Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak suggestions?

Posted By: Smurfs

Kayak suggestions? - 06/17/19 11:54 PM

Wife wants a yak. She does not fish. To this point she has been in a Jackson mayfly and cruise. Sense she doesnt fish dont really wont to spend that kind of money. She has also not experience a pedal yak either, many have said she would still most likely want a paddle yak. any suggestion on yaks we should look at it that will move really good, but just for pleasure? Preferably sit on top.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 12:11 AM

I'm honestly not too familiar with paddle kayaks other than fishing yaks. If she wants to entertain a peddle yak the new Hobie Passport looks like it'd be a good fit.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 12:18 AM

Pescidor is always worth a look. One of the best budget kayaks made. Really you have to get her out trying them and see what she feels comfortable in.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 12:49 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 02:48 AM

You and your wife should make the trip over to Mariner Sails. They are very knowledable and also do demos every week on various lakes.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 12:31 PM

Check with the kayak shops in your area and find out if they let you rent, or when they have their demo days.
You can get suggestions all day on this forum, but actually trying them out personally is the best advise I can give.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 04:11 PM

DEMO days will be key in making your decision. Test drive as many yaks as possible till she finds the best fit.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/18/19 04:14 PM

Go to Inks Lake , they rent kayaks and she can try one out before you buy .
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/21/19 06:13 PM

Get whatever you need for a second fishing kayak for yourself. roflmao Ignorance is bliss... she'll love it and won't know whether it paddles great or not. Just make sure you get her a lightweight quality paddle. You can thank me later. roflmao bolt
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/21/19 08:02 PM

DON'T skimp on her kayak!
If she isn't happy with her kayak, you won't be either, and you will just make life hard on yourself.......I'm no authority, but I've been married 50 years if that counts for anything!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/21/19 08:56 PM

Buy what you want and she will hopefully hate. Instant buddy yak!!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/22/19 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
DON'T skimp on her kayak!
If she isn't happy with her kayak, you won't be either, and you will just make life hard on yourself.......I'm no authority, but I've been married 50 years if that counts for anything!

Truth right there. Ive spent every bit as much on amandas kayaks as i have my own. The benefit is she comes with me. Plus sometimes we swap boats just to mix it up.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/23/19 05:31 AM

If she wants to try a pedal kayak for longer than a short demo, Lake Ray Roberts Marina has two Hobie PA's for rent. They are $80 for 8 hours. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad rental price.
Posted By: DblNoob

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/23/19 04:50 PM

I know that you said that you prefer a sit on, but you might want to look at the Wilderness System Pungo 100 or 120. They are sit in recreational kayaks that have a very large cockpit, so one doesn't feel confined. They also have a very comfortable seat, and are fast enough to be able to keep up with a lot of sea kayaks, they are incredibly stable plus they are much lighter than sit ins.
Posted By: Clay34

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/23/19 05:00 PM

If she liked the Mayfly she will also like the Liska. Very stable nice boat at a reasonable price.
Posted By: Andwebb

Re: Kayak suggestions? - 06/23/19 07:33 PM

I have the mayfly and its incredible. very stable and tons of storage.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum