Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek

Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek - 10/11/18 03:32 PM

I'm betting on a repeat this year..

Sometimes the fish will make a run up the creeks in the fall of the year just like they do in the spring if the lake rises from floodwater in the September-October timeframe. If memory serves me right, 2014 when that "best crappie" video was shot was real similar to this year leading up to November. The lower end of the Yegua has many deep pools and plenty of space to support many bass, catfish and crappie which it certainly does most years. The lake did go down about 3 feet over the summer but the Yegua didn't go dry which means that any resident fish should be in fine condition. The lake is still about 1.5 foot low which makes it difficult for anything other than kayakers to access the creek coming up from the lake (Nails Creek Park). We got lots of rain 2 days ago in the lake Somerville watershed and all that runoff should be making its way to the lake. I'm thinking the lake will be at or above normal level by next weekend Oct. 20th-21st. This weekend up the creeks is probably a washout with all that muddy new water coming down.
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek - 10/11/18 05:04 PM

sure doesn't look like winter time. also, are they going to let you park at Newman's?
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek - 10/11/18 05:10 PM

November 1st. I don't know the status of access to Newmans Bottom but suspect the trailway is still closed due to flood damage.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek - 10/12/18 01:06 PM

Went up to Hallettsville Kolache festival a couple of weeks ago and could help but think of you when we crossed the Yegua , miss seeing all you videos , my wife loves your video work and I love the fishing .
Posted By: doctorliver

Re: Lake Somerville's Yegua Creek - 10/13/18 07:34 PM

Launched at the Nails Creek boat ramp today. Was unsuccessful getting into Yegua or Nails. Unless Newmans opens up or we get a significant amount of rain, not sure how easy it will be to get into the creeks without a significantly long drag through the mud.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum