Texas Fishing Forum

Buying a 2nd yak

Posted By: janie

Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 02:22 PM

Only had my NuCanoe a few weeks and already looking at buying another. Keep checking this one out at Academy.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pe...p-fishing-kayak#repChildCatSku=114095280

Really hoping it will be on sale over Memorial Day weekend.

Has features I like and think it'd be fun to take one out one weekend and then vice versa. Maybe get some friends interested to tag along with as well.

Geez fellas, this girl is hooked. I may need to check myself into the Betty Yak clinic for the paddling impaired. roflmao
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 02:49 PM

Pelican is coming out with some really nice kayaks including a pedal yak. I owned a Catch 120 for about a month then sold it. Something about the plastic compared to other yaks I just didn't trust. If you have a $500-$600 price range I would hold out for something in the classifieds here or Craigslist.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Pelican is coming out with some really nice kayaks including a pedal yak. I owned a Catch 120 for about a month then sold it. Something about the plastic compared to other yaks I just didn't trust. If you have a $500-$600 price range I would hold out for something in the classifieds here or Craigslist.

Thank you for sharing that info. I can up the budget if need be. I do check here, CL, Offer up and FB marketplace. Looking at the Vibe 110 as well. Love all the storage area's.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 04:35 PM

janie: If you have not been, check the classified on TexasKayakFisherman Forum. Always some good boats for sale there. Also, Rockport Ryan at Rockport Kayak is replacing his fleet of rentals and has some good deals on Viking kayaks, a top-notch brand. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction! IslandJim
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 04:58 PM

Buying used is a great way to save a lot of money and there are some great deals out there on quality name brands.
Just be aware of what to look for, such as cracks in the hull and repairs.
Areas to check are around the scupper holes and seat area where most of the cracks will occur.
Those areas usually will be the weakest part of a hull and suffer from abuse.
The keel area as well from excessive dragging over rocks and oyster reefs.
Best to give a used kayak a good look over.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 06:36 PM

I hear ya. I keep looking at lighter paddle yaks that I can drag/carry to hard to reach waters and for urban waters where a PA is "too much".

When I find myself looking, I simply try to look away scared
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 07:43 PM

Janie you crack me up. eek It's addictive right! I was able to resist on buying another kayak (ok I occasionally still look) but then got carried away on mods.

I agree with JJ4MEL when I looked at the Pelican my gut told me it wasn't a good way to go. I've looked at the new pedal drive model they have and definitely would not go that route.

We have 3 kayaks and I haven't bought one of them new. Too many good deals out there on used.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 08:04 PM

I have 7 kayaks currently and agreed to purchase another yesterday. Personally id get a better paddling kayak if i were you. Something that wont kill you in the wind. The perception sport pescidor is a really good budget option.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 08:06 PM

Rockport ryan is also a great option. One of our favorite kayaks made is the viking profish 400. Its lightning fast, super stable and super light weight. Also all water capable.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
Rockport ryan is also a great option. One of our favorite kayaks made is the viking profish 400. Its lightning fast, super stable and super light weight. Also all water capable.

Christian I love the design of the Vikings. If I didn't have a bum shoulder that keeps me from being able to rely on paddling I would have a Profish Reload.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

Christian I love the design of the Vikings. If I didn't have a bum shoulder that keeps me from being able to rely on paddling I would have a Profish Reload.

I had 3 reloads, they are nice but my favorite viking is the 440, 400 being a very close second then reload. The reload is prob one of the prettiest kayaks made.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 08:42 PM

OP , does everything come with it that is shown in the pictures at Academy ?? Might Suggest if you have a Tractors Supply near you check them out too . Local TS in Odessa out on HWY191 has several . I was driving by and saw them propped up by their fence .

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...ting_Goods-_-SubCategory-_-BoatingKayaks
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/17/19 11:36 PM

I have 7 kayaks currently and agreed to purchase another yesterday. Personally id get a better paddling kayak if i were you. Something that wont kill you in the wind. The perception sport pescidor is a really good budget option.

Agree with getting a better paddling kayak. Once you feel the difference its hard to paddle a barge. roflmao Biggest mistake I ever made in kayaking was selling one of my kayaks to a lady that fell in love with it the first time she paddled it (RTM, Disco) France. The second biggest mistake was the same day, when I sold my backup Perception Illusion to her husband. bang They both had Ocean Kayak Scramblers and thought my two used kayaks were rockets.

This thread has me contemplating ordering another Disco. Only place in US that I've found that still carries them is in Florida. bang[Linked Image]

For anyone up to 170 lbs, this kayak was incredible. Over 14 feet and 26 inches wide, weighed 50 lbs.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/19/19 11:04 PM

The Pelican brand gets a bad rap, but it's an entry level kayak and they've come a long way from those early days when they seemed to get their negative reviews with their Castaway kayaks.
Even then there were a lot of kayakers that got their start with the old Pelicans.
The one in your link should fit you fine, as it's going to be super stable and best of all it only weighs in at 58# and a lot of folks that is manageable weight to handle loading and unloading.
A problem with some of the higher end kayaks of the same size and features are close to or right at 100#, and that's a brick when it comes to a ten foot kayak.
Don't be scared away by those who probably never owned a Pelican kayak, but listen to those who actually own one.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/19/19 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
The Pelican brand gets a bad rap, but it's an entry level kayak and they've come a long way from those early days when they seemed to get their negative reviews with their Castaway kayaks.
Even then there were a lot of kayakers that got their start with the old Pelicans.
The one in your link should fit you fine, as it's going to be super stable and best of all it only weighs in at 58# and a lot of folks that is manageable weight to handle loading and unloading.
A problem with some of the higher end kayaks of the same size and features are close to or right at 100#, and that's a brick when it comes to a ten foot kayak.
Don't be scared away by those who probably never owned a Pelican kayak, but listen to those who actually own one.

In regards to my reply to this thread, i said if i were her i would look at a better paddling kayak. She already has a super stable kayak. The pelican may be a good kayak for a newcomer and many people may have got their start in one but it doesnt mean that it paddles well and doesnt mean it is good at all in any wind. There are better choices for more conditions in the budget range of kayaks.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/21/19 03:13 PM

If used is something you are looking at there is a really good deal on a used Wilderness Systems Ride 135 on this forum for $650. I've never owned a Pelican but I'm guessing a definite upgrade.

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/21/19 03:51 PM

Thanks you so much fellas. Not in a rush at all, but still feel having a 2nd yak around would be a good idea. Also looked at the Diablo model's. They look like fun as well. Can't wait to get on the water again. These yak's are the coolest thing to come along since sliced bread. banana
Posted By: timid tiger

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/21/19 05:05 PM

Did a little google search about pelican kayaks and the hull material it uses.
It seems Pelican took over Coleman's kayak & Canoe business and uses what Coleman has been using, which is called RAM X.

Ram X is a version of polyethylene called HMWPE (high molecular weight polyethylene), compared to the HDPE (high density polyethylene) that most other rotomolded kayaks use. Here is online info of comparison between HMWPE & HDPE: https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/...High-Molecular-Weight-Polyethylene-HMWPE

I do not own a Pelican but has checked them out in Academy. From my limited experience and knowledge I feel their hull material has "harder" "more abrasion resistant" feel, but also it feels thinner and more flexible. Their price for their higher end models such as the catch 120 etc are not that cheap either. They are thermoformed but it's different from the thermoformed ABS hulls (Hurrican, Carribean kayaks). Whether their build and design quality of pelican kayaks is good or not is a different issue, which I have no idea.

Sorry for the long googly technical stuff - I thought it was interesting...
hammer
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 05/21/19 05:57 PM

Dick's is having their memorial day sale and they have had the best prices of the year on their kayaks during this time.
Posted By: NorthwestNative

Re: Buying a 2nd yak - 06/03/19 08:19 PM

Vibe Yellowfin 120
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum