Texas Fishing Forum

First Kayak trip

Posted By: Bassinfreak 7

First Kayak trip - 12/04/17 07:46 PM

Got a Kayak for Christmas and snuck it out for a little bit on Friday. Went out to Lake Grapevine in the twin coves area. Have to say I am very excited about learning to fish in this. It seems to fish effectively you have to anchor some. Any recommendations on anchors and the best way to use them? I caught one bass around 2 lbs. and lost another smaller one in a couple hours time but it was mainly a learning experience. Seems like this is going to be a great spring time method to get to areas bass boats can't get to. Anyway excited to join the Kayak club and have read through many of the threads on hear but any pointers would be much appreciated.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/04/17 08:17 PM

I have found the bruce (claw) anchor to be much more effective than the collapsible grapnel anchors. Use a bit of chain on it, and google using a zip tie for releasing a stuck anchor.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/04/17 10:40 PM

Second the bruce claw. I regularly hold 2 or 3 kayaks with my bruce claw. Light weight too. Make sure you have 100 ft of anchor line if you fish any deeper than 20-30ft. They will not bite vertically.
Posted By: Kathy Bthomas

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/23/17 06:31 AM

Hello,,,
Is anybody here???
I wanna go for fishing with my husband and it is the first time.
So can anybody help me which place is the place for the newcomer?
Posted By: KQT

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/23/17 01:38 PM

Where are you located? If you are new to kayaking consider holding off on fishing out of it until you know your ride really well. Cold water is unforgiving.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/24/17 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy Bthomas
Hello,,,
Is anybody here???
I wanna go for fishing with my husband and it is the first time.
So can anybody help me which place is the place for the newcomer?

Is it the first time for you, for him, or for both of you to kayak?

Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: First Kayak trip - 12/31/17 11:16 PM

Great video and information.
Posted By: nmartinez

Re: First Kayak trip - 01/17/18 01:02 AM

If you really get into kayak fishing, it starts to get expensive, like fishing isnt expensive enough. But it is great, i wouldnt trade my yak for anything except maybe a new model.lots of how to videos on youtube, and alot of good info here on this form as well. enjoy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum