Texas Fishing Forum

13’6” 86# kayak: how far would you allow it to span between supports?

Posted By: LearnedHat

13’6” 86# kayak: how far would you allow it to span between supports? - 02/18/18 02:29 AM

Mounting on aquaracks in garage and most workable way puts 8’8” between supports .
Posted By: Neumie

Re: 13’6” 86# kayak: how far would you allow it to span between supports? - 02/18/18 04:03 AM

Should be OK, but would be better if you could get them a little closer together by about 2 feet?
Posted By: Todd™

Re: 13’6” 86# kayak: how far would you allow it to span between supports? - 02/19/18 03:49 PM

IMO it won't be ok. Typical they should be about 1/3 kayak length from each end. That's 4'6" feet between supports on yours. At 8'8" it could sag in the summer heat. Some manufactures will state the distance in the manual. If you don't have one they sometimes have them online. Most of the Wilderness systems 13'6" kayaks recommend 54" (4'6") between supports.
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: 13’6” 86# kayak: how far would you allow it to span between supports? - 02/19/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
IMO it won't be ok. Typical they should be about 1/3 kayak length from each end. That's 4'6" feet between supports on yours. At 8'8" it could sag in the summer heat. Some manufactures will state the distance in the manual. If you don't have one they sometimes have them online. Most of the Wilderness systems 13'6" kayaks recommend 54" (4'6") between supports.

Thanks Todd. I'm not even sure I am going to be able to get it in my garage. I may have to do something with on my backyard fence. Guess I'll just bathe it in Aerospace 303 and cover it with a reflective tarp. Don't really want to do that but the garage only has one spot that will work and I think the getting it up to that spot and back down is going to be impractical.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum