half hour.. Had some folks following along sea wall for a quarter mile before giving up. Fish finally lays over on its side at surface and hook falls out. No picture.

Good story. I bet that waitress but peo'd you hooked her pet laugh

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 10:07 PM

I called Old Town today and asked if their universal transducer mount would work with side imaging. They said it would, but I couldn’t mount it flush with the hull. I don’t want to have my transducer below the hull, because I’m the guy who will have it knock into something and break off or crack or something more times than not.

I’m just gonna go with GPS and down imaging. Thanks for the replies!

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 10:30 PM

OP not trying to steer you one way or the other. FYI all SI transducers are below the hull. They have to be in order to send signal to each side of the boat or kayak. The newer Hobie Outbacks and maybe some others have a spring loaded pocket for a SI transducer to go up into in the event you hit something. About the only option you have in terms of mounting it under the hull of your kayak is buying a protective housing for the SI transducer that will help prevent damage to the SI transducer. I think Berley Pro makes one.

https://www.austinkayak.com/BerleyPro-Lowrance-TotalScan-Total-Imaging-Ready-Transducer-Mount/ACK26481P.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&adpos=1o7&scid=scplp26481_18408_1&sc_intid=26481_18408_1&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFh9aBhKULW2nUm8KzebRhm8j_Ho-x16je9Bgy8o9oxYuc43EdZx4BBoCLe4QAvD_BwE

Re: Fish finders - 01/06/20 10:55 PM

Thanks, Jerry!
Posted By: Crig

Re: Fish finders - 02/12/20 09:32 PM

I have a Garmin Striker plus 4 for sale
Posted By: KatFerrari

Re: Fish finders - 02/12/20 11:47 PM

My rig is a 2020 Old Town Predator PDL, and I run a Humminbird Helix 7 with SI

It's 100% worth it!!

I literally JUST released a video about installing all of my electronics, if you'd like to step up your game! grin

Re: Fish finders - 02/23/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by KatFerrari
My rig is a 2020 Old Town Predator PDL, and I run a Humminbird Helix 7 with SI

It's 100% worth it!!

I literally JUST released a video about installing all of my electronics, if you'd like to step up your game! grin

I can’t view it on my iPad.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Fish finders - 02/23/20 03:37 AM

It would be really easy to make a DIY transducer for a kayak using a Ram ball and some PVC fittings. For ideas on how it would work, Google "PoleDucer" . I have a Livescope set up on a poleducer on my bass boat. It could be made much smaller for a kayak and probably only about 2' long and will not need to rotate like Livescope. Would also be able to raise it out of the water to prevent damage in shallow water.

I plan to make one for my kayak using the Helix 7 SI that I took off my bass boat when I upgraded to a Helix 10".

Only concern I have is how much battery power the Helix 7 SI requires.

Wayne
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Fish finders - 02/23/20 10:50 PM

Lowrance Elite 7Ti SI on my Hobie PA12.

On my sons Ocean Kayak Trident 13 I have a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI.
Posted By: Andrew. P

Re: Fish finders - 08/29/20 05:04 PM

Hey,

Kayak fishing is amazing experience.

Using Garmin Striker 4 since 2 years with a external waterproof battery pack. Working well with no problem. It's a great under $100 and fit under my budget. Every penny worth. You must try it out.

Also talking about the Side Imaging it's always better but expensive. will not fit everyone budget.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Fish finders - 08/29/20 05:29 PM

I'm running a Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 with side scan and chirp and absolutely love all functions esp the live mapping. Running that on my Hobie PA14 360.
Incredible for bass fishing and around the jetties at Port A.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Fish finders - 08/29/20 10:32 PM

I’m about to sell a Lowrance Hook2 7 with Navionics chip if you’re interested.
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Fish finders - 08/30/20 01:39 AM

I have a Lowrance Hook2 4X that was a bday present. I have not used it yet but it looks to have everything I would want or need in a GPS fish finder I'll be using a scupper mount for the transducer. The scuppers are aligned within a 3" hollow on each side of my hull so to snag or damage the transducer I'd have to almost be trying to wreck it. Fortunately I am not as adventurous or hard on my equipment as I used to be. So it should be fine. Everyone has likes and desires. In my case..... I don't need all the bells and whistles. Receiving it as a bday present made it the most affordable fish finder I have ever used LOL!!!! Your mileage may vary.

SB

Re: Fish finders - 08/30/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lmgreeri
I'm running a Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 with side scan and chirp and absolutely love all functions esp the live mapping. Running that on my Hobie PA14 360.

What size battery does that unit need to get you through the day?
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Fish finders - 08/31/20 02:40 PM

No doubt, I'd get a Helix 7 Mega DI. SI if you decide to get side imaging.

Re: Fish finders - 09/01/20 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford
I’m about to sell a Lowrance Hook2 7 with Navionics chip if you’re interested.

Mr. Ford, I would be interested, but this thread was made at the beginning of the year and I just received a Navionics chip in the mail today. I ended up going with the Lowrance Hook2 5, and I wish I’d gone with the 7” but I’m sticking with the five for now. And I just ordered the Navionics+ South chip and installed it this evening. I appreciate you offering and good luck with your sale.

Re: Fish finders - 09/02/20 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

I use a Nocqua 10Ah Lithium. I'm at half charge at around 8-9 hours.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Fish finders - 09/02/20 10:19 AM

That is a good idea . I like the 22 oz weight . On Amazon it has a nice little case to make it easier to handle . Thanks .

Re: Fish finders - 09/03/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson

That is a good idea . I like the 22 oz weight . On Amazon it has a nice little case to make it easier to handle . Thanks .

Yeah I run 2 of them. One for sonar/GPS and the other for my LED lights. They are super light weight and charge fast.

Re: Fish finders - 09/03/20 11:09 AM

Here's a budget version lithium battery for many kayak fish finders. I have 2 of the 6 AH batteries and they are solid. https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Phosphate-Lightweight-Replacement-Applications/dp/B07X5G2FFW?th=1
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Fish finders - 09/03/20 06:42 PM

Here's a budget version lithium battery for many kayak fish finders. I have 2 of the 6 AH batteries and they are solid. https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Phosphate-Lightweight-Replacement-Applications/dp/B07X5G2FFW?th=1

That is a pretty good price . Thanks
Posted By: Willow

Re: Fish finders - 12/27/20 06:52 AM

I use Dakota Lithium 20 AH battery, Humminbird Helix 7 DI + SI, Power Pole anchor, navigation lights, anchor light, dual usb ports keeps my phone and spot light charged and small led overhead light for night fishing. Fished for 3 days and 2 nights near Rockport on 1 charge with plenty of battery left.
Oh yeah I forgot the Hobie livewell that has it's own battery but it ran down and I had to charge it off the Dakota once. I now use a live bait bucket that I set between my legs when peddling Hobie PA 14 and then set the bucket in the water when relocated, it works better, leaves room for a nice size cooler and I can get my bait easier. Keeps shrimp alive all day no worries.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum