Texas Fishing Forum

Deep water techniques

Posted By: hurricanecraig

Deep water techniques - 08/09/18 07:18 PM

What deep what techniques do you use from your kayak for black bass?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/09/18 07:57 PM

Few spend much time out in truly deep water, not that we have that many lakes with water > 45 feet or so. But, at least a few of the tournament guys set up out pretty deep and often use a Carolina Rig to see if they can find black bass.

I always did a bit of drop shot fishing at Wheeler Branch, not so much in the 80+ feet out there but working it off the fall away ledge on the dam side of the island.

I suppose the big deal to fishing deep is to figure out where they are in the water column, attack it from there.

Are you using some techniques already for it?

Brad
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/09/18 09:28 PM

I have had great luck at Fork fishing deep humps or points 30'-35'. I mostly use a jig and bounce it off any structure I can find. If no structure is present, I use a carolina rig.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/09/18 10:55 PM

Not sure this qualifies as a deep water technique, but I've had good success with a wacky rig using one of those weighted wacky jigs. I've used it on Senko's or other stick baits that are 5-7". If you're patient you can get down to 10-15'. 20 feet is probably tough. You have to let it fall for awhile to get down deeper. Watch your line and every now and then give it a very small twitch - don't try to lift it, just try to wiggle it. If you work it too much then it wont get down deep. sometimes they will just casually inhale it and swim away so you have to pay attention.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/10/18 01:10 PM

Deep water LMB fishing is my favorite

3/4oz swim jig
3/4oz football jig
big spoon
1oz crig
drop shot
deep crank--long lining or trolling with a pedal kayak.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/10/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

3/4oz swim jig
3/4oz football jig
big spoon
1oz crig
drop shot

^^^this

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/10/18 02:24 PM

I've been using a Carolina rig with a 1 oz weight. Deepest I've fished in is 35 feet.
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Few spend much time out in truly deep water, not that we have that many lakes with water > 45 feet or so. But, at least a few of the tournament guys set up out pretty deep and often use a Carolina Rig to see if they can find black bass.

I always did a bit of drop shot fishing at Wheeler Branch, not so much in the 80+ feet out there but working it off the fall away ledge on the dam side of the island.

I suppose the big deal to fishing deep is to figure out where they are in the water column, attack it from there.

Are you using some techniques already for it?

Brad

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/10/18 02:24 PM

What depth are you fishing those?

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

3/4oz swim jig
3/4oz football jig
big spoon
1oz crig
drop shot
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/10/18 03:18 PM

15ft plus usually

The sweet spot is usually on humps or ridges and channel swings with timber just above the thermocline in the summer. Thermocline usually around 25fow at the lakes I fish.

Similar locations, but a bit shallower prespawn--heavy 3/4oz-1oz red trap slowly retrieved over a hump prespawn in 15fow close to a spawning flat can be deadly

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/13/18 01:53 PM

Caught them in 4-6 feet on Saturday. I can handle that water depth roflmao
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Deep water techniques - 08/17/18 10:40 PM

There's also a good thread over in the bass forum on deep water techniques...……
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum