Texas Fishing Forum

Llano River

Posted By: DaleW

Llano River - 03/30/18 03:48 PM

Anyone ever kayaked/canoed the llano from FM 1871 to hwy 87 between Mason and Fredericksburg?
Posted By: MJFort

Re: Llano River - 04/04/18 01:23 PM

I have not. I have done the State Park to Junction several times and it is good.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Llano River - 04/05/18 01:58 AM

MJFort - approx miles State Park to Junction?
Posted By: DaleW

Re: Llano River - 04/05/18 01:25 PM

Were also looking at doing hwy 87 to Castell. Anybody done that?
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Llano River - 04/05/18 04:48 PM

The first mile or so from White's Crossing (FM 1871) is difficult or impossible to paddle under normal flows given the flutes; easy to see on Google Earth. So, there's not a lot of people who paddle that stretch.

I've done the South Llano from 2nd Crossing to Junction and the Llano from Junction to Yates Crossing. Junction/Yates is a great 3 day/two night float and 2nd Crossing/Junction is a great 2day/1night float when fishing. Yates Crossing (RR 385) to White's Crossing isn't a viable option either on normal floats due to the many miles of flutes which would require dragging, especially the last few miles. US 87 to Castell Crossing is a solid one day fishing float.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Llano River - 04/05/18 04:52 PM

You can also put in at James River Crossing and float to Castell for a longer float trip.
Posted By: MJFort

Re: Llano River - 04/07/18 05:01 PM

5 miles South Llano State Park to Junction TX.

http://www.junctiontexas.net/pdf/River%20Map.pdf

over view map.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Llano River - 04/17/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: MJFort
5 miles South Llano State Park to Junction TX.

http://www.junctiontexas.net/pdf/River%20Map.pdf

over view map.

thanks cool
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Llano River - 04/17/18 10:08 PM

Ive done it a couple times, last time in 2015. Like the earlier post said, shallow and rocky the first quarter to half mile, under normal flows you'll probably have to walk it. The currents real fast though so its kinda like holding on to the side of it and running/stumbling/falling. The the last mile or so before 87 is a massive rock garden, you'll be doing a lot of dragging through here, pack light. It gets better between 87 and Castell.
Someone mentioned above about the stretch from Junction to Yates. That's the best stretch I think, with the least dragging. Nice scenery and a lot of fun little rapids. Hope you have a great trip
Posted By: joemac224

Re: Llano River - 04/23/18 07:45 PM

I had a buddy that did the exact stretch you are talking about two weekends ago... He said the fishing was okay, but the dragging was horrible. He said they dragged as much if not more than they paddled. He said he wouldn't go back until the area upstream got some rain. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum