Texas Fishing Forum

Depth Finders

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Depth Finders - 03/01/18 06:39 PM

Well, somehow or another, my Lowrance HDI 5 got pretty wet, and now it doesnt work anymore. I sent an email to lowrance asking about getting the unit refurbished or replaced, but worst case scenario...

What are some of the better bang for your buck units. Mainly looking for gps/plotting and something to find structure for catching blue cats
Posted By: craigfish

Re: Depth Finders - 03/03/18 03:19 AM

I just installed a raymarine dradonfly 4 pro. Its been awesome so far
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Depth Finders - 03/06/18 08:02 PM

Shop used. Big bass rogs update regularly and you can get a lot more for your money. A lot of times boats come stock with smaller graphs and guys sell brand new smaller units that we are thrilled to have on a kayak for pennies on the dollar.
Posted By: Mooreg9

Re: Depth Finders - 03/07/18 01:31 AM

i heard that the lowrance hook 4 is a pretty good unit for the price
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Depth Finders - 03/09/18 07:56 PM

Humminbird produces a better unit than Lowrance. Easier to use and set and offers features that Lowrance does not.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Depth Finders - 03/09/18 11:05 PM

I see that Lowrance bought out one of the "castable" ball-shaped fish-finders. It will compete with Deeper, another popular model of the same sort.

I know they are limited, but for someone looking for general information: contours, structure/cover, depth and water temp, I am surprised these aren't way more popular for kayak anglers. Maybe they are and I just don't know it.

On the Lowrance model, Deeper, too, you can drag the thing or cast it and map out a lake's contour.

Anyway, if nothing else, it does away with all of the mounting issues.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum