Texas Fishing Forum

memorial Day Kayaking?

Posted By: Sirjet

memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/14/19 09:14 PM

I never go to the lake on the Holiday's. But i think I might go on memorial Day. I want to go Catfish and or Crappie.
My Question to the pro's is:
Would you go to:
Cedar Creek?
Tawakoni?
Or Ray Roberts?

The wind is supposed to be around 10-12 mph (that means 15-20 on Tawakoni?
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 11:05 AM

Whew buddy you're braver than me. Not familiar with those waters but hopefully where you go you can find a creek that is holding some fish or some place out of the main lake channel. Unless you hit the morning bite and done by 10 am. That would prolly work.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 12:01 PM

If you go to Ray Roberts, the further north, the better if you are wanting to avoid pleasure boats. Buck Creek launch was closed last I heard but it might be open now. Jordan is your next best bet.
Posted By: janie

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 01:41 PM

Weather permitting, we'll be out but sticking to local stock tanks. Of the lakes you mentioned, RR is the only one we've fished. Like Tom mentioned, last I heard most of the ramps were closed. Hopefully they'll be open for the holiday weekend. Best of luck to you.

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 02:01 PM

I do have a question? When I went to Joe Pool Sunday. They told me the ramps was closed but I can still put my Kayak in. Is that how it normally works when it comes to closed ramps?
Posted By: JeffStapleton

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sirjet
I never go to the lake on the Holiday's. But i think I might go on memorial Day. I want to go Catfish and or Crappie.
The wind is supposed to be around 10-12 mph (that means 15-20 on Tawakoni?

Its pretty early to assume what the wind conditions will be. I would be more worried about the bigger boats and jet skis than the wind. I'd consider any of the smaller lakes that don't allow jetskis/ski boats... but those may be packed with fishermen trying to avoid them as well. If all else fails, I hear a lot of guys talking about river fishing. No big boats + shielded from the wind could = a great day

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 05:39 PM

I am leaning towards the northern part of Ray Roberts. A lot of trees. and NO jet Ski's.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 10:54 PM

Im gonna keep an eye on this post. I might meet you there, i live right next to ray rob

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/15/19 10:58 PM

Oh, and for those concerned, buck creek boat launch is closed but us kayak people can still put in. The lake is up really high so the ramp is covered. They pulled the dock

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/16/19 02:21 PM

Christian Myrick. What will you be going after if we go out there on MD?

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/16/19 07:55 PM

Im all about the big cats. Ive also got a few good spots on ray rob unless you have other plans.

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/16/19 08:05 PM

I have none.

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/20/19 06:07 PM

Christian, have to you seen the wind for Next Monday? 17+

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/20/19 08:02 PM

No sir. I never look at the weather. I dont have tv....dont want it.

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/20/19 08:06 PM

Are you still going to go out from Buck creek Monday?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/20/19 08:10 PM

I would find a launch spot somewhere along 922 on Ray Roberts. I pass that area once a week and it looks amazingly fishy!! Persimmon Creek looks like Crappie heaven!

Re: memorial Day Kayaking? - 05/20/19 08:18 PM

Just finding a place to park in that area is the problem. Where would you park?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum