Texas Fishing Forum

Depth Finder Suggestions

Posted By: Mooreg9

Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/25/19 01:32 PM

I need some help picking a Fish Finder unit for my kayak. I am looking for something that has maps, as well as down imaging and or side imaging. Dont want to break the bank but willing to buy a quality unit. What do yall suggest?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/25/19 02:38 PM

The Helix 7 Side Image is a great starter FF with everything you mentioned.
They also have the 8, 9, 10 & 12” models if your budget and space will allow.
I would not go smaller than the 7”, IMO.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/25/19 04:06 PM

Keep in mind that SI and DI require constant movement to create an image.

All of the major brands produce SI and DI.

- I'm a fan of Garmin because the head units and transducers are smaller (This was the case when I bought mine.. this may have changed over the years?).
- Lowrance is a really good brand and seems to be the most popular.
- Humminbird has been around forever and seems to be the most innovative.
- I don't know much about Raymarine. However, I will say that the folks who use them swear by them.

All can come with preloaded maps.

I've been looking hard at the Humminbird 360 because it looks forward and does not require movement to pull an image. However, the size of the transducer is making me pause and think about it. Also, I think the GPS requires an external receiver???

If SI or DI is what you want, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. To me it all comes down to price and head unit size/features.

Posted By: Gamblingman

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/25/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972

- I'm a fan of Garmin because the head units and transducers are smaller (This was the case when I bought mine.. this may have changed over the years?).
- I don't know much about Raymarine. However, I will say that the folks who use them swear by them.

I've been looking hard at the Humminbird 360 because it looks forward and does not require movement to pull an image. However, the size of the transducer is making me pause and think about it. Also, I think the GPS requires an external receiver???

If SI or DI is what you want, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. To me it all comes down to price and head unit size/features.

That new HB Mega 360 would be fantastic but the cost involved is not for me.

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/25/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gamblingman

With the Mega unit coming out this fall... I bet we can pick up a used non-Mega unit pretty cheap this winter/early spring.

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/26/19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gamblingman

a) GPS on the Humminbird units have internal antenna but you can use a external antenna for enhanced features.
b) I’m running 360 and love it and will be upgrading to the new Mega when it’s available.
c) The new Mega 360 will require the current G3 model DI or SI unit and there’s a question if you can use you Side Image transducer
and 360 on the same unit.
d) it’s already being reported the current 360 is being discounted by HB and there should be plenty of used units hitting the market.

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/27/19 02:45 AM

Thanks for the info Pelican, this is helpful info.

Does the size of the transducer effect your tracking?
Does the 360 pull a lot of power? I have a 9ah battery now... Wondering if it will be enough to get through the day.

Thanks again.

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/27/19 11:51 AM

Does the 360 pull a lot of power? I have a 9ah battery now... Wondering if it will be enough to get through the day.

Thanks again.

I mounted my 360 Tducer on the bow, slightly off center and I don’t notice any tracking issues.
With that said I also have a MotorGuide Trolling motor mounted on the bow.
The power consumption is advertised at .5 amps and I believe actual is even less so a good 9ah batt should be good.
I run mine on a separate battery. You’ll also need to have a off/on switch or the Tducer will run continuously.

Re: Depth Finder Suggestions - 10/27/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by pelican

Thanks again.

I mounted my 360 Tducer on the bow, slightly off center and I don’t notice any tracking issues.
With that said I also have a MotorGuide Trolling motor mounted on the bow.
The power consumption is advertised at .5 amps and I believe actual is even less so a good 9ah batt should be good.
I run mine on a separate battery. You’ll also need to have a off/on switch or the Tducer will run continuously.

Again, great info. Thank you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum