Texas Fishing Forum

great deal on fishing kayak at Academy

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/16/18 12:00 AM

If you've been wanting to give kayak fishing a try, you can't beat this deal.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/percept...#repChildCatid=

$399 for a $600+ kayak with life jacket and paddle included.

Posted By: Clay34

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/16/18 03:41 AM

A quick story: your story might be different but this is what I learned about myself several times.
I buy a fly tying vise and end up with one that offered a lot of value a Danvise for $100. Nice rotary vice but before I even put money down, I WANTED a nicer vise. Within a month I buy a Peak vise, $150. Nice vise but before I even put money down, I WANTED a DynaKing Barracuda. So within the next 60 days I buy a Dyna-King Barracuda.

Did I save a dime by trying a value product?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/16/18 10:22 AM

Great deal including the paddle and pfd

Perfect kayak to find out how much you enjoy kayak fishing, how you like to kayak fish, what kind of modifications are worthwhile to you, etc
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/16/18 04:07 PM

I like the fact that it comes with an American paddle and not one of them fancy metric ones. The metric paddles never seem to fit my Imperial sized hands.
Posted By: BKT

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/16/18 05:12 PM

Solid yak at a great price! I've taken mine in lakes, rivers, creeks and the Gulf without any problems at all.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/19/18 04:56 PM

Yep, excellent deal for a great kayak. Bought my son one a couple years ago and he loves it. The wife has used it occasionally as well and likes it.

Convinced a couple of my guys to pick them up while on sale. They are hooked now
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/19/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Clay34
A quick story: your story might be different but this is what I learned about myself several times.
I buy a fly tying vise and end up with one that offered a lot of value a Danvise for $100. Nice rotary vice but before I even put money down, I WANTED a nicer vise. Within a month I buy a Peak vise, $150. Nice vise but before I even put money down, I WANTED a DynaKing Barracuda. So within the next 60 days I buy a Dyna-King Barracuda.

LOL. Been there.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/20/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout
Originally Posted By: Clay34

LOL. Been there.

The difference here is the Perception Pescador is a well made kayak. It's a lot better than most of the intro junk the major retailers sell. While the $399 deal is over, the package is still a bargain at $461.97.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/24/18 08:44 PM

This used to be the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. When wilderness rolls out new models Perception takes over their old line with new names.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/24/18 09:24 PM

Wrong, Chance: It's the old Tarpon 120. Great kayak. The picture shows the OLD Pescador 12. Some of Academy's ads show the newer one, where they molded in big tubes behind the seat, and left out the flush rod holders, like the Pescador Sport 12. Not one of their better moves. The seats in them suck, but work, and the bottom of the seat pan is lower than the scupper holes in the seat, which means wet butt. You can add a 1-1/2" closed cell foam pad and it will get you above the water. I added two flush rod holders forward, a better seat, a rudder, made some one-way drain valves for the scupper holes, and mine is a fishing machine! Tippy, but 60 pounds and fat. IslandJim
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/29/18 11:46 PM

That is a great deal on a solid kayak. I bought my first kayak a 10ft version off of a guy on Craigslist for like $300 and I fished out of it very happily for 2 years and still occasionally take it even though I bought a bigger more comfortable yak to fish out of for long trips. I still enjoy how fast it is to paddle compared to my new kayak. It was practically brand new guy said he had ised it 3 times and it just sat in the garage cause he didn’t have time for it. Its such a good yak I vowed to keep it for buddies and my kids.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 06/30/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13
That is a great deal on a solid kayak. I bought my first kayak a 10ft version off of a guy on Craigslist for like $300 and I fished out of it very happily for 2 years and still occasionally take it even though I bought a bigger more comfortable yak to fish out of for long trips. I still enjoy how fast it is to paddle compared to my new kayak. It was practically brand new guy said he had ised it 3 times and it just sat in the garage cause he didn’t have time for it. Its such a good yak I vowed to keep it for buddies and my kids.

Most folks go for wider kayaks their second go around and always wished they had kept their skinnier kayak they started with for others to use. Good decision on your part! cheers
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 07/03/18 02:19 AM

Not a bad boat, but the seat is garbage. The Pescador Pro is much much better....
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 07/12/18 01:27 PM

I used to have a Wilderness systems (2008) Ride135 1 1/2 foot longer, and slightly wider, that had basically the same hull design, and the exact seat.
If you weigh over 200# you will get a wet butt because the seat pan area doesn't drain.
What I did with mine was put scupper plugs in, and the wet seat problem went away, so unless you have a wave come over in extreme conditions you stayed dry.
Other than that, it was my favorite kayak, and I wish I still had it.
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 07/12/18 07:33 PM

Posted By: shanedaviesguide.com

Re: great deal on fishing kayak at Academy - 07/23/18 05:03 PM

I was able to locate and pick up 4 of them on this package deal. While at Academy I looked them over for minor scratches and was able to get an additional 10% off each one by asking and getting a manager involved. Heck of a deal @ $360.00
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum