Texas Fishing Forum

Shimano DC Reel - WOW!

Posted By: Mike@972

Shimano DC Reel - WOW! - 05/13/19 03:23 PM

One of the challenges we face when bass fishing out of a kayak is casting from a seated position. For me, this results in a shorter cast and more backlash... until now.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a Shimano Curado DC and I am very impressed. It cast a "country mile" and is crazy smoooooth. I can cast a weightless worm into the wind with no backlash. Because it casts so far, I don't have to throw hard and this has resulted in improved accuracy. For me, the reel has been well worth the money.

Aside from my huge kayak, I tend to be value-minded when purchasing fishing gear. I take care of my stuff and find that mid-grade gear serves me just fine. However, recognizing that I was replacing a 25-year-old Shimano Curado K, I bit the bullet and justified the $250 price tag. I figured the DC will cost $10 per year if I can keep in from falling overboard. LOL.

Just passing this along in case some of you are in the market for a new baitcaster. If so, you might want to give the DC a hard look. It's $75 more than the Curado K's... but once you cast it, you will know where the extra money went! There is absolutely no comparison to the K's.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SHI...jDJHke1f1RoCc3AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posted By: Brad R

Re: Shimano DC Reel - WOW! - 05/13/19 03:29 PM

Mike,

Curious what line you have spooled on your DC?

Thanks! Brad

Re: Shimano DC Reel - WOW! - 05/13/19 03:44 PM

I'm in the minority... I fish light line. I use 10lb mono most of the time. Occasionally, I will use 12lb.

I throw a lot of plastics and feel the lighter line gives me more distance, feel and finesse. The 10 lb serves me well but I constantly check for abrasion and re-tie a lot.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Shimano DC Reel - WOW! - 05/13/19 03:50 PM

I love the DC so much I bought two of them. I was a big less guy but I bit the bullet and bought a DC, a month later and some overtime I bought another. Love that reel soooooo much. Like you stated I can cast farther sitting in my yak. I have one spooled with 12lb fluro and another with 17lb fluro

Re: Shimano DC Reel - WOW! - 05/13/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nekro
I love the DC so much I bought two of them. I was a big less guy but I bit the bullet and bought a DC, a month later and some overtime I bought another. Love that reel soooooo much. Like you stated I can cast farther sitting in my yak. I have one spooled with 12lb fluro and another with 17lb fluro

I'm heading down the same road.... I'm going to buy another one for my cranking rod soon!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum