Texas Fishing Forum

The driftsock topic

Posted By: timbertoes

The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 03:33 PM

hehe.
I expect to be on a 20-30 acre pond Saturday afternoon..going to be windy.
Having never used a driftsock on a yak, I wonder if I will end up turtling or some other cussing fit.
perhaps I should consider a stakeout pole ? I guess that limits me to certain depths.
Have an Academy drift sock.
do many of youse guys sue a driftsock?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 03:46 PM

Just remember when you drift with a high wind you better be drifting toward your take out area or look forward to making little to no progress paddling/peddling into the wind to reach your take out.
20 or 30 acre pond will be no problem, but on a large lake it could be this time of year especially.
I've used one but not in a strong wind say over 10 to 12 mph.

Re: The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 05:01 PM

ah, I think I see what your saying here!

I probably will be better tossing out the anchor
Posted By: Todd™

Re: The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 05:21 PM

I use them all the time. I like to tie an extra 5 foot of rope to get it away from the kayak and put a small float on the end. They fill up better that way. I attach it to my anchor trolley so I can position it where it keeps me pointing the way I want. You won't have issues with turtling. Just remember to pull it out if the water slowly so it can drain. I also prefer the 36 inch or bigger drift socks.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: timbertoes
ah, I think I see what your saying here!

I probably will be better tossing out the anchor

Anchoring solid in high winds will get you splashed a lot and jerked around if not turtled. Safer to use the soft pull on a sock than a solid anchor point.

Re: The driftsock topic - 03/23/18 07:44 PM

thanks, I had no idea that could happen!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum