Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts 08/02/2018

Posted By: jublhu4

Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 07/30/18 02:58 PM

This will only be my 2nd trip on the kayak and first solo trip. Really wanting to get on some fish, and it doesn't matter what kind. Would love to jump up some whites or hybrids. Seen a few blow ups from schools yesterday while on the water, but wasn't able to snag a bite. Any insight on how to stringer a few would be would be highly appreciated. PS - i dont have any electronics on my yak.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 07/30/18 04:51 PM

Put in at Pecan boat ramp. ( only ramp that is free). Go north under lone oak bridge and throw slabs. Keep an eye open for schools.

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 07/30/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
Put in at Pecan boat ramp. ( only ramp that is free). Go north under lone oak bridge and throw slabs. Keep an eye open for schools.

Just keep rolling north into spring creek? or is that elm creek? but start by the bridge, or how far north?

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 07/30/18 07:52 PM

Under the bridge to start with, on the west side and work north and south of the bridge +-75 yrds. Just hang around the bridge throwing slabs. Towards the middle there are trees on the north side.
If you want largemouth go north and work the West Bank. Creek channels, points, drop offs, old ponds. Throw plastics for the largemouth.
If the fish are hitting you will be able to spend the day around the bridge.

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 07/30/18 08:48 PM

Under the bridge to start with, on the west side and work north and south of the bridge +-75 yrds. Just hang around the bridge throwing slabs. Towards the middle there are trees on the north side.
If you want largemouth go north and work the West Bank. Creek channels, points, drop offs, old ponds. Throw plastics for the largemouth.
If the fish are hitting you will be able to spend the day around the bridge.

ive done real good there for crappie in the past. thanks!
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 08/03/18 03:57 AM

How did you do?

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 08/05/18 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tech03
How did you do?

got skunked. I did see some white bass hitting the top of the water in some places, and got some bites on a white swimbait, but didnt land one. Seen a huge white bass come completely out of the water like a great white shark breaching the surface on a seal.. lol

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 08/05/18 03:15 PM

Did you try throwing a slab? I came across the two bridges yesterday and saw them schooling on the west bridge. It was about 3:30pm. Sometimes the schools stay up for awhile and sometimes the bust the shad and go back down. But they don’t have to be schooling to catch the sandies. Just watch you fish finder for schools.

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 08/05/18 10:37 PM

Did you try throwing a slab? I came across the two bridges yesterday and saw them schooling on the west bridge. It was about 3:30pm. Sometimes the schools stay up for awhile and sometimes the bust the shad and go back down. But they don’t have to be schooling to catch the sandies. Just watch you fish finder for schools.

whats this "slab" you speaketh of?? also, i dont have a fish finder.. just a kayak and a paddle.. lol

Re: Ray Roberts 08/02/2018 - 08/06/18 05:58 PM

Like a spoon. Just a hunk of metal with a treble hook at one end.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum