Texas Fishing Forum

Bonified SS127

Posted By: ron-ron

Bonified SS127 - 12/15/19 12:01 AM

I'm looking into getting my first kayak and I'm considering the Bonified SS127. I like the high seat, storage and the rear access panel to make it easier for installing lights and such. I want to be able to stand and fish at times and it seems to be about as stable as they come. Any Bonified owners out there? Pro and cons? I know they are not the fastest or the easiest to paddle but I'm wanting to possibly add motor later. I think I've watched every YouTube on them but would like some real life input. Thanks
Posted By: Blayne Wallace

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/15/19 01:19 AM

I’m 5’10 and 250lbs...super stable and you can literally spin 360 in the kayak. Great platform and lots of room for your gear. The high seat is amazing. Only bad thing is it doesn’t track the straightest and it is a little tough to load by yourself but it is doable. I wish I would have gotten a bonafide for my first kayak because I wouldn’t have gotten anything else. Do it, you won’t regret it

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/15/19 09:28 AM

Thanks Blayne, I have a small utility trailer that I plan on converting to haul it so I'm too concerned about the weight.
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/15/19 02:43 PM

i own the ss107. it still weighs about 80lbs but i can load it in the back of my truck by myself. the best thing about the Bonafide is the comfort. the high seat allows me to fish all day without any back pain. the worse thing about the ss107 is the tracking and the speed. you definitely give up speed for comfort. i love mine but i fish creeks, rivers and small lakes where i don't paddle more than a few miles on a trip. on the rare occasion I travel down to the coast i'll bring my old WS Tarpon that paddles better and is lighter.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/16/19 06:31 PM

I have the ss107. I fish large and small lakes, creeks and everything else in between. I paddle slow and fish hard. Love the kayak and the brand. Built in the USA!
Posted By: craigfish

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/18/19 12:37 AM

Any maneuverability challenges ever put out there about the bonafides are quickly forgotten by anyone who spends a day fishing out of one. The height and comfort of that seat paired with the stability make this thing a dream to fish out of. Its worth it man.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/18/19 05:38 PM

Most important thing about the Bonafide is to be sure you get the right length paddle. That made a HUGE difference for me. Mariner Sails paired me with a paddle for my height, paddling style and kayak. Amazing how much a few centimeters can make a difference when you paddle.

Re: Bonified SS127 - 12/19/19 12:01 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I have an appointment Friday to demo the SS 127. I was thinking of trying the LURE 11.5 as well but I think I'm sold on the Bonafied. I may be a yakker this time next week. Can't wait to start rigging and fishing.
Posted By: Bdpeelgren

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/02/20 03:58 AM

OP, what did you end up going with?

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/11/20 10:51 AM

I went with the Bonafied. Moutain Sports had a great deal clearing out the 2019 models. I got my tackle crate built, installed a Garmin 93 SV that was taken off of my bass boat. Made a dolly for it. Working on lights now. I'm trying to remember how to post pics.

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/11/20 10:54 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/11/20 10:56 AM

[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
I forgot the dolly.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/11/20 02:39 PM

You have a microwave oven and toaster oven in your garage for quick snacks?
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/13/20 04:58 AM

I have a couple of the little brothers. SS107’s. Great Yak stabile and functional

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/14/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
You have a microwave oven and toaster oven in your garage for quick snacks?

Tallgrass05, why you lookin' around my garage? eeks LOL I build rods and make a few baits...snacks for fish! I started working on a trolling motor last night...(waiting for the boo's to die down) but this make take some time to get it installed. We'll see how it goes.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/15/20 06:28 AM

Nice kayak
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/15/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ron-ron
[/quote]
I started working on a trolling motor last night.

OP I cringed when I heard that. You have a nice kayak. I love the layout but yeah you're gonna need a trolling motor at times. Sitting up that high trying to paddle in any wind is going to be tough to go very far. I've been down the trolling motor road. I personally would never do it again, at least not with a transom mount trolling motor and a heavy battery. A small amount of weight in a kayak makes a huge difference. Toss in 60 lbs of TM & battery and you're gonna notice a difference. Not to mention having to lug around a heavy battery. For me that got really old really fast. The only way I would go TM again is to go with a Bixpy or a used Torqueedo. You can go with a $700 lithium battery and a cheap TM but by the time you get it all rigged up you've spent the same as what a Bixpy costs with the same performance.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/15/20 05:04 PM

Skip the trolling motor and get a Bixpy Swim Jet.

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/17/20 03:32 AM

Thanks Duck Hunter. Jerry,Tallgrass, I'm not crazy about toting a heavy battery either and can't afford the Bixpy or a lithium battery right now. I have a couple of trolling motors that have been taken off of previous bass boats and batteries so it's the least expensive option right now. I have a bad shoulder and although it doesn't bother me so much when I'm paddling and fishing, come bedtime I can barely move it. It will really depend on where im fishing that will determine if I'll use the trolling motor. I mainly want to crappie fish out of the kayak. I still have a bass boat so chasing bass will probably be in it. Although there are a few smaller lakes that i cant wait to get on and bass fish. I just got my LED buld in for my light pole so it's next on the list. It'll be a couple of weeks before the trolling motor will be on.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Bonified SS127 - 01/28/20 09:13 PM

Bought my SS127 a year ago and absolutely love it. I can't imagine how hard it must be to tip the thing over as its very stable. And, If the wind gets up just drop the chair to the lowest position and you're off.

Like your cart?...been wanting to make one as spending $200 on a cart doesn't make sense to me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum