Texas Fishing Forum

Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers

Posted By: PurpleFrogger

Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/12/19 10:11 PM

Hello.

I am new to the concept of kayak fishing as i have been a boat guy all my life, BUT I am interested in fishing rivers and standing more than sitting. What kayak would you all think best for that?

Thanks.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/12/19 10:52 PM

Jackson has a wide line of stable fishing kayaks. I'm not familiar with the Jackson names and specs like others that will likely chime in, but they have several stable platforms and are known for their quality.

My personal experience is with the Hobie PA and Outback.

The Hobie PA is very stable... I stand in mine all the time. Wind and slight current are no problem. However, I keep my butt planted if it's choppy.

The Hobie Outback is also stable. My son stands in his a lot. However, I personally don't like standing in it unless its near dead calm. This is partly because the center platform is relatively small. I may feel differently about the 2019 Outback models because they have a wider/flatter standing area.

Keep in mind that the most stable kayaks typically don't paddle very well and that the faster yaks are not typically "standing stable". In the kayak world, you typically get one or the other... standing type stability or speed/versatility

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/12/19 11:29 PM

Interesting, thanks. Life is full of trade offs isn't i?.
i think i will lean towards stability as I am really more concerned with river access my boat cannot obtain. i appreciate your response!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/12/19 11:54 PM

If weight isnt much concern then its tough to beat nucanoe frontier.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/13/19 12:03 AM

The new Old Town Topwater series should be stable. The old standby Wilderness Systems Ride 115 is a solid yak. Jackson makes a few good river yaks, Cuda, Cuda HD, Liska, and a couple others.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/13/19 01:42 AM

The Diablo kayaks excel at floating down a river. Standing or sitting. They are wide and flat.
Posted By: Matty

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/13/19 01:54 AM

I had a Coosa HD that I used on many river trips in Arkansas and the Devils. I could stand on it even through light rapids without any issues. It was perfect. I recently went to the pedal drive Coosa FD but I think I’m gonna get another HD soon specifically for river usage.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/14/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matty
I had a Coosa HD that I used on many river trips in Arkansas and the Devils. I could stand on it even through light rapids without any issues. It was perfect. I recently went to the pedal drive Coosa FD but I think I’m gonna get another HD soon specifically for river usage.

When Jackson kayaks first came out with the Coosa, they claimed that it was specifically designed for fishing rivers and standing.
Can't go wrong there!
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/14/19 03:21 PM

Also check out some paddle boards.
Posted By: ebl

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/14/19 04:41 PM

Have 10 foot new canoe and like it for both rivers and have modified it with a 9 inch raised seat for more comfort than standing.anyone interested it is your for 40.00. works real well until you get to 90 years.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/14/19 06:02 PM

I don't own one but a Native Slayer 12 XC would factor in to my thinking if I were fishing rivers and standing.

First, it has that sort of width to stand in easily.

And, adding to that, it has an adjustable seat height positioning, a retractable skeg, a built in chain anchor drop, just tons of stuff including horizontal rod storage.

It almost sounds like it is made for your circumstances.

Downside? It is fairly heavy.

Brad

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/14/19 08:24 PM

OP you'll be wondering what took you so long to get into the sport. You'll love it.

Lots of really good options mentioned. Typically for a river kayak you want something that's light and easy to get from your vehicle to the river. One of the big benefits to having a kayak is accessibility to those hard to get to spots. I can completely understand wanting to lean towards stability for fear if flipping over in the river. Getting used to your kayak is part of the learning curve. Not sure what size you are but don't overlook the Wilderness Ride 115 as mentioned or even the Wilderness Tarpon 120. If you're wanting to stay below a grand a Perception Pescador is not a bad choice. These kayaks paddle well which means less time paddling and more time fishing. If you want peddles I agree the Native Slayer is a good choice but as mentioned it is heavy. I've heard from a number of people the Jackson Coosa is a great river kayak.

I recommend getting a cart of some type (not a scupper cart). It'll make life much easier.
Posted By: janie

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
If weight isnt much concern then its tough to beat nucanoe frontier.

I'll 2nd that.
smile

Love mine. I've tried repeatedly to flip it and cannot.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 03:26 PM

The same kayaks I use for lakes, ponds, and the coast. The only thing I would focus on for fishing rivers is stay around the 12 foot range and no pedals. Lighter is better because rivers can get shallow and you have to portage at times.

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 08:18 PM

I really appreciate all the input from everybody. This all has me pretty excited. If i get a kayak, then i guess i have to figure out how to rig it for fishing with issues like rods, tackle, cooler. Is a depth finder out of the question on a river or do you just measure depth with a pole the old fashioned way? It would definietly be cheaper with a pole.

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 08:44 PM

Tell me if this sounds crazy:

If i am fishing a river i would want to paddle, BUT could i attach a trolling motor to it for lake fishing. I have a back up trolling motor i was wanting to get some use out of...
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 08:59 PM

Yes, but attaching a motor means you'll have to get the boat registered.
Posted By: Savage243

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/15/19 09:58 PM

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better standing river kayak than the ATAK 120. I use mine to paddle the South and Main Llano and every time I go out I love it more and more. Surprisingly I was able to float shallower water than my wife in her Tarpon 120. Check them out, not too heavy and awesome stability.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleFrogger
I really appreciate all the input from everybody. This all has me pretty excited. If i get a kayak, then i guess i have to figure out how to rig it for fishing with issues like rods, tackle, cooler. Is a depth finder out of the question on a river or do you just measure depth with a pole the old fashioned way? It would definietly be cheaper with a pole.

If I'm fishing a river that has holes and then shallow riffles and with a current I normally will go with minimal gear, just for the fact that more weight just slows you down going into a current, and then through shallow water you don't want to drag.
There is always a chance you may turtle, so the less things to lose the better.
If you have a depth finder with the transducer mounted in a scupper hole or port then you are good to go, if you want to use a depth finder it's your choice really, and useful.
Keeping rods stored lengthwise inside the kayak while moving is best so as not to catch your rods on low hanging limbs, so again minimal rods and reels is the way to go, unless you have room.
I second the suggestion of the Wilderness Atak kayak, as they have the reputation of being very stable, and Wilderness Systems were one of the first to offer a standable kayak, with their early Ride 135's.

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 02:38 PM

OP I recommend a fish finder that has GPS. You'll use it a lot. That said if the kayak doesn't have a molded in pocket for the transducer to mount you could get a side mount transducer set up where the transducer attaches to a flexible arm that manually swings over the side of the kayak into the water. Best option is to buy a kayak that has a molded in place in the bottom of the kayak for a transducer. With that in mind the Wilderness ATAK 120 does have a molded in place for a transducer and is super stable though it's a little heavy at 86 lbs.

Don't forget about the Vibe Seaghost 130. It's a little longer than most river kayaks (at 13') so keep that in mind but IMO it's the best all around paddle kayak out there for the price (at $999). You can stand in it, weight is average at 75 lbs, comes with a rudder and it's pretty fast. It does have a molded in transducer pocket and lots of accessories. Also it has the best resell value of any paddle kayak. Try looking around for a used one. You'll have a hard time finding one. They're that good.

https://vibekayaks.com/products/2019-vibe-sea-ghost-130-angler-kayak-package

Not trying to steer you in one direction. There's a lot of options. I know you mentioned river fishing but keep in mind you may want to be able to fish more than just rivers.
Posted By: janie

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 03:05 PM

PF, no clue where you are located, but if near my neck of the woods, your more than welcome to take my Nu Canoe out for a paddle.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 03:17 PM

Figure out your budget. Figure out how you’ll store and transport your kayak. Test paddle as many kayaks as you can before making a decision. Get a comfortable PFD and a good, light paddle. Paddle around and go fishing several times to see what you really use and where you lay things. No need to buy a lot of accessories you may never use. YakGrips are the best accessory I bought. A sonar unit is very handy.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 04:48 PM

what happens when you set the hook
while standing?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
what happens when you set the hook
while standing?

You potentially catch a fish.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 07:34 PM

A Garmin Striker 4 can be purchased for less than $100. In my opinion, this is the best sonar for the price.

If your yak does not have a transducer mount under the hull, the transducer can be glued to the inside of the hull with Marine Goop. It will operate just fine (including water temp) if glued... just scratch the surface of the hull and make sure that there are no air bubbles in the Marine Goop.

To better ensure that there are no air bubbles, you can use a foam form to make a "pool" of Goop to set the transducer in. I did this in my fiberglass Skeeter and it worked great... it will work even better though a plastic yak. Here is a good pic that I grabbed online.

[Linked Image]

Re: Best Kayak for Standing and Rivers - 07/16/19 07:46 PM

Did not know that. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum