Texas Fishing Forum

Dfw- 161 and Beltline

Posted By: Superduty

Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 06:38 PM

I was discussing little lakes to launch and fish with my neighbor. I was told off 161 and Beltline near Coppell is a great little pond. I have seen it hundreds of times driving by.

Anyone know about regulations, legal or and advice?

Birds Fort Trail Park is where I want to put in.

birds fort trail park kayaking

Bird's Fort Trail Park

5756 Riverside Dr, Irving, TX 75039
(972) 721-2501

I want to go early in the a.m. tomorrow.

Thank you.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 09:18 PM

Ok, I am going to this area...

t w richardson grove park

T.W. Richardson Grove

333 I-635, Dallas, TX 75234
(972) 721-2600

Has anyone been there before?
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 09:47 PM

What's the water level like after all this rain?

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay
What's the water level like after all this rain?

Do not actually know, online says park is open. I am going to just have to drive out there in the a.m. and take a look.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 10:23 PM

I did not know there were so many access points.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 11:30 PM

All of those ponds are good for bass (mostly spots, some largemouth). You are unlikely to catch a trophy, but they have a good number of decent size bass.

If you can find the crappie, they are good size.

I'm not sure about catfish... But I assume there are decent cats too.

Good luck!

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/26/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
All of those ponds are good for bass (mostly spots, some largemouth). You are unlikely to catch a trophy, but they have a good number of decent size bass.

If you can find the crappie, they are good size.

I'm not sure about catfish... But I assume there are decent cats too.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, you seem pretty knowledgeable, I am flip flopping and now thinking of Marine Creek, due to water conditions on trinity. I would like to be semi-secluded and some bodies of calm water to get my bearings and feeling on the new kayak. From the map the 161 area does have connected ponds....please advise if you can.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 01:58 AM

Yeah, im not sure how the Trinity is looking right now... it could be pretty dirty.

You can put in at Sandy Lake Park boat ramp and follow the Trinity north about 1/4 mile to Denton Creek and then into a large pond. Denton Creek, the feeder creek and the mouth of the pond are typically good areas for bass. You can also paddle up the Trinity and fish the flood gates. This entire area is surprisingly secluded. Aside from the distant sound of George Bush, it feels like you are well outside of DFW. I often see wild hogs on the bank. https://goo.gl/maps/YjfcC5eVxbK4oqqk7

You can also put in under George Bush at Luna. This feels like you are fishing in DFW because George Bush is overhead, but there is a good number of 1 to 3 lb bass over by the shooting range. https://goo.gl/maps/aBX9t8JhRk8e4BGz8

I've never fished McInnish Park, but I read a couple reports that said it's not good. My assumption is that it's overfished because it has good access from the ball diamond parking lot.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 02:13 AM

Yeah, im not sure how the Trinity is looking right now... it could be pretty dirty.

You can put in at Sandy Lake Park boat ramp and follow the Trinity north about 1/4 mile to Denton Creek and then into a large pond. Denton Creek, the feeder creek and the mouth of the pond are typically good areas for bass. You can also paddle up the Trinity and fish the flood gates. This entire area is surprisingly secluded. Aside from the distant sound of George Bush, it feels like you are well outside of DFW. I often see wild hogs on the bank. https://goo.gl/maps/YjfcC5eVxbK4oqqk7

You can also put in under George Bush at Luna. This feels like you are fishing in DFW because George Bush is overhead, but there is a good number of 1 to 3 lb bass over by the shooting range. https://goo.gl/maps/aBX9t8JhRk8e4BGz8

I've never fished McInnish Park, but I read a couple reports that said it's not good. My assumption is that it's overfished because it has good access from the ball diamond parking lot.

Thank,you so,much, my main concern is I do not have a Kayak cart....from parking lot to water is it a large haul on George Bush Luna?

Sandy Lake looks good.

Thank you again!

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 02:21 AM

Also...being a newbie..can someone explain these numbers...

[Linked Image]

Safe normal, raised...dangerous?

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty

Thank,you so,much, my main concern is I do not have a Kayak cart....from parking lot to water is it a large haul on George Bush Luna?

Sandy Lake looks good.

Thank you again!

There is no "parking lot" at Luna... It's a graveled area under George Bush all the way to the waters edge. This is not a development access point. However, you can see the ruts where folks pull under the overpass to park.

Sandy Lake has a small boat ramp and parking lot.

If the Trinity is clean with a normal flow, the Trinity is good choice when its windy and/or hot. It's protected from the wind and is heavily treed so there is a lot of shade.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 03:09 AM

[Linked Image]

I don't watch the flow enough to know what those numbers mean. However, you can look back a few months and see how they compare to February and March (before the rains).

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 03:35 AM

[Linked Image]

I don't watch the flow enough to know what those numbers mean. However, you can look back a few months and see how they compare to February and March (before the rains).

Mike, thank you so much. Would love to kayak/fish with you if you ever get the opportunity. I am a 51 year old man who has been happily married over 26 years.

Tight lines.
Respectfully.
Shane

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 04:02 AM

I'm happy to meet up some time! The next couple weekends don't work for me though...

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/27/19 07:03 PM

Made it back, got skunked. Really wanted to feel the Kayak. Ended up going to Luna under the George Bush. That other point where the paddle trail was...let’s say the Trinity looked scary, to say the least.

Here are some pics. Thank you for all of the help, cannot wait till next weekend!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/28/19 12:35 AM

Nice day for your maiden voyage!

Lots of "skunking" going around right now... The high water can make for a slow bite.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/28/19 03:49 PM

That spot under GB and Luna is tough so dont feel bad about it. Lots of catfish and gar in there. Bass are not large in numbers and a 3lb fish is a good one there. That said, nice kayak!

I used to fish that spot and other smaller ponds in that area a lot but have gotten into fishing more protected areas of larger lakes and have enjoyed it more. Just bigger fish and more species to target. Examples are Twin Coves at Grapevine, Pilot Knoll on Lewisville, any of the Marinas on Texomas south side, the Buck creek area on Ray Bob etc. Still love fishing those ponds though!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/31/19 06:42 PM

Not sure of the baits you were using but in those areas I always had the best luck on small spinners and yum finesse worms Carolina rigged. I just caught more numbers once I downsized my bait.

Re: Dfw- 161 and Beltline - 05/31/19 07:02 PM

Small crankbaits work well too. Running a Baby Minus One over the grass has worked well for me in the past. However, with the water so high, the grass is probably now under 10' of water. Ugh!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum