Texas Fishing Forum

Twin Coves on Grapevine?

Posted By: Mofishin1990

Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 03/29/19 08:41 PM

Has anybody fished this area? It's on the Flower Mound side of Grapevine. I got told at the office today that it was a really good spot.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 03/29/19 09:30 PM

It can be a good spot. Easy access with a nice kayak launch dock. Plenty of fishy spots.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 03/29/19 09:39 PM

I like it. I have not pulled any lake records out of there, but I've caught some nice fish (2lb to 4lb bass).

You can fish the main lake point all the way into a deep cove. It has rock, grass, flooded timber, brush, and reeds.

The cove used to be a small creek (I assume it was a seasonal creek?)... you can follow it back to very skinny water.

As Todd said, it has a really nice launch dock. It also has a pavilion near the launch if you want to get out of the sun for a few minutes.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 03/30/19 09:34 PM

I have fished the coves pretty extensively in my yak over the last 10 years. The back of the western cove can be good for largemouth when the water is a few feet high. You can also catch crappie fishing the marina in the eastern cove. Smallmouth can sometimes be found off the rocks. And next month the white bass will be cruising the north shoreline of the lake. I never use the kayak launch thing - just take the next right turn toward the lake, park, and walk 20 yards down a gently slope to the shoreline. You do have to pay daily admission or get an annual pass. You can also access the coves of Murrell Park from Twin Coves - about a 10 minute paddle to the east.
Posted By: Mofishin1990

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 04/01/19 02:54 PM

I went out on Sunday with my Uncle. He has a friend who has a slip at the marina there so we didn't go through the park. We launched off of a somewhat suitable spot next to the parking lot and started paddling out. Wind was blowing us around a bit but it wasn't too bad. It was my Uncle's first time out on his kayak so we were taking it slow, and staying relativity close to the shore. I made a few casts to wards some empty slips and turned around to make my way towards the bank. As soon as I did I got to see my Uncle take a dive off the side of his yak! After I made sure he was OK, I had some laughs. He didn't have any extra clothes so we paddled back up and loaded his gear. The wind was too cold to be out in wet clothes that morning.
I paddled back out after helping Soggy Bottom load up his gear. I paddled around the marina and up to the North part of the Eastern cove. The wind really made it a workout, bu I did manage to find a few calm areas to rest and make a few casts. After fighting the wind and occasionally getting to make a few casts in between, I decided to move back down and check out the West cove. Once I made it down to the South end of the marina, I figured I had had enough and would head back in.

Grand total of fish caught for being out 7 hours = Zilch. I got skunked. bang

I saw people in their boats catch a couple using soft plastics. I was doing the same, but the wind was pushing me so bad that I wasn't able to work anything slow enough. But what can you do? All in all had a great day on the water even though I got skunked. I will definitely be going back once the weather warms up.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 04/01/19 04:07 PM

Sunday (and Saturday) was too cold and windy for me to venture out... You have my respect!
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Twin Coves on Grapevine? - 04/01/19 05:37 PM

When the wind is out of the north with some strength to it, find a shoreline that faces the wind - there is one on the western side of Twin Coves about 200 yards north of the cove's mouth. The wind will blow the baitfish up against the shore there. When the winds are out of the south, you might try leaving the cove and fishing the main lake's northern shoreline, either east or west of Twin Coves.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum