Texas Fishing Forum

New Kayak Advice

Posted By: CanadianAggie11

New Kayak Advice - 01/23/18 10:28 PM

I am looking for some advice on purchasing my first fishing kayak. I have some kayak experience, but it is definitely not extensive. Right now I have a small bass boat and would like to have a kayak for easier short fishing trips and easier access to smaller, lake fed, creeks. This being my first kayak, I don't want to spend $4k quite yet. I would like to keep it below $1,200 but still get a quality kayak. I have been looking at the Vibe Sea Ghost 130. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Happy fishing!
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/23/18 10:31 PM

Check craiglist. You can usually find pretty good deals on used Kayaks and not have to pay as much.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/23/18 11:53 PM

Don't go cheap on the paddle, you can get a nice 30 oz paddle with a carbon fiber shaft for $150-$200. The best accessory I bought was a set of YakGrips for the paddle.

Make sure your weight plus weight of all gear doesn't exceed 70% of the weight capacity of the kayak.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 01:21 AM

Pescador Sport 120' (you better be below 240lb, though), craigslist $300-400. If you don't like it -- sell it back for same price. Typically comes with cheap pfd and paddle. It is more than enough to get you on water and catch fish. You'll spend money on luxuries (paddle at the price of kayak) later, if you ever need them.
Posted By: JoMay1961

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 02:18 AM

I was in your shoes about 8 months ago and was sure I was going to buy the sea ghost also. I went to a local on the water demo day and paddled one. It was fine but I didn't care for the floor console which seems to take up a lot of floor space when u might want to stand up and stretch ur legs. So I bought a new Old Town Predator MX. I have it rigged out nicely and still have plenty of space and capacity (400 lbs) to feel comfortable and stable. Best seat in the house.. sorry on the water... very comfy. So that's my 2 cents.
Posted By: Dmfo

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 02:28 AM

Buy you a nice 4k yak so I can get a good deal on it after it sits in your garage for a year.

anyways, I would go through your friends list and see if any of them kayak fish and if they would let you borrow their yak. Otherwise buy you a nice used cheap throwaway or something that you might be able to flip if you decide its not your thing.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 03:12 AM

Vibe yaks are nice. I got 2 of them for friends to use. I love my Jackson Coosa HD and my daughter loves her Coosa
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 05:08 PM

Demo a ton of kayaks. Your budget is great to get a super solid yak. Id sell you my viking reload for 1200. Its rigged and ready to fish. Great advise also getting a good paddle.
Posted By: nmartinez

Re: New Kayak Advice - 01/24/18 09:01 PM

I am a Huge fan of paddle it first before you buy. Demo days for alot of places will be coming up in spring, but if you want something before then, some places will let you test them out. T G Canoe and kayaks in san marcos will put you on any model they have in stock, and match you up with paddle and any other info you have. I tested the yak i was going to buy there at their shop, i didnt buy it there, i wanted to but i was able to save several hundred bucks elsewhere. If you are close to san marcos i would check them out and test out some yaks, or find out if some other places closer to you does the same.

I know 2 people who bought kayaks first before testing them, they both ended up selling those on craigslist at a lower price and buying new ones within a couple of months. Dont waste money. research, test and figure out what best suits your needs. Everyone is different, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

I went with stability over speed and maneuverability. Have a Jackson big rig and love it. will only get rid of this if they ever come out with the flex driver version.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum