Texas Fishing Forum

2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive

Posted By: Clay34

2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/11/19 09:00 PM

Congrats to Hobie on a new revolutionary drive mechanism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Srz73LoE
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/11/19 09:46 PM

The maneuverability is insane with the new drive.
Also the fins retract when they hit something.
No more pulling on something to change direction, all done similar to how adjusted the rudder previously.
This is truly innovative.

Found this video from icast which shows the capabilities a little better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nVxeeNHIM

Downside is it sounds like it will be pretty expensive though.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/11/19 09:54 PM

Wow
Very sweet
Posted By: shadboy

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/11/19 11:40 PM

Ok.

How does this sound.

"Honey, I won't lose jigs any more so this yak will save us money"

I think she will buy that excuse. bolt
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 12:20 AM

Hobie is the clear innovation leader in the kayak industry. The new drive is amazing. Issue for me is it's in a Pro Angler (other than the cost). I don't want another PA. I'm hoping it will sell really well so Hobie will be more inclined to add it to the Outback. It'd be awesome if they would sell an adapter kit so the current 180 drive can have break away fins too. Hell I'd prolly even buy a whole $900 drive if they would make one with break away fins. To me that's the best feature.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 03:26 AM

I have a 2019 PA14. Won't be making any changes this year, but down the road this looks like a nice step in the right direction. I think that the PA still needs a built in PowerPole mount like the Outback. It just rubbed me the wrong way to spend another $90 on that mount. I can already hear your saying that $90 shouldn't be a think in what I have invested in the boat. But some things just get under your skin and rub you wrong and this is one of those things for me.

Maybe the 2021 will have a built in PowerPole mount and the 360 drive.

It's always cool to stay on top of the latest, hottest. I just don't need to change boats every year.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 05:42 AM

Yes please grin

I can see one in my future... After waiting a year or so they can work any bugs out of the design.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 12:32 PM

Just like cars, there will be self driving kayaks, and the first one will probably be a Hobie!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 12:33 PM

This is the excuse I've been waiting for to finally stop looking for a mystery leak in my 2014 PA.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 12:50 PM

The PA 14 360 is right at $5200 after taxes. The PA 12 360 will be just over $5000 after taxes. That's a lot of money for a plastic kayak. I could re-buy all 4 of my kayaks (each with rudders) at their original msrp and still have some pocket change for accessories. But, I got to admit that drive is pretty slick.

I can also envision a few people turtling or rolling the kayak, too. Get going too fast in a straight line and make too sharp a turn and I can see inertia taking over.

It's pretty innovative, and they definitely deserved their iCast award this year. I just can't past the sticker price.
Posted By: janie

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 12:56 PM

I like it. A lot. Can't justify the expense tho.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 01:30 PM

Nice boat. Im not made for pedal drives but i do think those are nice.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 01:40 PM

If you are a die hard kayak tournament fisherman, then more power to you if you can afford it, so I'm sure there will be a lot of regular folks wanting to invest that kind of money as well.
The way I look at it is if you can already spend $3500 or whatever on a new Pro Angler, then what's another couple of grand?
I'm not in that league and never will be.
Give me my $700 kayak and a good fishing hole and I'm a happy camper!

I have to laugh when I see someone say, "entry level kayak!"......That's just a polite way of saying "cheap kayak!" roflmao
Posted By: BassFever

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 01:55 PM

It looks awesome. But I worry about the internal drive system breaking. What will happen then? And I agree $5k plus without adding is very $$$. All the while other peddle kayaks are coming down in price.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 02:23 PM

That’s pretty awesome.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BassFever
It looks awesome. But I worry about the internal drive system breaking. What will happen then?

Folks have used this as a justification not to buy the current pedal drive system even though the current drive system is extremely reliable.

Yes, any pedal drive can fail (although it's rare)... That's why they come with a paddle!

Paddles can break (or more likely float away)... that's why they sell small back up paddles.

The "drive system might fail" argument is like a King of Kings episode that cracks me up every time I see it. Doug was helping his dad into the house and picked up an old school suitcase with no wheels. Doug said, "Dad, you know these things come with wheels now". With an authoritative tone the dad said, "wheels break kiddo... and where does that leave you". With a frustrated tone, Doug mumbled "right back to here"

The pedal drive systems are expensive and are not for all, but they are a great fit for some. I really like my pedal drive for fishing. However, I have also considered buying a paddle yak for the enjoyment of it. If I do this, the paddle will be more for exploring, exercise and adventure... and less for fishing.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Neumie
I can also envision a few people turtling or rolling the kayak, too. Get going too fast in a straight line and make too sharp a turn and I can see inertia taking over.

The first video I saw of it I thought the same thing when the guy that helped designed it was going donuts in the PA12. I think that's why it's only on the PA. Kuddos to Hobie for not trying to put it on an Outback and causing a lot of issues. There are a few manufactures that probably would have rolled it out on all models without doing extensive testing. Can't think of any other manufacture that would have sat on this for 6 years while working out the kinks and kept it as quiet as they did.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 05:11 PM

I think the Hobie Engineers used to work for NASA but left because of budget constraints.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 05:36 PM

I have to comment on the cost issues that come up. First this boat isn't for everyone but neither is the new 622FS Pro Ranger that is almost 23' and the starting price is in the $80K range. Plastic boats that get you on the water are a value indeed. The second point is that the cost of the boat is about half the cost of the fully rigged fishing machine. Add in a trailer, electronics and all of the YakAttack / Ram mounts, GoPro, PowerPole and Lithium sealed marine batteries and the kayak price doubles crazy quick.

There is definitely something attractive about a sub $1000 kayak but a $5K boat is still a bargain when it comes to new fishing machines today and the reason why kayak fishing has taken off in popularity. It's always interesting to see what is state of the art in our hobby. There is still nothing wrong if you admire the new Ranger, but fish out of 14' John boat.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard
I think the Hobie Engineers used to work for NASA but left because of budget constraints.

roflmao

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
It looks awesome. But I worry about the internal drive system breaking. What will happen then?

Folks have used this as a justification not to buy the current pedal drive system even though the current drive system is extremely reliable.

Yes, any pedal drive can fail (although it's rare)... That's why they come with a paddle!

Paddles can break (or more likely float away)... that's why they sell small back up paddles.

The "drive system might fail" argument is like a King of Kings episode that cracks me up every time I see it. Doug was helping his dad into the house and picked up an old school suitcase with no wheels. Doug said, "Dad, you know these things come with wheels now". With an authoritative tone the dad said, "wheels break kiddo... and where does that leave you". With a frustrated tone, Doug mumbled "right back to here"

The pedal drive systems are expensive and are not for all, but they are a great fit for some. I really like my pedal drive for fishing. However, I have also considered buying a paddle yak for the enjoyment of it. If I do this, the paddle will be more for exploring, exercise and adventure... and less for fishing.

I'm not talking about the drive unit itself. I mean the new turn handle and gears that are built into the kayak. If they broke you would have to cut into the kayak.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 08:27 PM

For those who are interested, here is a good overview of the actual 360 drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKs6xSf_l0

Yes, this is proof that I am obsessing over the 360 drive and breakaway feature.

I keep telling myself... "look away"... "look away" smirk smile roflmao

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 08:35 PM

I'm not talking about the drive unit itself. I mean the new turn handle and gears that are built into the kayak. If they broke you would have to cut into the kayak.

This is not correct. All of the components are installed after the hull is moulded. It's not easy to reach all of the existing components, but they can be reached. The new drive simply incorporates one more feature (gear drive for the 360)... this will be accessed the same way that the existing rudder control is accessed (which is through the square hatch).

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/12/19 11:03 PM

BassFever Hobie stands behind there product. They have an entire forum similar to this one and is moderated constantly by multiple Hobie staffers. If there are any issues I have zero concern about Hobie making it right regardless of what kayak it is. That said I can certainly understand waiting a year to work the kinks out.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/13/19 05:10 AM

This is a game changer for me. I exclusively fish for crappie in my kayak and this would save me so much time and trouble staying over brushpiles and trees. But over five grand for a yak is a bit excessive.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/13/19 06:12 PM

Is this a kayak forum or a Hobie love fest forum? I'm NOT hating on the new 360. I was just pointing out some of my concerns. If they aren't warranted then I'll figure it out in time. But don't try to beat me down every time I post. I nearly bought a Hobie PA 12 a couple years back. I believe most companies will back their products not just Hobie.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/13/19 06:54 PM

Is this a kayak forum or a Hobie love fest forum? I'm NOT hating on the new 360. I was just pointing out some of my concerns. If they aren't warranted then I'll figure it out in time. But don't try to beat me down every time I post. I nearly bought a Hobie PA 12 a couple years back. I believe most companies will back their products not just Hobie.

Lol not trying to beat anyone up at all. Sorry you took it that way.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/13/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

Lol not trying to beat anyone up at all. Sorry you took it that way.

Agreed, I'm not trying to beat anyone down. Believe it or not, Hobie guys are in the minority on this site. There is sometimes a little friendly back and forth between the paddle and pedal guys and gals. It's all respectful and in good fun. We all enjoy fishing out of Yaks (although the PA's are a loose interpretation of the word "Kayak" grin) and we all learn a lot from each other.

Sorry to offend.... it was not intended in the least.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/13/19 09:36 PM

It would’ve been better if they made the drive so that we could upgrade to the Mirage 360. Sucks for us people that just bought new 2019 models and now they come out this this lol.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/14/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by iluvfishin
It would’ve been better if they made the drive so that we could upgrade to the Mirage 360. Sucks for us people that just bought new 2019 models and now they come out this this lol.

I hear ya. A similar thing happened to me... I bought my son a 2018 Outback (in late 2017) and then they came out with the completely redesigned 2019 model. Granted, this was not as drastic as the Mirage 360 update, but the 2019 Outback has some really nice features over the 2018. It is what it is!

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/14/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by iluvfishin

Would have been impossible to design the drive lever free if it could accommodate previous year hulls
The 360 drive very well might fit, but you wouldn’t be able to control the drive without the communicating gear mechanism/handle assembly

That being said, it doesn’t take long for some Hobie customers to find work arounds

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/14/19 02:01 PM

I must agree with a previous post in that the more small moving parts you have in a “kayak”, the more likely there will be mechanical issues and maintenance.

There will be a market for a service plan/kayak insurance with this model—it costs $1000 more than my first car
Posted By: Brad R

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/14/19 02:24 PM

I give the 360 a big nod, a huge nod, for taking back the lead for kayaks best suited for tournament fishing. Great job! The advantages are slim but aren't they always at this point in fishing kayak developments? If you get one more fish, one more bite, it has value.

The price? While it is fun to debate, to lament, to criticize, the 360 PA 12s and PA 14s are likely priced EXACTLY correct. We will know soon . . . but I bet there are more buyers lined up for this fall's "360" release than Hobie can accommodate early on. A kayak's price, if it is going to stay on the market and succeed, is always more than its costs to build (and get on a showroom floor) plus a reasonable profit margin for its maker, for its retailer. From there, it will simply be math: at what price will the number of units sold multiplied by some retail price optimize profits? Not profit margins, but gross profits.

This is a long way of saying that supply and demand set prices. Prospective kayak purchasers (demand) will influence price as much as Hobie (supply and profit motivation). Note here, the drop in several pedal kayaks recently. The Predator PDL has dropped. My little Native Propel 10 has drop several hundred dollars likely owing to competition in the short pedaler space with the new smaller Old Town Topwater and more.

Why do $1000 kayaks sell for $1000? Because they can't get $1100 for them, that's why. If Hobie can get 5 grand for 360s, sell enough at that price to optimize profits, it is "we" who set or at least influence the price. If are willing to pay 6 grand and there are enough of us, they'd be priced at 6 grand.

Cheers! Brad

Posted By: Wishicaughtmore

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/15/19 04:43 AM

I just bought a 2019 outback that I love but I want one of these!!!!!

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/15/19 03:54 PM

I guess $5000 kayaks are still pretty cheap when you consider that a trolling motor as being discussed over in the bass section cost $2800, not counting all the high tech electronic fish finders, and not to mention the high dollar rods and reels and full tackle boxes plus the price of those bass rigs, and trucks that are pulling them.
And that's so that you can catch a fish that you are going to release as soon as possible after you catch it? hammer

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/15/19 04:21 PM

You are spot on Jimbo! As with many hobbies, the cost cannot be justified from a "need" position.

For example... I hear guys in my office talking about several hundred dollars on a single golf club and club memberships that cost several thousand per year (in addition to $50,000 buy-in's). Some folks will spend $5,000+ on a "non-collectible" shotgun.

I look at these examples and I think it's ridiculous to spend that much money on metal clubs and a gun that spays pellets.... then I find myself considering $5,000 for a plastic boat roflmao

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/15/19 07:44 PM

They say only difference between men and boys are the price of our toys. They right!

That said $5k on a kayak is entirely too much for me. I don't use the word never very often cause never's a long time but I don't see myself ever spending that much on one kayak. I did buy a PA14 but bought it used ( 2016 that had never been in the water) for $2000. I was looking for an Outback but it was too good to pass up.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/16/19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
They say only difference between men and boys are the price of our toys. They right!

That said $5k on a kayak is entirely too much for me. I don't use the word never very often cause never's a long time but I don't see myself ever spending that much on one kayak. I did buy a PA14 but bought it used ( 2016 that had never been in the water) for $2000. I was looking for an Outback but it was too good to pass up.

Yep, only way I'll ever afford one myself.
The one I'll end up buying will probably be beat up pretty good and held together with bailing wire, but as long as it still works and doesn't leak, I'll be fine with it if it's cheap enough. roflmao
Posted By: Chucked

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/16/19 08:19 PM

I'd probably buy one if there were some other upgrades included - such as being power pole ready. I think the price is probably about right. My biggest concern about my Pa14 now is breaking the drive. I've done this before, about 1.5miles from the ramp in fairly rough conditions and it was no fun. Luckily though, Hobie repaired the drive under warranty so I'm not too worried about problems. I've actually been looking at other pedal drives to alleviate my fears of hitting a stump and not being able to get back...but the 360 seems to take care of that.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/16/19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chucked
I'd probably buy one if there were some other upgrades included - such as being power pole ready. I think the price is probably about right. My biggest concern about my Pa14 now is breaking the drive. I've done this before, about 1.5miles from the ramp in fairly rough conditions and it was no fun. Luckily though, Hobie repaired the drive under warranty so I'm not too worried about problems. I've actually been looking at other pedal drives to alleviate my fears of hitting a stump and not being able to get back...but the 360 seems to take care of that.

I hear ya Chucked. To me, the kick up feature is just as valuable as the 360.

I have bent a couple rods myself that could not be straightened on the water. Luckily both were on flat water and it was pretty late in the day so I simply fished my way back with the paddle. I carry a set of spare rods with me now. I figure I can paddle to the nearest bank and swap out the rod(s) in about 5 minutes if I have to.

I must have been lucky or gotten better at fin control because I haven't bent a rod since I bought the spares. LOL
Posted By: 5wtflyfisher

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/16/19 11:23 PM

sweet yak but 5k for a yak is too much for a yak. Not saying it is not worth it because I know the R and D to make the system was expensive. Heck I love that you can parallel park the damn thing.
I spent 5k for my solo skiff, 5 hp merc and a 15 ft trailex trailer.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 07/17/19 12:47 AM

Mike I hear ya. I've bent my rods so bad they couldn't be straitened lol. Is rather the rods give then cracking the hull tho.

I'm hoping Hobie comes out with an adapter kit that will provide a kick up option to older Mirage drives. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm sure it could be done.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 11/14/19 06:19 PM

Might have to stop by Angler's Pro Tackle to test drive.
Posted By: shadboy

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 11/15/19 01:02 PM

Man that drive looks sweet. Wonder why the seat is so high.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 11/15/19 02:05 PM

It looks like the angle at which the pedals move is not straight back and forth, but a very slight higher to lower angle; thus the seat needs to be higher to align the lower leg to the pedal movement.

This would put the kayaker in a position of mechanical advantage to drive the pedals.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 11/15/19 04:05 PM

I don't think the 360 seat is higher than the "normal" PA?

I can testify that the seat is very comfortable... not only can you adjust it to your liking, but the height also allows you to stand up very easily.

If you find yourself in rough waters, you can drop the kickstand and lower your center of gravity by about 4".
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 11/15/19 08:28 PM

Man, I really like some of this features, like the pre-drilled holes for wires and that it comes ready for side imaging. Always liked the rod storage, but the Plano boxes in the hatch is cool too. Really nice.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 01/08/20 02:15 PM

Just picked mine up , its soooo cool was really only able to afford it because of an unexpected windfall but wife said it was a sign and I had to but it .. love that woman !

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 01/08/20 02:56 PM

Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it. Please keep us updated.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 01/08/20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aquiles
Just picked mine up , its soooo cool was really only able to afford it because of an unexpected windfall but wife said it was a sign and I had to but it .. love that woman !

Congrats! thumb
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 01/08/20 07:07 PM

Sounds like a great kayak. The 360 drive is revolutionary.
Congratulations.
Please give us an update after you have had it out on the water.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 01/08/20 10:58 PM

I will also have one before spring smile. The only thing holding me back is the color... I don't love or hate either color and am having a difficult time making a decision.

This is a shameless plug that I will be selling my 2017 camo PA14 very soon. More to follow in the classifieds

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 02/03/20 04:09 PM

Well, I picked up my PA 360 over the weekend. I will take it out as soon as the Boonedox and fish finder are installed.

I will be selling my 2017 camo PA 180 soon... More to follow in the classifieds.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 02/03/20 06:34 PM

Congrats on the new yak Mike! You go with the green or blue camo?

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 02/03/20 06:57 PM

I went with blue camo... I weeded through their inventory and found one with a lot of black in it. The extra black helps in my opinion.

I like the color better in the daylight than under fluorescent light. I still don't love the color, but its growing on me the more that I look at it.

Re: 2020 Hobie Pro Angler 360 Drive - 02/03/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
I went with blue camo... I weeded through their inventory and found one with a lot of black in it. The extra black helps in my opinion.

I like the color better in the daylight than under fluorescent light. I still don't love the color, but its growing on me the more that I look at it.

Good deal. That'd be the color I would choose.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum