Texas Fishing Forum

New guy here

Posted By: davebda

New guy here - 07/20/18 01:38 AM

Hi, new guy here. Wondering how many of you take your kayak out on the ocean? I have fished the East Cape out of Rancho Leaonero many times and I fish up and down the California coast. Just wondering how many of you ocean fish and what you chase?
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: New guy here - 07/20/18 01:25 PM

Not me amigo but welcome!

Mostly out here in North Texas (Dallas/Ft.Worth area) most guys fish lakes, ponds, or rivers.

Some do go down to the Gulf and chase fish. But I will let them share with you as I have not done it myself.

What do you fish for in Cali? I am from LA myself and used to fish Calicos and the like... the usual suspects of onshore fishing in So Cal.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: New guy here - 07/20/18 02:20 PM

Check out Prof. Salt/Glenn Madden on YouTube.
Posted By: jcrash

Re: New guy here - 07/20/18 02:45 PM

Try www.texaskayakfisherman.com. Lots of salty guys in the forum
Posted By: Todd™

Re: New guy here - 07/20/18 03:04 PM

I fish inshore when down at the coast. I would like to go BTB but when I take a trip down to the coast the wind is always to bad for it. I think there are only like two days out of the year the wind isn't bad at the Texas coast. Reds and trout. This forum is mostly freshwater and north Texas fisherman.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New guy here - 07/21/18 05:44 AM

I've fished East Cape, but not the same one that you do. roflmao Plan to fish it again this fall for snook, trout, red fish, tarpon, and triple tail.

https://goo.gl/maps/gj92yuXMY7H2
Posted By: karstopo

Re: New guy here - 07/21/18 10:24 AM

It’s been a long time since I have been offshore or Beyond the Breakers, BTB in a kayak.

There’s a lot that do go offshore. People go off Crystal Beach/Bolivar for bull redfish and sharks. Action is usually pretty close to shore and comes on soaking chunks of bait.

Lots of people troll lures for king mackerel, Spanish mackerel, jack Crevalle. A few places have oil rigs close enough or other subsurface structures to go after ling. Snapper, spadefish and the like.

There’s Tarpon and tripletail in close, close enough for a kayak.

This forum as it has been mentioned is not one with a lot of saltwater folks.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: New guy here - 07/21/18 11:06 PM

Just got back from btb just south of Bob Hall pier. Son caught a lemon and I had a run on a ribbon fish that broke the line. Get used to how your kayak handles, which way it wants to turn in waves. Magicseaweed.com will give you info on surf conditions. Your looking for under 2 ft with greater than 3 second period and winds under 14. Strap or tie everything down. You will turtle at least once. Go with someone the first time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum