Texas Fishing Forum

Tips on tying kayak to vehicle

Posted By: Ocelot

Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/24/19 05:01 AM

Thurssday night loaded up the suburban to go do some kayak fishing in Hot Springs Village.
About 35 minutes out heard a thumping on the roof as crossing over Lake Ray Hubbard.
When got to other side, pulled off the road and checked the straps holding down kayak to roof rack.
Front strap going across kayak had pulled apart. No fraying or damage in the area, looked like someone took a very sharp knife to it.
Tied strap together and put back on.
About 30 minutes later same thing happened again. This break was over a different part of the kayak/roof rack.
Fixed strap and moved it back some and rest of trip there and back no issues.

Fortunately in addition to one strap across the front of kayak and one across the rear holding the kayak to the roof rack I also had a tie down to front and rear of the vehicle.
In this case, the straps to front of the vehicle prevented the kayak from potentially being damaged or coming off the vehicle.
Having straps to front and rear of vehicle in addition to straps across the kayak also helps prevent your roof rack from being pulled off the top of your vehicle with the kayak attached.

Only takes a minute or two to add the strap to the front/rear of the vehicle but can save damage to your kayak, vehicle or an accident.

Additionally, my straps for tying going across the kayak are long so I tie the ends down after looping around some part of the roof rack.
Having the free end of the strap outside the buckle tied off so that it looped around the roof rack kept the broken strap attached to the vehicle and allowed me to here it flapping against the vehicle.
Without the loop, strap would have come completely loose and something much worse would have been the first sign something was wrong.

Hopefully these pointers can keep others from having an accident or damaging kayak/vehicle.

Time for me to get some new straps and have a spare in the vehicle.

I have made 100+ trips to the lake with my kayak in the last year without any problems. About a dozen to Oklahoma, Arkansas, College Station. All without incident. So this is not the case of not knowing how to tie a kayak down.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/26/19 10:54 AM

Glad you had it tied down well and didn't lose your yak. I always use 2 straps (one in the middle and one at the rear) and use a 1/2" cotton rope to tie the front off. Most of the time I do use a trailer so I'm constantly checking for broken straps flopping around.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/26/19 01:34 PM

I always use 2 straps as well. One about front of roof rack and one at back of roof rack.
I will also be replacing my straps more often.
Safe travels
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/27/19 02:10 AM

I use two straps over the front and one over the back. Have had straps break two different times and when one goes the other one has gone soon after. Same thing with grab handles, have replaced them 3 times on my original kayak. They can only take so much sun and then the least little tear and its over. The idea of ever losing a kayak and the danger it poses to anyone behind me is too great not to take extra precautions.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/27/19 04:19 PM

My buddy had his come off its trailer once. It had a bungee on it and he noticed it only when he made a wide turn and saw the kayak door to door with him going through the turn lol roflmao

The not funny part, I was following behind him and stopped him about a mile before bcs it looked like the straps were lose and he pulled over to correct it. He was in a BIG hurry to get home (we fished MUCH later than he had permission too lol) so I guess even when he pulled over he did not get it down tight.

Lucky no accident and no one was hurt. The yak was fine too. Must have not been drug for long. Funny thing was the only thing that kept it being pulled behind the trailer was one bungee cord that had hooked the front handle on the yak somehow...by luck. Thats what it was pulled by.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Tips on tying kayak to vehicle - 08/27/19 05:54 PM

Never trust a bungee. Three cam buckle straps to attach the kayak to my trailer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum