Texas Fishing Forum

A month

Posted By: JustWingem

A month - 07/24/19 02:28 PM

Have had the Yak a month now with zero mods added. Just trying to get a feel for what is needed and proper mounting locations for each.

My immediate list so far.
(Just ordered)

Hand paddle for boat positioning.
Anchor trolly system more than likely one for each side.
More track system within easy reach for deck cleats, cup holder and misc.
Yak Power kit (8 function with Bluetooth remote capability)
Navigation lighting
Fish finder & Gps

Further options down the road.

Interior lighting
Anchor wizard
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: A month - 07/24/19 02:58 PM

Hand Paddle - Get the Backwaters Assault Hand Paddle for $30. It can't be beat. I tried waterproofing a stripped down ping pong paddle but it didn't move enough water to really quickly adjust the kayak drift.

Lighting - Visipole for $75. I have had one for years and just move it from one kayak to the next. Great for evening trips. If the fishing are biting, I just turn the light on and continue fishing into the night.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: A month - 07/24/19 03:19 PM

Rigging a kayak is fun BUT be careful on how many holes you drill. Use a quality silicone on everything. I use Goop Marine because it sticks better than regular silicone.

-I think the hand paddle is a necessity.
-I've anchor and drift fished a lot and never had a use for 2 anchor trolleys. I will say having an anchor trolley on the same side as where you keep your paddle doesn't work that well.
-I've installed lots of lights on my kayak including LED strip lights. If I ever do it again I won't drill into the kayak and permantly install strip lights. I'll install the lights on an aluminum strip of metal that I can mount to a utility track is some way and hang over the side. I don't use them much and they don't stick well at all to kayaks. I am constantly having to go back and re-glue them with Gorilla glue.
-For a nav light to me the ones you buy just aren't that bright. You can build one for at least half the price and it will be 10 times brighter. Here's one example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60CO4z7E-9A&list=PLgBJYIEYxKQa_vxMmBNgM1_hIB4XyHA89&index=6
-fish finder w/GPS is a must IMO. The Navionics card also helps as well as having the Navionics app on your phone.

The one thing I have installed that comes in handy is a USB charging port. When I use apps on my phone I can go through some battery. This comes in handy in keeping my phone charged. Also if you use an action camera you can charge it too. Keep this in mind when you select the size of battery for your fish finder. I have a 17 AH battery but I have a lot of lights and a FF. A 12 AH will give you plenty of juice to run most FF's and a charging port. https://www.amazon.com/LiDiVi-Water...;qid=1563981472&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: A month - 07/24/19 04:37 PM

A flag/Light which stands above your head so you are visible to others.
Attach it to track or lash to your seat.
I have the YakAttack visicarbon pro and added a second flag to mast for extra visibility.
Between finder and light on visicarbon pro do not need additional lights in kayak beyond my headlamp.

Might consider adding some highly reflective tape on the sides and bottom of kayak for extra visibility at night.
On the bottom in case you fall out and kayak turns over. Would help you or searchers locate the kayak especially in the dark.
Also only thing boats would be able to see at night on a turtled kayak.

I second using track as much as possible.
Only holes I have drilled in my yak are for the anchor trolley.
I have an arm that attaches to my track to hold the transducer. I suggest mounting the trolley on opposite side of transducer if using this setup.

Track mounted adjustable rod holders.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: A month - 07/24/19 06:36 PM

If you prefer to go with basic electronics, it's hard to beat the Garmin Striker 4.

You can pick one up for under $100... I feel it's the best bang for the buck.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: A month - 07/25/19 07:47 PM

I found a deal on a Garmin Echomaps 4CV with US Lakes maps installed. It will be my first Garmin sonar/GPS . I have always run Lowrance on my boats since the late 80’s but kept reading good things.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum