Texas Fishing Forum

New Kayak access to the Trinity!

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/28/19 02:34 AM

Construction on a kayak/canoe launch onto the Elm Fork at 121 and The Trinity just south of Lewisville dam is coming along nicely! Its on the south side of 121 accessible as you're heading eastbound.

I have seen in the last few years it being discussed in the Lewisville Town Hall meetings. Read about the funding and the bids, selection process for the contractor and all that. And now it's almost done!

Hows the fishing around there? I only live a few miles away but have not fished the river. I'm excited to actually get in on some local River fishing with a nice launch ramp designed especially for kayaks.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/28/19 03:31 AM

I’ve never fished the trinity over there, but I’ve fished it in FW and I like it a lot.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/28/19 02:42 PM

Great info. I'll have to check that out. Thanks Dan!

To answer your question... I have fished the Elm Fork around Sandy Lake Rd several times. The river is dammed at Sandy Lake so the channel is deep in that area (20' at normal flow). I have done "decent" to "skunked" in the river. However, even if the river skunks me, I always seem to pull a few out of the flood control ponds to the north.

My son used to bank fish LLELA. He seemed to do better up there than I did at Sandy Lake. Because of this, I am excited about the 121 access... its a short paddle/pedal to LLELA from 121 (about 2 miles).
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/28/19 09:46 PM

Paddling upriver towards LLELA will be some good fishing!!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/28/19 10:12 PM

Isnt that where all the dumps are?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
Isnt that where all the dumps are?

Lol. Your right! The Lewisville Landfill and sewage treatment plant are both very close.

I'll still fish it though. roflmao

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 01:33 PM

The dump is south by SE from the ramp they are making but yes its in the area.

Contamination in this area would require the pollutants to go upstream. However even areas down stream of the dump have safe clean water. The Elm Fork is good to go if you are into eating fish there are no bans or limitations like there are on the Trinity in Ft. Worth.

For those who have not been this part of the Trinity is VERY different than the Trinity as it flows through Cow town. In Ft. Worth the water moves slowly through nice big canals with grass lined gently sloped banks and little derbies in the water.

This area is very wild. Steep banks, almost vertical in most places, tons and tons of random derbies in the water, its not wider than a medium distance cast that I have seen. And the water is usually moving pretty good. Sometimes it is low and slow but usually you can see the water moving, its got current.

Now, all this is based on my two times hiking down to it and what I can see when I drive over it on 121. Which I do quite a lot. If I am incorrect someone let me know!

I assume their are lmb, spots, sandies, all kinds of catfish (looks like a flathead heaven), carp, gar, crappie, bluegill, in there? Maybe hybrids? Sound right to yall?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 02:29 PM

That about right Dan. The current can slow to a crawl during the hot summer months, but it's still there.

I think it's safe to assume anything that is in Lewisville is also in the Elm below the dam. Personally, I have caught Spots, Crappie, Channel Cat and Sandies on the river (and a few small LMB out of the ponds). The Sandies act differently in this part of the river because they are "resident" in between the dams. I don't catfish... I caught the channels while crappie fishing with a jig. However, I see a lot of bankers catfishing and so I assume there is a good cat population?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 03:45 PM

Never caught a flathead out of here, but I have caught blues and channels. Caught some big carp, buffs and medium (3ft) gar. White bass randomly and a few large hybrids in deeper pools when you can find them. LOTS of small LMB in there too that are fun to catch along with the aggressive spots. My best bait believe it or not has been a small white grub or a small spinner. Corn for the carp, buffs and cats.

I will definitely fish this area as my favorite waters on the Elm Fork by 380 is really no longer navigable.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 05:39 PM

I plan to make this part of my standard rotation too. If I see y'all, I always have a couple extra in the cooler cheers
Posted By: JCG57

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/29/19 10:12 PM

TPWD usually stocks trout in the river twice a year and sometimes the city of Lewisville will augment the tiny Texas trout with some hefty specimens from Missouri or Arkansas.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/30/19 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
I plan to make this part of my standard rotation too. If I see y'all, I always have a couple extra in the cooler cheers

Did we just become friends?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 10/30/19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Did we just become friends?

LOL
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 11/01/19 09:46 PM

When is it supposed to open?
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 11/01/19 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay

It, like many projects got hung up and are behind schedule. Was supposed to open in September if i am not mistaken. Hopefully by next spring?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 11/06/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jippedgenes
Originally Posted by Lee Finlay

It, like many projects got hung up and are behind schedule. Was supposed to open in September if i am not mistaken. Hopefully by next spring?

Next spring sounds right to me. At this point they have the area for the ramp/road cleared and leveled. They will need to pour concrete still so depending on how fast they work it could be sooner than Spring but I think thats a fair guess.
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/28/20 07:13 PM

Anybody have any construction updates/pictures/etc... of the progress over there?

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/29/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by YakfishinTx81
Anybody have any construction updates/pictures/etc... of the progress over there?

I drive by it pretty regularly... they have not done anything in the last few months. Its ground to a halt. Not even seen anyone there, all the equipment is gone. Now, could be they are working and I just am not seeing them but I dont see any progress. They have the area for a paved approach nice and leveled out, several huge drainage pipes have been installed, lots of rip rapp has been added. But its still all dirt, no pavement or anything that resembles a ramp or launch really.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/29/20 02:17 PM

Thanks Dan
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/29/20 02:23 PM

I drove by it two weeks ago. Looks the same as it did in November.
My guess is they moved out all the equipment as a precaution--they would have had a tough time getting that equipment out if there was rapidly rising water, especially if there was any freezing precipitation.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/29/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I drove by it two weeks ago. Looks the same as it did in November.
My guess is they moved out all the equipment as a precaution--they would have had a tough time getting that equipment out if there was rapidly rising water, especially if there was any freezing precipitation.

That is understandable, thanks. The wait continues.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 01/29/20 05:37 PM

Hopeful any Spring flooding wont wipe it out. bolt

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/20/20 06:21 PM

Just an observation. I drove down to this launch on Sunday. It is PERFECT. Easy launch and plenty of parking. Unfortunately someone has already chosen to dump trash out here in the parking area.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Just an observation. I drove down to this launch on Sunday. It is PERFECT. Easy launch and plenty of parking. Unfortunately someone has already chosen to dump trash out here in the parking area.

Is it done? I drove by a few weeks ago and it was still dirt and riprap.

It was pretty muddy when I was there... So I just looked from the shoulder of 121.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 01:24 PM

Is it done? I drove by a few weeks ago and it was still dirt and riprap.

It was pretty muddy when I was there... So I just looked from the shoulder of 121.

I am referring to the launch off Hebron Pkwy. Not sure it is visible from 121, but yes it is completed.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 02:15 PM

I was unaware they were building one at Hebron.
Sounds like it's complete. I drove past the one at SH121 yesterday. It looks like construction has stopped.

The water was crazy stupid high though. They are definitely draining Lewisville as fast as they can.

Not sure I would put a kayak in there at this time lol.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I was unaware they were building one at Hebron.
Sounds like it's complete. I drove past the one at SH121 yesterday. It looks like construction has stopped.

The water was crazy stupid high though. They are definitely draining Lewisville as fast as they can.

Not sure I would put a kayak in there at this time lol.

You can put in at Hebron and avoid the river and just paddle the backwaters. Saw some yakkers out there Sunday.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 04:23 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/21/20 06:18 PM

Nice, guess it is time to go check it out soon, thanks for the update.

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/22/20 02:08 AM

Thanks JJ, this is very helpful info!

Re: New Kayak access to the Trinity! - 04/22/20 03:45 PM

Took the kids out there yesterday for some bank fishing. Saw a guy fishing along the current in a small Pelican SINK with a little kid. NO PFD!! I tried to speak to him about the dangers of this, unfortunately he did not understand English. He must have understood a little because he dropped the kid off and took off on his own. One flip of that yak he would have been in swift water with a lot of debris.

No fish caught, but it was a nice day to be out with the kids. Lots to explore with the water so high in a kayak. All the backwoods area is flooded.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum