Texas Fishing Forum

New yak, same creek

Posted By: doctorliver

New yak, same creek - 11/26/17 04:39 PM

Well after months of sitting in storage, I was finally able to get the Perception Pilot into the Yegua Creek for a little fishing. I couldn't of asked for better weather. The sun was shining, the wind was out of the north, and the water was cool but murky. Regardless, I launched at the boat ramp and set across the lake in search of fish. The bite was slow throughout the day, but I did manage to reel in several fish throughout the day. Most were undersized crappie and bass. I did reel in a nice size cat and 2 nice sized bass. Fished the creek for several hours and spent time fishing and taking photos of my catches and the scenery. Ran into 3 boaters but did not run into anyone else in a kayak. I'm sure that will change as January comes around the corner. The Perception Pilot performed well and I'm happy with the purchase. Tracked well, good stability, and great speed. Much faster than my old Jackson Kayak. Had to skip out on this weekend due to work, but there is always next weekend!!!

Posted By: Tommar

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/26/17 04:52 PM

Nice pics!

I hear a lot about the Yegua but haven’t made it there yet myself. Sounds like a kayak destination for some reason.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/26/17 05:25 PM

cheers
Posted By: craftsmanbm

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/26/17 09:02 PM

Sr. could I ask where is Yegua Creek located
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/27/17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: craftsmanbm
Sr. could I ask where is Yegua Creek located

Its a feeder to Lake Somerville.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/28/17 07:37 PM

Thanks for the report. Those pictures are incredible. What type of camera are you using?

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/30/17 03:35 AM

Using my IPhone 7. I do utilize some filters to bring out the colors.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/30/17 12:25 PM

Great photos! Those areas down there around Yegua and Nails Creek look great. I really need to make a trip down there.

For anyone who wants to see more of it, William P. Tedrick publishes videos on YouTube covering his kayak and bank fishing escapades down there. Some published here, too, but I can't recall what he calls himself here.

Here is one from his "Fish Tales" collection. Worth a viewing if you want to familiarize yourself with the area, what works and more. He covers a lot of water, different seasons, different targeted fish, etc.

His videos are also great if you are stuck inside on a rainy day.

Brad

Tedrick video
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: New yak, same creek - 11/30/17 01:31 PM

Love those pics!
Posted By: Chucked

Re: New yak, same creek - 12/02/17 02:01 PM

Where do you launch for Yegua? I was about to head to Nails creek state park today and mess around as I've never been to Somerville.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: New yak, same creek - 12/04/17 01:33 AM

that top pic is incredible

Re: New yak, same creek - 12/09/17 01:20 AM

Launch at the Nails Creek Boat ramp and paddle across to the Yegua or Nails creek.

Re: New yak, same creek - 12/09/17 01:20 AM

Thank you
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: New yak, same creek - 12/27/17 08:02 PM

Looks like a lot of fun!

Re: New yak, same creek - 01/01/18 03:30 PM

https://www.instagram.com/fishingtxlife/

Hi all, I hope this is acceptable to post here, but I started a public Instagram page to put out many of my photos that I take while fishing or traveling. Most are from Lake Somerville and many of them have been put up on this site. I don't use an expensive DSLR, but rather use my Iphone and fix up the photos. I'm not promoting anything or selling, just want to share my love for photography and fishing.
Posted By: pearow

Re: New yak, same creek - 01/01/18 04:34 PM

you make nice pics!!!!
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: New yak, same creek - 01/07/18 08:55 PM

Amazing pics, any way to get a how to tinker with photos. Bet alot of folks would be interested.

Re: New yak, same creek - 01/13/18 02:40 PM

I started utilizing a free app called snapseed. Essentially, I try to line up what I want in the center of the frame, make sure I have a nice view of the sky, and the sun isn't directly in the cameras eye. Once I open in snapseed, than I just play around with the filters and settings at home till I get the color and depth that I like. There are other photography apps on the Iphone and Android. This one just happens to be free, and it is quite good for a free app. I still have my DSLR, but the camera phone has come a long way and has really helped me the ability to expand my love for photography. Also, much easier to carry on the kayak!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum