Texas Fishing Forum

Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback)

Posted By: DaBears

Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 04:05 PM

After lots of window shopping and spending countless hours drooling over YouTube videos, I am going to buy my first kayak after work today from Mariner Sails.

This last weekend, I had the pleasure of fishing in my first kayak tournament at the coast and had a blast! I was able to rent a Hobie Compass that handled very well in 20-25 MPH winds. I would now like to find more kayak tournaments held in the DFW. I did a search online and could not find a good resource for this.

Are there any recommended sites to find other kayak only tournaments in the DFW area?

Thank you
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 04:50 PM

Congrats on getting your new Outback! If I ever have to replace my PA14 it'll probably be with an Outback. They're about as close to a good fit for a pedal fishing kayak as possible for many styles/types of fishing IMO.
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 05:19 PM

Hands free fishing. Love pedal drives. I always hated dealing with a paddle and pole at same time. Alot on the market now. Native has some nice ones also. Hobie Passport if on a budget.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
Congrats on getting your new Outback! If I ever have to replace my PA14 it'll probably be with an Outback. They're about as close to a good fit for a pedal fishing kayak as possible for many styles/types of fishing IMO.

I agree with Jerry! I love my PA14 and it fits my style of fishing really good, but the versatility of the Outbacks is the sweet spot in Hobie Mirage line.

The Outback is a great yak for those who prefer pedals. There is very little that it won't do well.

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 06:05 PM

About half of my fishing is in the marsh in 1-2 foot of water or sometimes less. I really like how on the new Outbacks Hobie recessed the Mirage drive so when the fins are pinned up against the bottom of the hull the base of the drive won't drag on sand, mud & oysters.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/28/19 11:21 PM

Nice! I bought a used 2016 outback from here in the for sale page. I even though it doesn’t have reverse I love it! I got the turbo fins and the upgrade sailing rudder. After paddling for 4 years its nice to have some pedals to be able to cover distance on windy days and get to spots I want to fish. Only had it since February but have had some great days fishing out of it. It had helped me in the NTXKC tournaments this year to cover water and get my limit a few times! Hope its a great yak for you!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/29/19 05:33 PM

Congrats! Check the DFW Kayaking FaceBook page for tourney stuff
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 06/30/19 01:21 AM

If I were to go back and buy my kayak. It would’ve been the 2019 Outback. No complaints on my Compass though.
Posted By: DaBears

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Congrats! Check the DFW Kayaking FaceBook page for tourney stuff

Thanks for the info!

Picked up my beautiful Seagrass Green outback from the great people at Mariner Sails. Spent this weekend looking through the huge selections of accessories for it. I feel like I am going to have to spend about as much on accessories then I did on the Kayak to get everything I want!
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaBears
I feel like I am going to have to spend about as much on accessories then I did on the Kayak to get everything I want!

It happens quick! but that's part of the fun...
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 04:07 PM

Congrats on your new kayak.
Wishing you many great memories.

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaBears
I feel like I am going to have to spend about as much on accessories then I did on the Kayak to get everything I want!

Accessories aren't cheap for sure. A lot of us buy lots of stuff for our yaks thinking it's something we need and end up not using it. I'm prolly more guilty than anyone. I recommend taking your kayak fishing several times before you buy anything. Get to know it well. It'll save you lots of moola I promise.
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by iluvfishin
If I were to go back and buy my kayak. It would’ve been the 2019 Outback. No complaints on my Compass though.

Any particular reason you would switch? I am really liking the Compass, I've had my eye on a peddle drive for awhile and . And i would love an outback, but at 68 pounds the compass seems more practical for me without a truck or trailer, I car top my kayaks. And seems like it would be a bit quicker, obviously sacrificing some storage, seat adjustments, and deck space. I've peddled an outback but not a compass yet.
Posted By: janie

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/01/19 05:09 PM

Congrat's on a very nice yak. And welcome to the addiction. It's awesome.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Buying My First Kayak Today!! (Hobie Outback) - 07/02/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by YakfishinTx81
Originally Posted by iluvfishin

Any particular reason you would switch? I am really liking the Compass, I've had my eye on a peddle drive for awhile and . And i would love an outback, but at 68 pounds the compass seems more practical for me without a truck or trailer, I car top my kayaks. And seems like it would be a bit quicker, obviously sacrificing some storage, seat adjustments, and deck space. I've peddled an outback but not a compass yet.

No particular reason. I like the look of the new Outback. As much money I put into my Compass, I could buy a 2019 PA12 lol. Still not done yet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum