Texas Fishing Forum

2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents

Posted By: Neumie

2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 03:58 AM

Since the Memorial Day incident I decided to research other situations in which a death or rescue occurred in Texas when someone was paddling a watercraft. I compiled everything into a google doc to keep track. If you are aware of any other incidents to add to the list please let me know.

Google Doc link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H8GdL-43e12MVnvH6PdMImC8erT4FYgl_xs1TLxgvx0/edit?usp=sharing
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 10:00 AM

It would be nice if every time a person purchased a new kayak they would get like 2 or 3 free paddle classes either from the store or through a deal with a separate company. I know that would only help a portion of the people but it cant hurt. Mabey if stores had or offered lessons as well.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 11:32 AM

Very interesting. I think too many people overestimate their abilities and underestimate Mother Nature.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 12:02 PM

It would in my opinion be impossible to keep track, and everyone and their dog now days has some type of kayak in their garage or backyard.
Walmart sells them, and also pool noodles, so that tells you something right there.
If you buy one of those cheap kayaks from the big box stores and you go out on a lake and drown, you will be loosely reported as a kayaker to make my point, and there are thousands sold, and the last thing on those shoppers mind is taking any kind of lessons.
I can't tell you how many times I go out to the lake and see people in kayaks not wearing a PFD.
If the drownings continue, you will see laws passed where wearing one at all times will be mandatory, to protect people from themselves.

Note: a major stat that isn't on that list is if a PFD were worn or not?
The obvious answer to all would probably be NO! But maybe an eye opener to anyone viewing it!
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 02:22 PM

Startling, but great synopsis, Josh.

What people don't understand is, that every time you go out in nature; kayaking, camping, fishing, surfing, or anything else, you are subject to those two Fickle Bitches: Mother Nature, and Lady Luck, and neither are your friend!

IslandJim
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by IslandJim

What people don't understand is, that every time you go out in nature; kayaking, camping, fishing, surfing, or anything else, you are subject to those two Fickle Bitches: Mother Nature, and Lady Luck, and neither are your friend!

IslandJim

Throw in a lack of a single dose of common sense and you have a disaster.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by IslandJim

IslandJim

Throw in a lack of a single dose of common sense and you have a disaster.

I think common sense would help mitigate mother nature and lady luck, to an extent.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo

If the drownings continue, you will see laws passed where wearing one at all times will be mandatory, to protect people from themselves.

It happened with jet skis. I agree it could happen with kayaks too.
Posted By: gander

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/11/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
It would be nice if every time a person purchased a new kayak they would get like 2 or 3 free paddle classes either from the store or through a deal with a separate company. I know that would only help a portion of the people but it cant hurt. Mabey if stores had or offered lessons as well.
This would interest me. I would love to be able to learn efficient paddle techniques and just overall safety when I get mine. I am hoping to find a place that can offer this. I "think" there is a group that offers kayaking or rentals out at Lake Arlington. Does anybody know about this ?
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/12/19 12:45 AM

There's a company in Rowlett that offers kayak classes.

http://www.kayakinstruct.com/
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/12/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by gander
This would interest me. I would love to be able to learn efficient paddle techniques and just overall safety when I get mine. I am hoping to find a place that can offer this. I "think" there is a group that offers kayaking or rentals out at Lake Arlington. Does anybody know about this ?

If you cant find anyone i am happy to help you learn. Ive been paddling almost 40 years now. No charge you just have to drive to lewisville lake or ray roberts
Posted By: gander

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-Craft Incidents - 06/12/19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by gander

If you cant find anyone i am happy to help you learn. Ive been paddling almost 40 years now. No charge you just have to drive to lewisville lake or ray roberts
Thank you I appreciate the offer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum