Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak for Wife

Posted By: butch sanders

Kayak for Wife - 10/08/19 08:32 PM

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=5098521

My wife picked this out Saturday. Got her a nice paddle & a life vest.
We went out yesterday, at Lake A. It was really windy, it was difficult. We made a short journey though.

Should a beginner have a hard time paddling?
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/08/19 09:00 PM

Butch I am on my second pelican and I have been very happy with them-
I know some don’t think much of them but if it gets her in the water I call that a success-
I don’t know how to answer the question though, can you be more specific on what trouble she may have had, I know there some guys on here that have some good knowledge and I hope you can get a helpful answer-
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/08/19 09:17 PM

Need more info. How was her posture and paddling technique? If she paddled with just her arms she'd get tired, you really use your core when paddling efficiently. There are plenty of good paddle technique videos available. Short kayaks like that don't track well, and the wind could have been pushing her around. Try it again on a calm day on some calm water. Paddle length is another consideration, if it's too long or too short that will affect things. I will recommend a set of YakGrips for the paddle, they really cushion well.

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 12:51 PM

thanks
i need to get her out there, when there are no whitecaps
posture was horrible
technique was awful

she works out at Camp Gladiator 4 to 5 times a week
so she has potential

yes the Pelican needs a few modifications
i am installing foot pegs & a couple of hooks

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 12:53 PM

tracking was awful

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 12:54 PM

may need to gauge the interest
& upgrade her
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 01:10 PM

Your post title made me think what W.C. Fields replied when a man told him he got a dog for his wife: "Good trade!" IslandJim

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 01:38 PM

LOL ^
now thats funny

i'll make sure she doesn't see any of this
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 03:28 PM

A great little yak thats cheep is the ocean kayak speck or scrambler. Light cheep fairley quick. Paddle tecnique is important...prob first thing that should be learned. Mabey you both could takr a class or two. We could all benifit from a lesson or two
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/09/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
A great little yak thats cheep is the ocean kayak speck or scrambler. Light cheep fairley quick. Paddle tecnique is important...prob first thing that should be learned. Mabey you both could takr a class or two. We could all benifit from a lesson or two

^^YES^^

Re: Kayak for Wife - 10/10/19 12:47 AM

thanks Men
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum