Texas Fishing Forum

Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA?

Posted By: Clay34

Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/25/19 03:44 PM

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the fly fishing section, but chose this forum.

I have a PA 14 with lots of goodies attached and spend too much time getting my line untangled. I really looked at a Jackson Mayfly seriously but went with the Hobie many reasons. The boat is wonderful, but the frustration with line management is an issue.

I have issues with the line wrapping around the H-Bar mounted for standing casting, cup holder, Vantage seat adjustment handles, Hobie box mounted on the H-Rail.

Anyone use any type of stripping basket that would work with this particular boat?
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/25/19 07:17 PM

You could try some kind of matt or towel to drape over everything. Funny how the fly line finds anything it can to hang up on. I don’t have the Hobie PA, but fly fishing is what I do when I’m in my Commander 140. There’s not Much in that kayak to hang up on. I fish barefoot just so I can feel when I might be stepping on the fly line. I try real hard to direct where I strip the line and not be random about it at all. Some of the bigger nets can serve as a stripping basket.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/25/19 07:47 PM

A wet towel is a good place to start. If it solves the problem then it is a cheap fix. A wet towel does not get blown away by the wind as easily as a dry one.

If that doesn't work then there are a lot of options and many of them are not kayak friendly. The obvious answer is to remove as much as possible from the kayak when fly fishing.

I find that any form of stripping basket that hangs on a belt gets in the way in a kayak. Not enough room.

The key to using a basket type device that sits on the deck is to practice where you put the line when pulling it into the kayak. If not you'll miss the basket and then they are just something else to hang up on.

Personally, I found when I learned to put the line in a specific spot in the kayak, that I didn't need the basket anymore.

Good luck!
Posted By: Clay34

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/25/19 08:59 PM

I tried to put my butt on the H-Bar (leaning bar) and strip into the seat. Those adjuster on the Vantage seat, just reach out and grab the line. The H-Bar knobs, tackle bin, cup holder and drive pedals are not your friends either.

I knew about the wet towel but haven't tried that this year in this boat. I think that wet towel on the seat would do OK. I have two different stripping baskets now: a folding mesh style and an Orvis hard plastic one. Wondering out loud, but was wondering if I could mount the Orvis basket on the H-Bar (standing assist bar)?
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/26/19 02:33 AM

For me, I prefer to throw over the left side of my PA12, when I strip in, I try to leave the loose line in the water on port side. I also flipped my rudder handles 180 degrees. Still get some snags on all the various spots line can grab, but this may help reduce some for you.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/26/19 03:53 AM

Disclaimer... I don't fly fish, but my son does. So, I have very limited experience by proxy.

Have you considered a waist mounted stripping basket and/or getting rid of the standing H-Rail?

To me, the standing H-Rail seems like more like tip hazard than savior. When standing in a yak, balance is best found in your feet and "sea legs". Personally, I would not lean on a bar that has 4' of leverage to tip you over.

If you prefer something more than sea legs, a few guys have made outriggers to provide a little extra stability.

Just my two cents.

Posted By: TCU Reefer

Re: Fly fishing out of a Hobie PA? - 05/26/19 02:39 PM

I use this:
Pop Up Laundry Basket

To add weight, I bought hard plastic peg boardhard plastic peg board from Home Depot, cut to fit and put zip ties pointing up to help with untangling my line. I'll usually pop out the mirage drive when I get to a spot. When I'm done, I collapse it and slide it under my seat. Works great.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum