Texas Fishing Forum

Got my first kayak

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 03:56 AM

Ive been wanting a kayak for a while. Really enjoyed kayaking the lower mountain fork in OK last summer. Ive been looking at a lot of them and weight has been my biggest issue. Ive had a couple of back surgeries so cant do heavy weights so needed to stick to something under 60 lbs. I wont be lifting the whole thing at any one time, and plan to use a trolley or lift whenever I can. I also wanted a shorter kayak because id like to try going into some creeks and such. I had narrowed it down to the Perception Tribe 9.5 and the Vibe Yellowfin 100. One of them popped up for sell on a facebook group for a very good price so that made the decision for me.

I picked up this Vibe Yellowfin 100 with vibe paddle for $350. Looks like it may have been used once. Basically new. The chair on it feel pretty comfortable. I don't want to add a ton of stuff to it making it heavy. I am shopping for a pfd right now. Want something small, breathable for the hot weather that wont interfere with paddling. Not sure what else I really need. It came with scupper plugs and the bags for the stowage compartments. Going to try and get on the water for the first time maybe Monday before the temp drops again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 04:16 AM

Looks like fun. Get a comfortable PFD and a good paddle.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 05:03 AM

Enjoy!

Welcome to the addiction cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 06:20 AM

Very nice. thumb
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 02:25 PM

Welcome, You are going to have a blast.
For a pfd, look at the NSR chinook. Does not limit movement and does not get hot in the summer.
You might look at a flag so others can see you.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/08/19 04:41 PM

Agree on the NRS Chinook for a pfd. There are smaller (thinner ones) but they wear out fast and do not provide much flotation. At least if your a bigger guy. Spend the extra and get a good one like the NRS. This is one place you should not skimp on price. Just too critical that you have a very good life vest... its a LIFE vest. Critical for sure.

Also would suggest going very light the first few trips tell you start to get a feel for it. Sounds like you dont have much time in a yak and getting experience without having excessive gear or weight is a good idea.

Its fun as hell. Welcome to the club! Looks like you got a nice yak to start out! I have friends with boats and fishing out of those is nice. But given the chance in most cases I prefer the yak. Just something special about it.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/09/19 08:42 PM

Welcome to the yak Family!! My favorite quote "I don't want to add a ton of stuff to it". We have all heard this before, LOL. Best of luck, be safe and have fun!!
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/11/19 01:28 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/11/19 02:15 PM

Congrats on the new kayak. If i could give any words of advise other than the obvious...pfd...watch yotube and find some good paddling instruction videos. Most people skimp on paddle tecnique. Its the diference between going 1 mile and seeing the same as everyone else or having the ability to really get out and see the things you want to see. Great luck and enjoy.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/19/19 05:11 PM

Welcome !

You might consider an inflatable PFD if comfort and cool are a priority. There are several on sale right now in the $69 range and they all will do what is needed if that occasion arises.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/19/19 10:40 PM

If thinking about an inflatable pfd, please search the site and read what is said about them.

Several folks have reported that they found their inflatable pfd and it had inflated since last time they used it.
If you are on that prize kayak trip will you really pass up the opportunity, wear the inflated pfd or go without the pfd?

They do require maintenance and manufacturers do have recalls.
Do you really want to trust your life to this?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/20/19 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
If thinking about an inflatable pfd, please search the site and read what is said about them.

Several folks have reported that they found their inflatable pfd and it had inflated since last time they used it.
If you are on that prize kayak trip will you really pass up the opportunity, wear the inflated pfd or go without the pfd?

Carrying a traditional PFD as a backup should be just common sense, and they don't take up that much room in a kayak if carried below deck or even topside.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/20/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot

Agree. Guys I'm sure we've all seen the cheapo orange pfd that go around your neck at Walmart for 6 bucks. They're cheap because they are the bear minimum. Sure they can keep you from drowning but it's hard to swim and would be really hard to climb back into a kayak with one on. Basically all you can do is float on your back with one of these on. Inflatable pfd's are basically the exact same thing after they are inflated. Before you get an inflatable weigh safety vs. comfort.
Posted By: janie

Re: Got my first kayak - 12/20/19 02:33 PM

Yay Nathan! Your gonna love it. Got my 1st one this year as well. It's an absolute blast. Welcome to the addiction.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Got my first kayak - 01/02/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by janie
Yay Nathan! Your gonna love it. Got my 1st one this year as well. It's an absolute blast. Welcome to the addiction.

This. Got mine last year and fell in love i with fishing from a yak
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum